2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

I find it confusing that anyone wouldn’t consider Billie and AM as a significant step down from Kendrick and Taylor. 

People just want 90 mins of drinking music with AM as opposed to thought provoking rap with Kendrick. Stormzy went over really well cause he is a homegrown talent. Cause other than that with Kanye and Jay Z who have deep catalogs, how excited was the general audience going to be for Kendrick anyway. 

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I hope the next six months aren’t going to be like certain facets of social media where Uber Taylor Swift fans trash any act that could possibly replace her.

You dont even know what us Coachella people have had to deal with Frank Ocean not appearing now til the 2023 fest.  And that it’s “Franks spot” and all in regards to a replacement. Super annoying.

18 hours ago, kalifire said:

I find it confusing that anyone wouldn’t consider Billie and AM as a significant step down from Kendrick and Taylor. 

Totally neutral me, swapping one of my favourite artists for another one of my favourite artists, and someone you probably couldn’t pay me to see for someone who I saw and was terrible (Billie ‘19).

in terms of profile Taylor to Billie is certainly a step down, even if Billie is massive, she’s not taylor swift massive.

22 hours ago, kalifire said:

I would say level footing. AM > Kendrick & Taylor > Billie for me. I wouldn't be disappointed with AM and Billie. 

4 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Jay's biggest hits over here came after his headline set though, in fairness. He was pulling out deep cuts from The Blueprint, Vol 2 and American Gangster: albums which have huge critical stature but didn't make a big dent in the UK at the time.

Kendrick would have rocked it and the reaction to Money Trees/Complexion/LOVE./mAAd city or any other non-single would have been major.

I agree with your point, a band like Arctics can sway the casuals while rappers rely on the core — but I think Jay '08 would have been roughly on par with Kendrick '20 for hits. Ken's not entered his Empire State of Mind era yet. Maybe by 2023, who knows.

But you have to look at how Kendrick was being looked at when he was announced vs Jay Z. One caused quite a stir  because of the obvious and the other just the general shrug off from casuals and then you would be relying on a new release to fuel excitement. I think Kendrick would/will/wouldve done fine on his night by all accounts performance wise, but I know material wise it was going ti be a challenge due to the fact that he was going to debut new material. thats the easiest way to turn an audiences attention off if it didnt go over well. You dont really see Glasto headline acts revolve their releases around the fest cause this isnt where you test stuff out. At Coachella for example its more or less a given that a headliner and most of anyone thats highly billed has something coming out within a month of the fest cause thats where you gain the momentum for the rest of the year. By the time you get to Glasto you’re riding a strong wave and just have to do well to be able to elevate yourself for a future booking or justify the headline slot you received.

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

Going to throw this one out there… Could it see her actually play the hits? Could the Eavii afford her?

Word on the street was that she was demanding £5 million, so no the Eavii couldn’t afford her.

Given that she was paid £1.5m for ten terrible minutes at Eurovision I don’t doubt that figure is true either.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Word on the street was that she was demanding £5 million, so no the Eavii couldn’t afford her.

Given that she was paid £1.5m for ten terrible minutes at Eurovision I don’t doubt that figure is true either.

See also the plainly ludicrous prices for that run at the Palladium. She’s never going to play Glastonbury and life is much easier once you make peace with that fact. 

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It would either be incredible or an absolute car crash.

And yet I still can't help but, every time I hear "Vogue", imagining the Pyramid as the lights go down and that intro comes in...

Probably safest the scenes remain a pleasant imagining. Can't have a disappointing set if the set never happens.

2 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

And yet I still can't help but, every time I hear "Vogue", imagining the Pyramid as the lights go down and that intro comes in...

Probably safest the scenes remain a pleasant imagining. Can't have a disappointing set if the set never happens.

Five million quid and she just plays a load of shite from her new album and that god awful American Pie cover.

Madonna is on the Janet Jackson level of no more voice but capable of having a great production and backing band which will make you forget about the former. And  Madonna would easily not play her hits cause she is ''an artist'' and nobody can tell what to do.

I thought everyone figured that out when she played Coachella 15 years ago and the ''oldest'' song was Ray of Light in a barely 30 min set which she was 45 mins late for. She gave people their $75 worth since that was the cost of a single day ticket. She wasnt going to give anyone the full $300 show. Fortunately, Massive Attack and Tool washed away all that disappointment after her set. I am in the no Madonna camp very firmly. NEVER AGAIN.

If we're throwing veteran acts that have never played then let's look at Depeche Mode. There arent going to be many chances for them and I think theyll make the effort to do a hits laden show instead of their normal touring setlist if Glasto was in the picture. They dont mind playing festivals either and their rate isnt astronomical.

Edited by Suprefan

27 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

If we're throwing veteran acts that have never played then let's look at Depeche Mode. There arent going to be many chances for them and I think theyll make the effort to do a hits laden show instead of their normal touring setlist if Glasto was in the picture. They dont mind playing festivals either and their rate isnt astronomical.

Word we've had here is that their rate is enough that they knock Glastonbury back every few years. The interest is there from the festival but not from the band at the moment.

We're due a Depeche Mode tour next year (it'll even be one year late by their standards) but we would have to hope that they're happy to play for the prestige.

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Word we've had here is that their rate is enough that they knock Glastonbury back every few years. The interest is there from the festival but not from the band at the moment.

We're due a Depeche Mode tour next year (it'll even be one year late by their standards) but we would have to hope that they're happy to play for the prestige.

I wonder if the mixed reaction to their IOW set a few years ago might put them off. As you say, the festival seem keen on having them but the band don’t seem to be as interested and while Glastonbury is obviously a much bigger deal, I wouldn’t be surprised if they viewed it as something they don’t really need to bother with when they can play big gigs elsewhere. Hopefully they saw how well The Cure’s set was received in 2019 though and think they can do something similar.

With the presumably large backlog of headliners, most of whom are probably easier to book too, I don’t think we’ll get them on this tour anyway but I definitely see them as a contender over the next decade or so. The number of heritage acts is always decreasing and they’re one of the few big ones left that we know the festival are keen, so I think they’ll make more of an effort to get them while they can.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure Madonna is capable of an absolutely stunning set, but the chances of her delivering it aren't great. It would make me nervous to see her on the line-up. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but the Pyramid, but I'd also be conscious that I might be wasting my time.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind watching her turn up late, only for Michael to inform her - on stage - that she's run out of time because Mrs. Griffiths doesn't appreciate too much noise after half past eleven. That would be worth the ticket price alone.

Edited by kalifire

9 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

I wonder if the mixed reaction to their IOW set a few years ago might put them off.

Yeah my friend was there and said they played a load of obscure songs and then seemed really frustrated that no one was joining in and then played several hits which went down really well, I suppose regular gigs are a better place place okay mote of the back catalogue and festivals should be based more around the hits 

10 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Madonna is on the Janet Jackson level of no more voice but capable of having a great production and backing band which will make you forget about the former. And  Madonna would easily not play her hits cause she is ''an artist'' and nobody can tell what to do.

I thought everyone figured that out when she played Coachella 15 years ago and the ''oldest'' song was Ray of Light in a barely 30 min set which she was 45 mins late for. She gave people their $75 worth since that was the cost of a single day ticket. She wasnt going to give anyone the full $300 show. Fortunately, Massive Attack and Tool washed away all that disappointment after her set. I am in the no Madonna camp very firmly. NEVER AGAIN.

Depeche Mode do it for the money, a couple of them really don’t like each other.  Oh and they have been asked and the answer I was told was…. They don’t pay enough