2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Does Billie Eilish not fit the “young” profile?

Yes Stormzy was booked, but so were the Cure and the Killers - one heritage and a long term veteran of the festival circuit.

Meh I wouldn’t stay the killers are old, they are more of a circuit band. I think my friends point was Billie sticks out a fair bit sharing a top 4 with 3 artists who were making music in the 70s.

Its way more heritage than something Glastonbury has ever done. I can’t think of a more “heritage” focused top bill. I’m not ruling out them doing it - I just think to keep things balanced they’d surely tap into a lot of the younger talent to equalise the rest of the bill. 

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Meh I wouldn’t stay the killers are old, they are more of a circuit band. I think my friends point was Billie sticks out a fair bit sharing a top 4 with 3 artists who were making music in the 70s.

Its way more heritage than something Glastonbury has ever done. I can’t think of a more “heritage” focused top bill. I’m not ruling out them doing it - I just think to keep things balanced they’d surely tap into a lot of the younger talent to equalise the rest of the bill. 

Or maybe people will see some of the biggest names in popular music and not care how old they are.

I find your obsession with youth a bit odd sometimes.

Changed my mind. I think we’ve got something wrong or are being led astray.

Paul Mcartney, Elton John, Diana Ross, and Aerosmith in the same year is absolutely ridiculously strong on the “heritage” front. If they’ve managed to bag all four of them that’s insane.

I’m not getting my hopes up nor setting myself up for disappointment.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Or maybe people will see some of the biggest names in popular music and not care how old they are.

I find your obsession with youth a bit odd sometimes.

You’re reading too much into the youth point - as you will see in my point below Paul McCartney, Elton John, Diana Ross, Aerosmith in the same year is absolutely bonkers. We’ve never had anything close to that before. I think we’re setting ourselves up for disappointment.

My point is that if they’ve secured that they’ve done incredibly well getting all of these absolute legends to share the spotlight together. It feels almost too strong even for Glastonbury.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Changed my mind. I think we’ve got something wrong or are being led astray.

Paul Mcartney, Elton John, Diana Ross, and Aerosmith in the same year is absolutely ridiculously strong on the “heritage” front. If they’ve managed to bag all four of them that’s insane.

I’m not getting my hopes up nor setting myself up for disappointment.

Again I think you’re overthinking this. If those acts are keen to play (Diana seems to have rearranged her tour specifically for it and Aerosmith have “accidentally” confirmed) then why not?

The festival will book the biggest and best acts available. 

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Again I think you’re overthinking this. If those acts are keen to play (Diana seems to have rearranged her tour specifically for it and Aerosmith have “accidentally” confirmed) then why not?

This is the key. 

It will always be the case that the Eavii go for the best acts in the world. 

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just now, nikkic said:

This is the key. 

It will always be the case that the Eavii go for the best acts in the world. 

Maybe I’m just trying to temper expectations.

But yeah a bill of something like Billie, Macca, Elton, Diana, Aerosmith, Dua Lipa, Pet Shop Boys etc feels like a sky high 50th anniversary prediction come to life. Not complaining if it’s true, but it feels like the sort of bill we’d usually temper expectations for.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

It’s a great trio but something doesn’t quite sit right with me about it. Doesn’t click as a glasto trio. Feels like two marquee heritage headliners in one year. But I guess this next festival is going to be a bit different anyway due to who is around.

I feel that if Billie and Elton are two of the headliners I’d wager the third isn’t one of 2020s. Just because it would make sense in my mind that they’ve lined up who they had planned for 2021 but rolled over a year.

Who I want - Billie, Macca, Taylor

My prediction right now- Billie, Arctic Monkeys, Elton John.

Something about BE, AM, EJ feels very glastonbury

I like how in one breath you say that they won't break up the 2020 headliners, and in the next only predict 2 of them...

Yeah would be legendary if they can get all those bookings in one year, but if anything has that kind of pull it's Glasto. We were getting 3 of those in 2020 tbf already, it's just adding Elton on top of an already impressive collection of heritage acts

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m reluctant to go all in and say that’s our trio, especially with Elton’s form of touring locally around Glastonbury quite often, but yeah… I’m inclined to think we might have it nailed down.

Two geezers sat behind pianos might seem a bit of a shit pairing for some, especially along with a mopey gal, but that’s a shit hot trio of headliners regardless of what you think of each individual act.

It's not painos all the time though, not for Macca anyway. 

I think this edition is all about just getting the go ahead.

The following year could be 3 all out younger acts. If you get Kendrick, Taylor and Arctic Monkeys in 2023 for example then that's fairly made I think. That is btw my prediction for 2023 albeit early as its stands. Arctics will move if Macca isn't there but the Elton date slots Macca firmly in there.

I've not been putting too much thought into this (I know, I know - why am I here? Get off of efests, heathen!) because I figure .. no use getting excited like i was for Kendrick/Macca/Taylor as it is so far out and could all just get blown up again. 

But it just crossed my mind, the thought of how hyped, how buzzing I would be for DAYS after seeing Macca live, all those immortal tunes ringing through my head, the combined joy of tens of thousands of people sweeping me off my feet...

And to think of having that. And then maybe sleeping for a few hours. Floating through the next day and then POW - now you're seeing Elton fucking Hercules John?

I'm not sure how my tiny mind is going to handle so much dopamine being released in such a short space of time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I've not been putting too much thought into this (I know, I know - why am I here? Get off of efests, heathen!) because I figure .. no use getting excited like i was for Kendrick/Macca/Taylor as it is so far out and could all just get blown up again. 

But it just crossed my mind, the thought of how hyped, how buzzing I would be for DAYS after seeing Macca live, all those immortal tunes ringing through my head, the combined joy of tens of thousands of people sweeping me off my feet...

And to think of having that. And then maybe sleeping for a few hours. Floating through the next day and then POW - now you're seeing Elton fucking Hercules John?

I'm not sure how my tiny mind is going to handle so much dopamine being released in such a short space of time.

It would be balanced out with a massive come down the week after.

But oh so worth it!! 

• Upvote 2

I also feel like Reg has done particularly well in terms of staying relevant. His Apple Music show, Rocket Man, collaborating with your Dua's/Lil Nas X etc.

He's obviously heritage in terms of legacy and tunes, but he's 1000 miles ahead of some dinosaur act like I dunno, The Eagles. If someone like them were to be booked it would look bizarre, but I think Reg would be seen as exciting. 

We'd absolutely love to see it ❤️ 

5 minutes ago, Zacko said:

I also feel like Reg has done particularly well in terms of staying relevant. His Apple Music show, Rocket Man, collaborating with your Dua's/Lil Nas X etc.

He's obviously heritage in terms of legacy and tunes, but he's 1000 miles ahead of some dinosaur act like I dunno, The Eagles. If someone like them were to be booked it would look bizarre, but I think Reg would be seen as exciting. 

We'd absolutely love to see it ❤️ 

Good point, I’m reading over some points I made last night and I’m already disagreeing with myself. 

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

May be controversial....but Elton. Seems to be rising a bit of a wave at the moment.

Rocketman, Final Tour, Collaborations with younger artists. He seems to be genuinely interested in the next generation of stars which makes a change from his contemporaries.

Edited by Matt42