2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, jump said:

Yeah Glasto would never make up a special title and give to someone who isn't headlining.

On a completely different topic who is gonna get "The Legends Slot" next? 😜

I'm pretty sure that the fans made up that title, and it took the festival itself about 25 years to actually adopt it.

They always made a point of calling it the "Sunday Tea-Time Slot" until very recently.

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Rock Werchter/Mad Cool do it/ have done it properly. I think in mainland Europe it works as it should. 

It works in Werchter because the licence goes till about 2am, so you could have Oasis followed by The Prodigy (I haven’t been there in a while) and both be legit headliners.

Ultimately, over here, while it can be managed by alternating at places like R&L, someone will be playing in daylight. 

Just now, balthazarstarbuck said:

It works in Werchter because the licence goes till about 2am, so you could have Oasis followed by The Prodigy (I haven’t been there in a while) and both be legit headliners.

Ultimately, over here, while it can be managed by alternating at places like R&L, someone will be playing in daylight. 

That's a really important point - and especially so when talking about Glastonbury where due to being in the South West and close to the solstice, the sunset is going to be later than for most other festivals in the country.

Also doesn't help that a while back the changeover times were extended, and the curfew moved earlier, so the sub-headliners on the Pyramid now finish on average about an hour earlier than they would have 15+ years ago.

45 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Meaningless bullshit but becoming incredibly common in the market. We may have our thoughts but it happens now pretty much everywhere… but Glastonbury.

Doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. 

It’s an ego stroke for big acts who refuse to play 2nd down. 

Or used by festivals like Reading when they can’t get genuine headliners. 

Glastonbury doesn’t need to do it. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Co-headliner is meaningless bullshit.

Spot on, ultimately whoever is on last is headlining.

It only works at festivals split across two sites (ie Reading and Leeds) where one act can headline one day and the other can headline the other.

Edited by Hugh Jass

2 hours ago, jump said:

Yeah Glasto would never make up a special title and give to someone who isn't headlining.

On a completely different topic who is gonna get "The Legends Slot" next? 😜

The festival have started using that term, have they?

Besides, the slot has a definite vibe and flavour that makes only a small number of artists suutable for it. So false equivalence.

I like to consider myself someone who at least tries to keep up with what’s happening out there and move with the times, but just stumbled on Post Malone at Reading and suddenly felt incredibly out of touch. Hard to gauge if he’s actually fucking dreadful or I just don’t get it.

I feel a certain Simpson’s meme is incoming 

36 minutes ago, jparx said:

I like to consider myself someone who at least tries to keep up with what’s happening out there and move with the times, but just stumbled on Post Malone at Reading and suddenly felt incredibly out of touch. Hard to gauge if he’s actually fucking dreadful or I just don’t get it.

The whole R&L lineup this year makes me feel old. Who on earth is the kid laori and why did he get one of the most prominent slots / crowds of the weekend.

53 minutes ago, jparx said:

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The whole R&L lineup this year makes me feel old. Who on earth is the kid laori and why did he get one of the most prominent slots / crowds of the weekend.

I'm 21 and even I feel too old for it! I went through the whole lineup and there were only 30 acts I'd be willing to see/had actually heard of, and that was before loads of them fell off due to travel restrictions. Hip hop/rap really isn't my scene and since they introduced more of it to R+L I feel less enticed to go even though I'm basically their target demographic 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

As someone who’s all about chart performance and streaming numbers I’d have thought you’d have heard of someone who’s had two of the biggest songs of the year!

15 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

As someone who’s all about chart performance and streaming numbers I’d have thought you’d have heard of someone who’s had two of the biggest songs of the year!

For the acts with crossover yes but I’m afraid this wave of tik tok music is lost on me

On 8/28/2021 at 11:39 PM, Matt42 said:

I watched his set out of curiosity last night and I felt about 84 years old watching it.

Having said that, I always feel a weird sense of pride mixed with nostalgia whenever I watch Reading sets. It's great to see the youngens going for it regardless. Especially after the last eighteen months.

Seems Elton is touting a big announcement tomorrow which smart money suggests is a lockdown collab album.  Thing is there's a bunch of names being suggested who wouldn't look out of place on a G2022 poster....

Dua Lipa, Years&Years, Nicki Minaj, Lil Nas X, Brandi Carlile, Gorillaz, Stevie Wonder, Stevie Nicks.....

🤔

On 8/28/2021 at 11:39 PM, Matt42 said:

I listen to Pirate FM while idling to the shop in my car and Kid Laroi has been played about 7 billion times on it. So much so my toddler knows all the words! If that’s reflected on other radio stations then he must be pretty popular. But I watched a few songs from the set out of curiosity and it was eye wateringly bad.