2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

Might be a controversial take but I’m not that big a fan of guests most of the time. I feel they can overshadow the act I’m actually there to see.

There are exceptions - Killers/PSB was cool and Macca bringing the other surviving Beatle out was an incredible moment. But I’m more interested in the main act than who they’re wheeling out for a poorly rehearsed song.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can’t remember when they last played and I can’t remember who they brought out

Ella eyre and Sam smith … to start pretty sure there were others when the played west holts … my memory is rubbish though ….. here’s quite a few colabs from 2019 

https://www.nme.com/photos/10-best-special-guests-glastonbury-2019-2523010

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Might be a controversial take but I’m not that big a fan of guests most of the time. I feel they can overshadow the act I’m actually there to see.

There are exceptions - Killers/PSB was cool and Macca bringing the other surviving Beatle out was an incredible moment. But I’m more interested in the main act than who they’re wheeling out for a poorly rehearsed song.

I agree with you - I would be absolutely for an act guesting on a song they have actually collaborated on. If I’m seeing a hip hop artist and a collab comes out it can really add to the set… but guest for guest sake is a bit… hmm. Elton bringing out Jess Glynn to butcher tiny dancer just feels like it’s being done for the BBC and the BBC only.

However Diana bringing out Lionel for endless love. Sign me right up.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Ella eyre and Sam smith … to start pretty sure there were others when the played west holts … my memory is rubbish though ….. here’s quite a few colabs from 2019 

https://www.nme.com/photos/10-best-special-guests-glastonbury-2019-2523010

I mean at the time the guests that came on with disclosure were not at their career peak and probably at the festival that weekend anyway. I think it’s a bit different phoning in someone random who isn’t playing/attending already to get them to play.

11 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Well, Stormzy was stat padding. Bringing out the hitmaker(s) du jour is par for the course at the top level of rap, even when you do have the catalogue to fill a slot: see OutKast bringing out Future at Coachella, Giggs and Drake at Reading, Burna Boy and Pogba just yesterday etc etc.

Elton’s currently #1 with Dua, they’re celeb buddies, so that really feels a lock. Macca’s collab album (and the fact he’s done it once already) means the chance of a Grohl or Bridgers is probably evens.

There’s probably going to be a more chummy, ‘back and it feels so good’ atmosphere next year too. Then you factor in the baton pass effect of two giants in the winter of their career… it’s not a guarantee but all signs point that way.

Elton's sub. With Haim and DiRo before.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Elton's sub. With Haim and DiRo before.

No I think Dua will return as an other stage headliner as she previously was. It will be a pretty big other stage booking but up against Macca it would be fine.

RIP to anyone else on pretty much any stage that night though. I’d wager about 75% of Glasto’s crowd would be at both of them.

Edited by Matt42

56 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Also - Stormzy brought out Chris Martin and Dave / Fredo. Chris Martin to feature on a song he didn’t work on, and Dave / Fredo to perform a song that Stormzy had no involvement in. I can’t think of a time where there’s been an obvious Glastonbury guest - maybe Nick at Kylie? Then again I wouldn’t have expected that over some other options.

Gorillaz brought out loads of guests in 2010. I distinctly remember a girl behind me saying “who’s he?” when  Lou Reed came on. 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I find that often acts don’t bring out guests at glasto. Usually the stick to their own sets. I could see Elton bringing out years & years though!

Muse

The Killers

Scissor Sisters

Does Michael Eavis count for Coldplay and Stevie Wonder?

Snoop Dogg

Gorrilaz

plus I’m sure lots more (some of this has been said as apparently I didn’t post earlier)

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Macca’s collab album (and the fact he’s done it once already) means the chance of a Grohl or Bridgers is probably evens.

Unless he's playing Sunday night then Grohl's out. Relatively (in the eyes of the gen pop) unknown indie starlet Phoebe Bridgers turning up to do a reimagined album track off his latest would be a fairly strange moment that people would scratch their heads over afterwards. So I'd certainly take evens the other way.

I think Ringo might pop up, or perhaps Creepy McSeatface from Aerosmith, but wouldn't be overly surprised if nobody did. As Matthew says, it's not a given and acts of his stature probably don't exert themselves to have someone else pop up during their moment.

Edited by dentalplan

2 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Didn't realise this before but for those saying Elton doesn't do festivals, I am currently watching him play Rock In Rio festival from 6 years ago on YouTube..

Haven't noticed anyone really saying that, but it'd be a crazy point to try and make anyway. He's spoken glowingly about how much he loved doing Bestival a few years back.