2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Is there any conceivable chance that with Thom Yorke and Ed pencilled in, that Radiohead could come together for the , post-Covid, belated 50th anniversary and play?

Call the lads in together, spend a couple of weeks rehearsing and let rip?

Even if it is inconceivable,  could at least one person humour me with the possibility?

More chance of The Smile getting booked in and Ed popping round to their set for a song I reckon. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I hope the next six months aren’t going to be like certain facets of social media where Uber Taylor Swift fans trash any act that could possibly replace her.

I am an Uber swift fan and whilst it would hurt to see Taylor be replaced I’m going to be open minded to who steps in.

Just a thought I’ve had. Looking at the RW thread I’ve noticed they’ve got a headliner missing and users are really scratching their heads to figure out who it is. With Kendrick looking less likely there is a definite gap for a new headliner to step in. Apparently RHCP are a no-go. Seems to be the same across the board with NOS Alive/Mad Cool etc. I thought QOTSA would be a natural fit especially if they are around at the time, but some think QOTSA would sub RW and not headline it.

AM have played all of these festivals before and in my mind would be a natural fit to fill these gaps if they are around. Gonna watch these ones closely as I think there could be something to this.

Edited by Matt42

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I hope the next six months aren’t going to be like certain facets of social media where Uber Taylor Swift fans trash any act that could possibly replace her.

Give me something interesting, that’s all I want. Reg, Billie, Wolf Alice, GnR, hell even Chillie Willies would be a new headliner. AM being a dull headliner who have disappointed twice on the Pyramid has zilch to do with Ms Swift.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Give me something interesting, that’s all I want. Reg, Billie, Wolf Alice, GnR, hell even Chillie Willies would be a new headliner. AM being a dull headliner who have disappointed twice on the Pyramid has zilch to do with Ms Swift.

My unpopular opinion is that they would be a good Macca replacement as I’m holding out for Swift on the Sunday. The reason why I don’t think Elton is because he would be a total glasto newbie, and I think when it comes to securing replacements it’s easier to negotiate with someone who has already signed a glasto contract.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

My unpopular opinion is that they would be a good Macca replacement as I’m holding out for Swift on the Sunday. The reason why I don’t think Elton is because he would be a total glasto newbie, and I think when it comes to securing replacements it’s easier to negotiate with someone who has already signed a glasto contract.

I’m pretty sure, after 50 years in the industry, Elton John has people who know what a contract looks like.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Billie looks locked in at the moment, and then IMO the other two nights are all to play for. Pick two from Taylor, Macca, Reg, AM, Kendrick, Coldplay plus more… right now all are possibilities but there is little concrete evidence outside of rumours and speculation to strongly support any of them. (If anything Reg’a dates put him in the strongest position but he has a long established history of cockteasing the festival).

Will be interesting to see how the next few months play out. Can’t remember a time when the field has been so open with so many massive acts being possible.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m pretty sure, after 50 years in the industry, Elton John has people who know what a contract looks like.

That’s not what I said. Bringing in someone completely new who is a huge heritage artist as a replacement is different to booking someone who has played before / agreed to play before.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Will be interesting to see how the next few months play out. Can’t remember a time when the field has been so open with so many massive acts being possible.

Same as every year by Christmas it will narrow significantly / we will notice names who will remain in contention. I mean this though, if it gets to around Christmas / Jan time and we still haven’t heard anything on Swift I will start getting concerned. Shes the type to announce her tours way in advance, she’s not a last minute gal.

1989 tour was announced in October 2014.

Reputation tour announced in November 2017.

Lover tour announced in September 2019.

If she has plans to do something in the following Summer (so Summer 2022)… she tends to give enough notice. My eyes are on that November Red release. If she doesn’t announce dates around then I’ll start to get worried.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

That’s not what I said. Bringing in someone completely new who is a huge heritage artist as a replacement is different to booking someone who has played before / agreed to play before.

It is what you said though.

We all know massive gigs are booked at least a year in advance. Everyone on the industry talks to each other, the festival will have been long aware of Elton’s availability and likewise his people will be aware if the festival need a headliner or not. If there is genuine interest in both sides discussions would have been held long before now. 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Bringing in someone completely new who is a huge heritage artist as a replacement is different to booking someone who has played before / agreed to play before.

Which is true when you need a replacement and it's pushing on Christmas and time is running out, but this year's "replacements" have the same sort of time frames as any usual bookings.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Which is true when you need a replacement and it's pushing on Christmas and time is running out, but this year's "replacements" have the same sort of time frames as any usual bookings.

Exactly, the fact that Neil has had info about Elton suggests that discussions have started at the very least.

9 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Has he had info about him? I thought that was just a guess based on his tour dates.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Need to check, he mentioned Elton at the same time as the Billie/QOTSA info. I thought it all came together.

He just guessed on tour dates. No info.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

"What do you make of this contract offer from The Eavii Elton.."?

"Its a little bit funny.."

i'll get my coat 👀

It’s mad to me to see people here slagging off AM’s Glasto sets. The 2013 set is one I watch a lot, and is really really well regarded by other people my age (it feels, anyway, just search “Arctic Monkeys Glasto”on Twitter and you’ll see loads of younger millennials tweeting about it).

Why has it got a bad rep on here?

3 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

It’s mad to me to see people here slagging off AM’s Glasto sets. The 2013 set is one I watch a lot, and is really really well regarded by other people my age (it feels, anyway, just search “Arctic Monkeys Glasto”on Twitter and you’ll see loads of younger millennials tweeting about it).

Why has it got a bad rep on here?

Because we were there.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Because we were there.

Yeah but what’s the actual reasoning?

i saw them headline Electric Picnic that same Summer and they were brilliant, one of the better big stage festival sets I’ve seen and as I said the BBC coverage of it is absolutely banging.