2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Worth remembering that @eFestivals had Elton down as a SR before any news of this date dropped, which only adds further fuel. Didn't he say that Elton was replacing Macca?

Don't think Neil said the latter, and I think Reg was made SR on the basis of his tour dates only, rather than specific info. I guess the BST news reiterates this, possibly making him slightly shorter odds than he was before. So if Reg does do Glasto, it's looking like the Sunday, so Macca certainly isn't ruled out yet.

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If Elton is the Sunday night headliner (and I think most of us can agree he is), I'm not sure we'll see an announcement from Worthy Farm until BST shift a significant amount of tickets. 

I can already hear the typewriters at Somerset Live...

Got to think it’s not going to be an instant sell out.

He’s got so many dates over here on the horizon, surely most people who want to see him will already have a ticket?

36 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Would imagine a stadium setup isn't wildly different to a festival one.

All they need to do is lug a piano onto the stage.

Depends on the kind of production he has in store for the Stadium gigs compared to the arenas. If You just wanna talk about logistics then Glastonbury will have everything ready to go and they would essentially just have to bring his piano and set up the band. I mean U2 only brought themselves and the essential gear with them to Glasto while in the middle of their tour. Not much space for The Claw on the Pyramid.

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If Elton is the Sunday night headliner (and I think most of us can agree he is), I'm not sure we'll see an announcement from Worthy Farm until BST shift a significant amount of tickets. 

I can already hear the typewriters at Somerset Live...

Just now, nikkic said:

He’s got so many dates over here on the horizon, surely most people who want to see him will already have a ticket?

Yeah it won’t be but because Elton would be doing Glasto as part of a farewell tour he will get his own announcement at some point (if he’s playing). I think he should sell about 80% of the tickets pretty quick. It’s probably the luxurious packages that will stay on the market for a bit.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

We're going to war over the Saturday night though.

(I've heard it's alright for fighting)

Well if we take that Billie and Elton are Friday and Sunday then Saturday really feels like a question mark. They could be waiting for Macca or they could just have someone else in mind and the 2020 headliners have been offered slots for 2023. Who knows.?

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

You have to consider that since BST is standing you will bring in a bit different crowd. You also dont know who the support acts are for the date because there is no way it’s just him, so that will be a nice bonus. And he def will be picking who it is which will heighten the chance theyre at Glasto also. I myself would easily rather go to BST instead of the O2 because paying £100 and getting to see half a dozen acts plus I can get pretty close if I wanted to. Much better instead of sitting at the top of the arena for the same price and only getting Elton and nothing else.

6 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Yeah he's got a massive arena tour this year with 10+ sold out London dates, then a stadium tour next year already announced. The "last show in London" angle will attract a few but you do wonder how many people who would be going have already bought tickets for elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

You have to consider that since BST is standing you will bring in a bit different crowd. You also dont know who the support acts are for the date because there is no way it’s just him, so that will be a nice bonus. And he def will be picking who it is which will heighten the chance theyre at Glasto also. I myself would easily rather go to BST instead of the O2 because paying £100 and getting to see half a dozen acts plus I can get pretty close if I wanted to. Much better instead of sitting at the top of the arena for the same price and only getting Elton and nothing else.

FWIW I only paid £45 for my O2 ticket, which I thought was pretty reasonable.

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

Has there ever been a BST day on Glastonbury weekend before? It’s usually over the following two weekends isn’t it? I suppose if that’s the only weekend Elton’s available then it’s easy enough to just set everything up slightly earlier but it does seem quite odd.

Pretty much every year there’s a weekend on Glasto. It does feel like to me Elton doing BST is additional to the tour he’s currently playing. Which makes me think they know he’s doing something on Glasto weekend and they’ve booked him on a date he can make.

Edited by Matt42

Has there ever been a BST day on Glastonbury weekend before? It’s usually over the following two weekends isn’t it? I suppose if that’s the only weekend Elton’s available then it’s easy enough to just set everything up slightly earlier but it does seem quite odd.

Nah, there have been a few in the past. Pretty sure Springsteen played HP the same weekend as Glasto.

Glasto and BST often share a headliner or two...

• Thanks 1

Not sure about BST, but back when Hard Rock Calling used Hyde Park, they used to rub the same weekend as Glastonbury and sometimes shared headliners.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Nah, there have been a few in the past. Pretty sure Springsteen played HP the same weekend as Glasto.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Not sure about BST, but back when Hard Rock Calling used Hyde Park, they used to rub the same weekend as Glastonbury and sometimes shared headliners.

Cheers, yeah sharing headliners with Hard Rock Calling does ring a bell now you both mention it. I knew they’d shared headliners with BST before but the ones I could think of (Arcade Fire, Rolling Stones, Kendrick, Taylor Swift) were all the following weekends. The Who did BST on the Friday of Glastonbury weekend in 2015, though we know that crossover wasn’t exactly planned!

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

FWIW I only paid £45 for my O2 ticket, which I thought was pretty reasonable.

I paid about £80 for my seats at Staples Center which is slightly smaller than The O2 but still a much larger arena than most. Was still in the top level but just had a better view. Remember we get killed on the fees so I kind of automatically factor that in.

9 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I paid about £80 for my seats at Staples Center which is slightly smaller than The O2 but still a much larger arena than most. Was still in the top level but just had a better view. Remember we get killed on the fees so I kind of automatically factor that in.

Think that included fees, struggling to remember now as I booked it THREE FUCKING YEARS AGO! but pretty sure I got a pair for about £90 all in.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah i'm on a couple of springsteen boards andin 2009 i know of some die hard fans who had tickets for glasto and got off on the saturday night to get to london for HRC

3 minutes ago, eddie_corrigan said:

Yeah i'm on a couple of springsteen boards andin 2009 i know of some die hard fans who had tickets for glasto and got off on the saturday night to get to london for HRC

That reminds me of the person on this board somewhere who was going to leave Glastonbury for Kasabian!!!

My dad had bought us tickets to The Who in Hyde Park in 2015 for Christmas, as we'd never seen them before. I had missed out on Glasto tickets, then managed to get some in the elusive secret resale.

Didn't have the heart to let my dad down, so went to Glasto on the Wednesday, went home on Friday morning, had a shower (the luxury!!) and went with my dad to Hyde Park to see The Who. Had another luxurious night sleeping in my own bed, then got the first train back to Glasto on Saturday morning. Ended up getting to the festival just in time to get to the barrier for Slaves on the JP... Then The Who headlined on Sunday!

I have a bad feeling that my mum is going to really want me to go with her to this Elton gig.