2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

Most of the big names is a bit ambigious, considering Michael likes to peddle the 'subs who are headliners' line a lot. Headliners from pyramid, and other, pyramid subs, the legend slot, he'll even Aerosmith, could all be legitimate big names. 

Queens of the Stone Age

Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds

Manic Street Preachers

Anderson Paak and the Free Nationals

The Jesus and Mary Chain

Some massive names there.

1 hour ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

Most of the big names is a bit ambigious, considering Michael likes to peddle the 'subs who are headliners' line a lot. Headliners from pyramid, and other, pyramid subs, the legend slot, he'll even Aerosmith, could all be legitimate big names. 

Reckon you could even swing Haim, Wolf Alice, Kano etc. as big names too - definitely not limited to headliners

9 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Not sure Dua will be back on the Other but let's see.

She knows what it means to even get that slot. She was in the John Peel early afternoon 4 years ago, and now Other headliner? Its just an easy way to cement a Pyramid headline slot in a couple more years. Its not time to be a diva about it anyway.

I know a certain someone reacts like the sky's falling in when this is suggested, but would Billie sub for Kendrick, if Michael is being truthful/accurate? I'm not asking if that's what she should do, but would she do it?

What if Emily/Nick told her they'd love her to headline but they can't offer her 2022 because they're honouring the previous headliner bookings. She could headline in 2023 or 2024, but she'll have to wait until then, OR she could sub in 2021, under Kendrick Lamar.

Given her latest album won't be fresh if she waits, and high profile gigs will be attractive sooner rather than later, would she settle with a sub? I think she would.

Fri:  Kendrick / Billie

Sat:  Relton / Dua

Sun:  Taylor / Noel Gallagher

Just now, kalifire said:

I know a certain someone reacts like the sky's falling in when this is suggested, but would Billie sub for Kendrick, if Michael is being truthful/accurate? I'm not asking if that's what she should do, but would she do it?

What if Emily/Nick told her they'd love her to headline but they can't offer her 2022 because they're honouring the previous headliner bookings. She could headline in 2023 or 2024, but she'll have to wait until then, OR she could sub in 2021, under Kendrick Lamar.

Given her latest album won't be fresh if she waits, and high profile gigs will be attractive sooner rather than later, would she settle with a sub? I think she would.

Where's that popcorn gif when I need it?

21 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I am in for this. 100%

Only reason I can possibly see Dua taking the lower slot next year is if they’ve already got Taylor back for ‘23 (I’m assuming she’s not back next year what with Billie being in the picture - sorry) and so she’s gotta wait out her headline slot regardless.

After years of us not having too many likely female headliners ready to step up, we’ve suddenly found ourselves with an influx. Good shit. 

12 hours ago, Simsy said:

Still waiting for the year that Michael is like "Best ever? Nah, it was ok but it's been better".

It’s always really telling when he doesn’t claim a year is the best ever. 2005, 2007, 2016 IIRC. Not sure he did in 2011 though I may be wrong with that.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

The info specifically said she was headlining the Friday.

Kendrick instead subbing by only playing a 1 hour slot (which he loves to do)…. Is probably more of a talking point.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Only reason I can possibly see Dua taking the lower slot next year is if they’ve already got Taylor back for ‘23 (I’m assuming she’s not back next year what with Billie being in the picture - sorry) and so she’s gotta wait out her headline slot regardless.

After years of us not having too many likely female headliners ready to step up, we’ve suddenly found ourselves with an influx. Good shit. 

Or that Dua just wants to play the festival. 

Whilst Dua is an extremely mainstream artist it doesn’t seem to reflect in her ticket sales. Maybe her team are waiting for her third album before demanding top spots where she goes? (I know she’s headlining Prim but they have like 3/4 headliners a day there).

Glastonbury seems to be the only festival in the world which has never gone down the co-headliner route.

The closest we’ve got to it is some major acts being listed as headliners on the poster (probably to keep them sweet) Janet Jackson, Kylie etc.

But with the legend slot becoming essentially a 4th headline slot - could this be rethought in the future? What’s to say they couldn’t bill Billie and Kendrick as headliners and say that there will be two headliners on the Friday.

These artists are booked for festivals where they are billed as co-headliners anyway - so I wonder if it’s not an issue. For example Kendrick has been booked as a coheadliner before many times.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Co-headliner is meaningless bullshit.

Exactly.

For all the times R+L have claimed it (and honestly, I can't remember many others doing it), more often than not it's simply an attempt to try to claim that the lineup is stronger than it really is - it usually means they couldn't find an act strong enough to sell enough tickets on their own.

Always get the impression co-headliners only really happen when festivals' options dry up so they essentially promote two subs to "headline" level. Can't think of too many examples where there have been two actual headline sized acts co-headlining. 

1 minute ago, 1986 said:

Always get the impression co-headliners only really happen when festivals' options dry up so they essentially promote two subs to "headline" level. Can't think of too many examples where there have been two actual headline sized acts co-headlining. 

Rock Werchter/Mad Cool do it/ have done it properly. I think in mainland Europe it works as it should. 

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Exactly.

For all the times R+L have claimed it (and honestly, I can't remember many others doing it), more often than not it's simply an attempt to try to claim that the lineup is stronger than it really is - it usually means they couldn't find an act strong enough to sell enough tickets on their own.

I take it to mean the sub is very sensitive and they refused to play unless they are headlining on the poster with a logo of equal font size like Janet Jackson who seems to have their own Glasto poster where she's on top lol. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Rock Werchter/Mad Cool do it/ have done it properly. I think in mainland Europe it works as it should. 

Fair, like @incident I was thinking about the Likes of Reading/Leeds and IOW.

If the alternative to co-headliners is the same 7 bands on rotation like Download have I know what I'd prefer. Not that Glastonbury have this issue anyway so it's likely a mute point. 

I personally don't see Billie and Kendrick sharing a day. If a big sell of their pay cut is to be a headliner at Britain's biggest festival, with all the coverage and kudos that comes with it, won't exactly look great to add "btw you're on second last at about 8.30."

15 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Glastonbury doesnt need to abide by 'market' dictates.

Yeah Glasto would never make up a special title and give to someone who isn't headlining.

On a completely different topic who is gonna get "The Legends Slot" next? 😜

• Like 1