2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, sisco said:

Hasnt their popularity nosedived? 

It’s hard to say because instead of getting to tour 2020/21 they just kind of disappeared instead, although it certainly does seem like their jumble of a last album didn’t do them any favours so be interesting to see if they can have recapture that popularity they had a few years ago with the next one, although headlining Glastonbury this year does seem like somewhat of a missed moment for them right now that they might not get back.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It’s hard to say because instead of getting to tour 2020/21 they just kind of disappeared instead, although it certainly does seem like their jumble of a last album didn’t do them any favours so be interesting to see if they can have recapture that popularity they had a few years ago with the next one, although headlining Glastonbury this year does seem like somewhat of a missed moment for them right now that they might not get back.

I agree, straight after the Reading headline they could've 100% done it but I think they need another album to get the momentum back  

Think they'll be fine to headline on the next album if there's a couple of hits – they're super ambitious (to their detriment sometimes, which is why their last campaign was a mess where they over-stretched themselves) so I presume they're taking a year or so out to regroup and come back. Their live show is really brilliant.

I think the 1975 ship has completely sailed. They’ve definitely passed their peak and the pandemic hasn’t done them any favours. I can’t see them gaining any more fans than they currently have.

Biffy Clyro style relationship with festivals from here on out I reckon.

Edited by Matt42

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think the 1975 ship has completely sailed. They’ve definitely passed their peak and the pandemic hasn’t done them any favours. I can’t see them gaining any more fans than they currently have.

Agreed. They’ve dropped back into Foals/Biffy territory where the best they can hope for is someone pulling out at the last minute.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Agree with this - timing is everything and the timing of Covid has done them no favours at all.  They would have to come back with an absolute smash to be back in the frame, but I get the feeling their moment has passed.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Agreed. They’ve dropped back into Foals/Biffy territory where the best they can hope for is someone pulling out at the last minute.

I think they will headline R&L again and some mid range festivals. Maybe the odd outdoor gig here and there, but they will stick as an upper-mid-market band option. Not the type of act Glastonbury tends to book.

3 minutes ago, circus92 said:

timing is everything and the timing of Covid has done them no favours at all. 

Glastonbury headliners tend to fall into 3 categories. Most have at least 1 of these 3.

- Heritage acts/Global Superstars: The Cure, Paul McCartney, Radiohead, Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, The Rolling Stones, U2, The Who, Adele etc.

- Acts with a very strong upward trajectory (that zeitgeist booking): Stormzy, (Billie Eilish), Ed Sheeran, (probably Arctic Monkeys/KOL at the time they headlined), Arcade Fire, Mumfords.

- Safe bet bookings/Strong festival bands: Muse, The Killers, Coldplay etc

In my opinion the 1975 have 0 of these now. This isn’t a tried and tested formula but I bet if you looked at the past 15 years of festivals every single headliner falls into at least one of these categories.

Yeah - you have probably summed the categories up about right, and they would have definitely fitted into the second one pre-covid, but I would agree they don't fit any of those now.

I saw them headline Reading in 2019 and didn't realise it at the time, but I reckon that was their peak (amazing show by the way).   Hard to see them regaining that momentum now, but hope to be proved wrong. 

I don't the ship has completely sailed. There'd been rumours that they'd been booked for 2021 that started circulating around Dec 2019. They've had it as a goal for a while and had brought it up on Annie Mac's show in Jan 2020. And said that they were "busy" in 2020 but that it was one of the only things that they still wanted to achieve as a band and mentioned next year whilst looking pretty sheepish. About a month later, Emily then says that they'd got all three headliners pencilled in for 2021. I'm pretty convinced they were booked for 2021, but with a huge backlog of headliners they might have to wait a while, or accept an Other headline at some point, which I don't think they will.

They haven't had a huge trajectory, but I'd see it as:

First Album: Middle of Pyramid slot before Dolly Parton.

Second Album: IIRC they turned down an Other headline slot, and played 3rd down instead.

Third Album: Headlined R/L and by most accounts it went down well, arguably their peak.

Fourth Album: Pencilled in to headline Glastonbury

Kasabian took 4 albums to headline Glastonbury and don't really fit into one of the categories, so I still think it's possible for them to comeback and headline at some point. I think their trajectory has just halted, and could either continue rising post-covid, or it could see them fall into the Foals / Biffy Clyro category. I don't think that's happened just yet though.

1 minute ago, Miyn said:

Kasabian took 4 albums to headline Glastonbury and don't really fit into one of the categories, so I still think it's possible for them to comeback and headline at some point. I think their trajectory has just halted, and could either continue rising post-covid, or it could see them fall into the Foals / Biffy Clyro category. I don't think that's happened just yet though.

However in those 4 years Kasabian were headlining every festival going and developed a strong track record for being a pretty safe bet at any event. No ones favourite but you knew they could do the job. They also have more crossover appeal than the 1975. They are category 3 in a way that I doubt the 1975 will be.

36 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Glastonbury headliners tend to fall into 3 categories. Most have at least 1 of these 3.

- Heritage acts/Global Superstars: The Cure, Paul McCartney, Radiohead, Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, The Rolling Stones, U2, The Who, Adele etc.

- Acts with a very strong upward trajectory (that zeitgeist booking): Stormzy, (Billie Eilish), Ed Sheeran, (probably Arctic Monkeys/KOL at the time they headlined), Arcade Fire, Mumfords.

- Safe bet bookings/Strong festival bands: Muse, The Killers, Coldplay etc

In my opinion the 1975 have 0 of these now. This isn’t a tried and tested formula but I bet if you looked at the past 15 years of festivals every single headliner falls into at least one of these categories.

I did categories of headliners a couple of months ago and people got very upset.

Well whatever the formula is, there is going to be a point where youre going to run out of options. Cause its going to be all very safe bookings for a couple years coming up before there is something like an Oasis reunion that explodes or something of the sort. It still keeps a lot of acts out of possible contention.

Mad thing with Elton is he loves rocking up at league two grounds but the pyramid stage? no thanks.

Just tell him its Pilton FC.

I was excited for Billie when she done the other but it was pretty boring and no one is giving her a headline slot based on that. Despite being a massive star I don't think that translates into Glasto crowd success yet , I think the fact tickets for 2022 went on sale 2019 and she appeals to younger audience who have been shut out of next years festival does her no good.

If you are in or around the pit it will be good but the rest of field will just be chatter waiting for bad guy tbh.

Just catching up on this and I must say I will be devastated if Kendrick doesn't headline but happy for fans of Billie. I really liked her first album (still need to listen to her new one) but Kendrick is one of my all time fav artists haha.

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Acts with a very strong upward trajectory (that zeitgeist booking): Stormzy, (Billie Eilish), Ed Sheeran, (probably Arctic Monkeys/KOL at the time they headlined), Arcade Fire, Mumfords.

Where Arcade Fire really on a strong upward trajectory when they were booked?

I think they'd fit more in your 3rd category of established festival bands.

25 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Follow up release after winning album of the hear at the Grammys and becoming a bonified arena act is still going upwards at this point in 2014. 

35 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Reflektor had a lot of hype I think, and the suburbs put them on the map to people who wouldn’t ordinarily listen to their music.

7 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

1975 just need a few new songs and a slick social media campaign to be back to where they were.

Its a bit premature to be putting them on the scrap heap IMO

I just can’t see it really. The kids have moved on and they don’t seem to have been embraced by the mature festival crowd.

The reason why acts like Taylor Swift Coldplay, Rolling Stones, Foo Fighters etc are such strong options is that age demographic doesn’t matter when it comes to their fans.