2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I'm just not convinced with elton until there is something else put out there to indicate that he's interested in the festival. He's been silent on it and eavis has been silent on booking him. It’s not like other artists where the BBC / NME / etc jump on a bandwagon by rolling out articles of him turning up. It’s like the press haven’t really been briefed that he is a possibility.

I hope I don't upset reg fans, but I do just have this gut feeling that he's not interested in the place. I love reg but he's a very opinionated man. It wouldn't surprise me if he has some feeling about the place and vowed never to play. Mainly due to the fact he seems to always tour around the festival and never show up. Eavis never mentions him either, which may indicate they’ve tried before and received a pretty solid no. (All hypothetical and just a talking point).

I've no real strong feelings about whether he will be there or not (would see him if we were both there), but I don't think it has to be anything against Glastonbury per se but maybe just not much interest in doing festivals. I think Bestival is the only one he's done? So maybe he's just not really into the lack of control over every element of it that he would have at his own gigs.

I dunno, though. They might persuade him.

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I'm just not convinced with elton until there is something else put out there to indicate that he's interested in the festival. He's been silent on it and eavis has been silent on booking him. It’s not like other artists where the BBC / NME / etc jump on a bandwagon by rolling out articles of him turning up. It’s like the press haven’t really been briefed that he is a possibility.

I hope I don't upset reg fans, but I do just have this gut feeling that he's not interested in the place. I love reg but he's a very opinionated man. It wouldn't surprise me if he has some feeling about the place and vowed never to play. Mainly due to the fact he seems to always tour around the festival and never show up. Eavis never mentions him either, which may indicate they’ve tried before and received a pretty solid no. (All hypothetical and just a talking point).

He certainly isn’t a great fan of festivals, that’s for sure! He’s expressed lots of admiration for Billie Eilish so that could make Glastonbury a little more appealing for him??

I would say plenty of big artists such as U2 and the Stones are reluctant to do shows off their own terms and both made exceptions for Glastonbury.

“I haven’t been asked, no,” he previously told BBC Radio 6’s Matt Everitt.
“I mean, they may have asked – but no one’s ever told me.
“But I love Glastonbury – what Glastonbury is good at, not just putting all sorts of music on the big stages, but it’s a great springboard for young acts.”

Doesn’t sound to me like a guy who’s vowed never to play. Think it’s more likely that neither side has gone out of their way reaching out.

18 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Until we have our next curveball I think Billie, Macca, Taylor are our headliners.

A Glastonbury first booking two female artists in one year, and the fact that I can’t really see why Taylor wouldn’t come back. She’s more enthusiastic about her slot than Kendrick was, and Macca being in Belgium the week before means it has to be a done deal.

A lot of focus in on the headliners, but I think once the poster drops it will look fine in context. Let’s not forget that Billie, Macca, Taylor, Diana would potentially be sat on top of

Aerosmith, Queens of the Stone Age, Noel Gallagher, Lorde, Pet Shop Boys, Dua Lipa

Aint no other festival booking diverse lineups like that.

I completely forgot the Pet Shop Boys we’re still likely.

On a personal note, a trio of QOTSA, Reg and PSB would suit me just fine. Give me that and you can have Taylor AND Billie.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Have kind of avoided this thread most of the past year as ticketless and mired in the shit thread, but I've just caught up on 20-odd pages and it feels like olden times.

Main takeaway for me though is the shock news that QOTSA are still a thing and people are excited about seeing them. 

Some of us are still pretending it's 2002 though.

48 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Eavis never mentions him either, which may indicate they’ve tried before and received a pretty solid no.

That’s an interesting point, I can’t remember either Eavis mentioning him at all really. Not even when thinking about legendary acts that haven’t played. It’s always Fleetwood Mac and that’s about it. I wonder why he doesn’t register with them? Maybe they’re just not fans.

16 minutes ago, kalifire said:

That’s an interesting point, I can’t remember either Eavis mentioning him at all really. Not even when thinking about legendary acts that haven’t played. It’s always Fleetwood Mac and that’s about it. I wonder why he doesn’t register with them? Maybe they’re just not fans.

Yes whenever Emily mentions her fridge list he is never on there.

I don’t think them being fans really means it’s less or more likely I think they book quite objectively - but pursue artists that they really really think would be a good fit and have been impressed by (like Billie/Kendrick/Taylor 🤪)

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yes whenever Emily mentions her fridge list he is never on there.

I don’t think them being fans really means it’s less or more likely I think they book quite objectively - but pursue artists that they really really think would be a good fit and have been impressed by (like Billie/Kendrick/Taylor 🤪)

It ultimately boils down to whether Elton himself wants to do it or not. He may not have shown much interest in the past, but it is quite possible he wants to sign his last tour off with a big set at Glastonbury. if he is keen then the Eavii aren't going to turn him down.

Either that or those dates next June are just one final massive cocktease for old times' sake.

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

It ultimately boils down to whether Elton himself wants to do it or not. He may not have shown much interest in the past, but it is quite possible he wants to sign his last tour off with a big set at Glastonbury. if he is keen then the Eavii aren't going to turn him down.

Either that or those dates next June are just one final massive cocktease for old times' sake.

I still think they've made the approach and were told either 'no thanks, never, fuck off with that fee' or 'yes, on my final hurrah'. Must be the only reason he's never been courted in the press. He obviously always mapped out a massive final tour so him saying yes to Glasto could have happened years ago, they were just waiting for the final tour to actually take place for him to slot in. 

I'm somewhat hopefully thinking the latter is the case. Elton will know that the hype round a Glastonbury set will be exactly what's needed to sell out those final tickets and possible 'extra dates' to be added. The fee for a one off gig might be a pittance to him, but as an advert whilst in the middle of a massive stadium/arena tour? Different kettle of fish. 

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

I wonder if they’ve had issues with his various ‘people.’ He says something in that 2016 interview about how if he has been asked nobody has told him. I wonder if some big acts just have a manager that laughs at the fee, like with Springsteen had to bypass his team and went to him direct IIRC. Or maybe Elton is one of the few people Chris Martin isn’t friends with so they can’t send him in to sell it.

26 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I wonder if they’ve had issues with his various ‘people.’ He says something in that 2016 interview about how if he has been asked nobody has told him. I wonder if some big acts just have a manager that laughs at the fee, like with Springsteen had to bypass his team and went to him direct IIRC. Or maybe Elton is one of the few people Chris Martin isn’t friends with so they can’t send him in to sell it.

On the other hand, Elton has done a fair bit of stuff with Dua the past year, maybe she has spoken to him about it?

1 hour ago, TownesMR said:

I'm willing to say Like Clockwork was one of the best albums of the 2010s that I would simply call a "Rock" record. I didn't like their last album at all, but would totally be into seeing them again if whatever they do next is good.

Yea Villains is an incredibly bang average album, hated Mark Ronsons production on it, after ...Like Clockwork which is one of my favourite albums of all time it fell pretty flat.