2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

24 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Beginning to think QOTSA will be removed from the bill. Was never announced and Homme is in the shit atm.

Wolf Alice, who we collectively sorta think might sub Other, would slot up into position very easily.

Not sure on this, unless proven guilty I can’t see GF removing him, more likely he pulls out and QOTSA don’t tour due to ‘personal reasons’.

Just now, dentalplan said:

They’re headlining it!

They are, but it's hardly a high prestige gig is it? 20k capacity and £45 tickets suggest that huge sums of money haven't changed hands.

To me that suggests they might be more open to taking lower profile gigs than before, still don't expect them to be at Glastonbury because they never are, but there's slightly more reason to hope than before.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

They are, but it's hardly a high prestige gig is it? 20k capacity and £45 tickets suggest that huge sums of money haven't changed hands.

To me that suggests they might be more open to taking lower profile gigs than before, still don't expect them to be at Glastonbury because they never are, but there's slightly more reason to hope than before.

I would say headlining medium festivals precisely says that they’re more interested in being the headliner than the support, but I guess we don’t know either way.

I think they’re money-motivated, and that they’d play lower than headline if festivals paid them the fee they usually take to headline. We know Glastonbury is never doing that, however.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They're playing Lytham Festival a few weeks later.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They’re headlining it!

The Strokes will get to the point where they are headlining your local village fete before they accept lower slots at mainstream festivals. They will not loosen their grip on being a headliner or nothing!

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I would say headlining medium festivals precisely says that they’re more interested in being the headliner than the support, but I guess we don’t know either way.

I think they’re money-motivated, and that they’d play lower than headline if festivals paid them the fee they usually take to headline. We know Glastonbury is never doing that, however.

Agree about them being money motivated, but headlining Lytham suggests to me they've dropped their price a little.

I think there seems to have been a bit of a change with the Strokes in the last couple years. When they played BST in 2015 seemed like just a cash grab and with their last album before TNA they didn't really promote it at all. DOn't think they liked each other. Now they have another (great) album and seem to be enjoying themselves again.

That Lytham festival is N England exclusive and obv they now have TRNSMT. Probs leaves one (or more) of Lattitude, Glasto or a big london gig of their own.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The Strokes will get to the point where they are headlining your local village fete before they accept lower slots at mainstream festivals. They will not loosen their grip on being a headliner or nothing!

Tbf why should the accept lower? They're huge! Sold APE out no bother even when they were dishing out free tickets for other big ish acts.

Glastonbury occasionally drops a real WTF bomb and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they negotiated The Strokes to headline the Other Stage. We can argue all day (and probably will) about egos and stage placement but I could definitely see them up against Elton (or whoever) on the Sunday. If they can headline a festival in Lytham, they ain't too big for the 50,000 capacity (or whatever it is) second stage at the biggest festival on the planet. 

And if the horrible Homme accusations gather momentum, I see them as a natural replacement for QOTSA, too. 

Strokes are doing Prima in Spain in July 3rd then NOS in Portugal July 6th. Then Lytham on the 8th and TRNSMT afterwards.

Suggests to me that they're doing the Euro festival circuit, but would they come to the UK to do Glasto then head to Spain/Portugal and then back to the UK?

Colour me sceptical. More likely is somewhere like Werchter IMO.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Strokes are doing Prima in Spain in July 3rd then NOS in Portugal July 6th. Then Lytham on the 8th and TRNSMT afterwards.

Suggests to me that they're doing the Euro festival circuit, but would they come to the UK to do Glasto then head to Spain/Portugal and then back to the UK?

Colour me sceptical. More likely is somewhere like Werchter IMO.

I can't see it, for the strokes to be playing they need to be headlining and for there to be a decent payday. When was the last time they even played in the UK, over 5 years ago? 

Just now, Meerkat said:

Just saw on the rumours page that QOTSA and PSB are down for Friday on the Other Stage. Does that mean we’re looking at one of QOTSA/PSB for Friday and then Sat/Sun free?

QOTSA probably off the table now.

4 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

I can't see it, for the strokes to be playing they need to be headlining and for there to be a decent payday. When was the last time they even played in the UK, over 5 years ago? 

Lytham festival suggests a serious step down but I would probably agree. Would have a massive crowd on Other

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Neil had it on good intel that QOTSA were Friday, so PSB we have assumed are actually still Sunday, as they were in 2020.

However...

Relton vs Pet Shop Boys would be a serious vote splitter. Every stage operates independently for the most part, and legacy act vs legacy act can happen, but surely you won't run the two most successful gay acts this country has ever produced against one another? The overlap is enormous. PSBs would get hammered.

If RR gets Sunday night, I could see PSBs shuffle.

I tend to agree it would be a shame for the punters, but ultimately anyone they put up against Elton is going to suffer for it. Better from a crowd safety POV for Reg to clash with another large-ish act who shares the same demographic than someone completely different who nobody cares about. Putting Example and Chase and Status up against the Stones didn’t work at all.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Sorry I’m not getting my hopes up. We have an annual Strokes rumour every year and we fall for their tour dates every time. 

They only accept headline bookings. Even if it means they play smaller events.

They defo don't only do headlining. They played second down the second stage at T in the Park in 2011. Yes it was a decade ago but that was only like 2 tours ago by their standards.