2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

Just now, MaxPower said:

Yeah but what’s the actual reasoning?

i saw them headline Electric Picnic that same Summer and they were brilliant, one of the better big stage festival sets I’ve seen and as I said the BBC coverage of it is absolutely banging. 

The coverage was much nicer. But it was certainly more set up for the TV cameras than the shitmunchers who went along to see them.

The screens in the field had this dodgy effect on them that made them useless, and they went heavy on the smoke machine so you couldn’t see much other than the AM sign backlit thru the fog.

They didn’t seem to get the crowd going much at all. Big dead silences, shite patter, workmanlike performances. Just came across tepid and unenthused. They seemed to lose the crowd in a fairly big way towards the end of the main set.

Some people here did enjoy it so it’s more ‘divisive’ than ‘panned’.

The Stones the very next night didn’t put on a show for the BBC cameras and it actually came across quite poorly on playback. Yet that set is almost universally revered as one of the great Glastonbury moments.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

This forum defo doesn't represent the majority of Glasto go-ers... quite the opposite 

The idea that the Arctic Monkeys spaffed it is one of those things on this forum that a few people (most who were actually elsewhere) repeat over and over until it starts to become accepted wisdom.

I was there and thought it was good.

• Upvote 2

I waited there all day in my leather jacket, hair slicked back, white rose tattoo on my inner forearm and honestly I thought it was fantastic. Did not disappoint.

My friends and I set off straight home afterwards (took ages to get back to the car park because of the sodding inconsiderate crowd moving so slowly) and watched the BBC coverage straight after and honestly it was mindblowing. Alex just looked amazing.

22 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

This forum defo doesn't represent the majority of Glasto go-ers... quite the opposite 

Look anywhere on the internet and you will see polarised opinion … I’d imagine the forum and Glastonbury goers are no different … but what it does have is bloody helpful mostly friendly people 

All jokes aside, Arctic Monkeys are the only act in the 'safe' massive contemporary rock band headliner pile who are still pretty vital and can break the internet (in the UK) with a new song

Taking past disappointments out of the equation (as they clearly are doing with Billie Eilish supposedly down to headline) then I think they'd be a good booking if the festival was in a position where they needed to turn to someone safe. It beats having fucking Muse back.

41 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

All jokes aside, Arctic Monkeys are the only act in the 'safe' massive contemporary rock band headliner pile who are still pretty vital and can break the internet (in the UK) with a new song

Taking past disappointments out of the equation (as they clearly are doing with Billie Eilish supposedly down to headline) then I think they'd be a good booking if the festival was in a position where they needed to turn to someone safe. It beats having fucking Muse back.

Indeed, other than Coldplay they’re probably the biggest UK indie/rock band this century.

A trio of Billie, AM and Reg/Macca would hit the “up and comer, biggest around and heritage” trio the festival likes to get.

18 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I find it confusing that anyone wouldn’t consider Billie and AM as a significant step down from Kendrick and Taylor. 

It’s a step down for me and probably a fair few on here, but Arctic Monkeys will go down incredibly well with the average festival goer, and Billie… well she’s the current big thing, although yeah, obviously she’s not on the same level as Taylor in any way. 

23 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I find it confusing that anyone wouldn’t consider Billie and AM as a significant step down from Kendrick and Taylor. 

That’s because it’s not, as well as the fact that people like different things.

Edited by Jack.194

24 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’d consider most acts a step down from Kendrick, he was and still is the #1 headliner pick I’m desperate to see. But if he’s not about next summer there is little anyone can do about it.

40 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It's a new year. Can't hold the festival to their bookings from 2020. They'll try and have as many acts back as possible, naturally, but it's not entirely in their hands.

9 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Why all the AM chat, has there been a whisper?

Nah. They were recording their next album at a monastery in Suffolk earlier this summer and it hit the news the other day, so naturally the conversation here turned to whether the Arctic Monks were gonna incorporate Glastonbury into the next tour, possibly next year.

We haven't got a lot to talk about right now.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Billie looks locked in at the moment, and then IMO the other two nights are all to play for. Pick two from Taylor, Macca, Reg, AM, Kendrick, Coldplay plus more… right now all are possibilities but there is little concrete evidence outside of rumours and speculation to strongly support any of them. (If anything Reg’a dates put him in the strongest position but he has a long established history of cockteasing the festival).

Will be interesting to see how the next few months play out. Can’t remember a time when the field has been so open with so many massive acts being possible.

It’s really open  , only one thing for it, get the main stages open on Thursday for one year only😁(I know it’s non starter).  It’s quite a list of exciting possibilities but I’ll probably end up at the PSBs on the other stage ! 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It’s really open  , only one thing for it, get the main stages open on Thursday for one year only😁(I know it’s non starter).  It’s quite a list of exciting possibilities but I’ll probably end up at the PSBs on the other stage ! 

It’s a nice feeling with all this rampant speculation going on that there are two decent headliners already in place for me (assuming Pet Shop Boys retain their Sunday night slot). Both QOTSA and PSB are solid options that I would enjoy and if nothing else floats my boat then they’re safe in the bank. Means I can enjoy the speculation and hope something bigger comes along, but not be too disappointed if it doesn’t.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

My nightmare Taylor Psb clash might be resolved … 

53 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s a nice feeling with all this rampant speculation going on that there are two decent headliners already in place for me (assuming Pet Shop Boys retain their Sunday night slot). Both QOTSA and PSB are solid options that I would enjoy and if nothing else floats my boat then they’re safe in the bank. Means I can enjoy the speculation and hope something bigger comes along, but not be too disappointed if it doesn’t.

If nothing else it Will keep us entertained through the long dark winter months. A stark contrast from last year.