2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

He'd never still associate himself with that name, erm:

download (22).jpeg

That reminded me of something I'd long forgotten...back in 1988 I got the Elton John Sotheby's Catalogue, 4 books of all his gear, they're amazing books, just dug them out now, of course I didn't bid for anything as was way out my league, but I see the books themselves are worth £50. Bring on Reg!

Elton John Sothebys.jpg

12 hours ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

He is gigging in England around Glastonbury. The gig before Glastonbury weekend is in Bristol and the gig after is in Swansea.

I think, there is more evidence for Elton playing than any other headline act

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

He’s had shows and tours around GF too many times in the past for us not to apply a pinch of salt.

That said I do suspect things could be different this time.

Elton's tour dates around Glastonbury since 2010.

2010 (Glastonbury was 26 to 28 June)
20 Jun Graz, Austria
22 Jun Koice, Slovakia
26 Jun Minsk, Belarus
29 Jun Torshavn, Faroe Islands 

2011 (Glastonbury was 24 to 26 June)
25 Jun Northampton, UK
26 Jun Hove, UK
28 Jun Cork, Ireland
01 Jul Freiburg, Germany 

2013 (Glastonbury was 28 to 30 June)
23 Jun Cork, Ireland
29 Jun Tallinn, Estonia
03 Jul Saint-Ma-du-Bois, France 

2014 (Glastonbury was 27 to 29 June)
24 Jun Nottingham, UK
28 Jun Buckinghamshire, UK
29 Jun Colchester, UK
02 Jul Newcastle, UK 

2015 (Glastonbury was 26 to 28 June)
23 Jun Vejle, Denmark
01 Jul Uppsala, Sweden 

2016 (Glastonbury was 24 to 26 June)
19 Jun Exeter, UK
25 Jun Edinburgh, Scotland
26 Jun Blenheim Palace, UK
30 Jun Alesund, Norway
01 Jul Trondheim, Norway 

2017 (Glastonbury was 23 to 25 June)
20 Jun Cork, Ireland

24 Jun Airdrie, Scotland
25 Jun Saint-Herblain, France
27 Jun Cologne, Germany
29 Jun Kristiansand, Norway

2019 (Glastonbury was 28 to 30 June)
23 Jun Nimes, France
26 Jun Madrid, Spain
29 Jun Montreux Jazz Festival, Switzerland
30 Jun Montreux Jazz Festival, Switzerland
03 Jul Graz, Austria 

2020 (Glastonbury would have been 27 to 29 June)
As far as I can find, nothing booked. Tour was due to continue in September though I did find one venue claiming a rescheduled date from June 2020.

All in all, loads of chances for him to appear but nothing previous.

4 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I guess we have different definitions of evidence then

So what evidence is there?

Edited by Gnomicide
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Gnomicide said:

20 Jun Graz, Austria
22 Jun Koice, Slovakia
26 Jun Minsk, Belarus

25 Jun Northampton, UK
26 Jun Hove, UK
28 Jun Cork, Ireland
01 Jul Freiburg, Germany 

23 Jun Cork, Ireland
29 Jun Tallinn, Estonia

24 Jun Nottingham, UK
29 Jun Colchester, UK
02 Jul Newcastle, UK 

23 Jun Vejle, Denmark
01 Jul Uppsala, Sweden 

19 Jun Exeter, UK
30 Jun Alesund, Norway
01 Jul Trondheim, Norway 

24 Jun Airdrie, Scotland
27 Jun Cologne, Germany
30 Jun Hamar, Norway
02 Jul Stockholm, Sweden 

23 Jun Nimes, France
26 Jun Madrid, Spain
03 Jul Graz, Austria 

As far as I can find, nothing booked. Tour was due to continue in September though I did find one venue claiming a rescheduled date from June 2020.

Oh my god of course there is no evidence this is a festival rumour forum discussion board let us breathe 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

But yes thank you for pulling this together. Elton has had many chances to play and doesn’t. I am going to be cautious about it for this exact reason. I wonder if he was asked a long time ago and said that he didn’t fancy it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

20 Jun Graz, Austria
22 Jun Koice, Slovakia
26 Jun Minsk, Belarus

25 Jun Northampton, UK
26 Jun Hove, UK
28 Jun Cork, Ireland
01 Jul Freiburg, Germany 

23 Jun Cork, Ireland
29 Jun Tallinn, Estonia

24 Jun Nottingham, UK
29 Jun Colchester, UK
02 Jul Newcastle, UK 

23 Jun Vejle, Denmark
01 Jul Uppsala, Sweden 

19 Jun Exeter, UK
30 Jun Alesund, Norway
01 Jul Trondheim, Norway 

24 Jun Airdrie, Scotland
27 Jun Cologne, Germany
30 Jun Hamar, Norway
02 Jul Stockholm, Sweden 

23 Jun Nimes, France
26 Jun Madrid, Spain
03 Jul Graz, Austria 

Why would you play Glastonbury when you still have provincial football stadia to tick off?

We just need a League 2 club to move in temporarily. He'd be all over it then.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Oh my god of course there is no evidence this is a festival rumour forum discussion board let us breathe 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I won't allow it. I demand every rumour be shot down immediately unless there is some basis in fact!

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I won't allow it. I demand every rumour be shot down immediately unless there is some basis in fact!

It’s a pet peeve of mine when people ask for a high standard of evidence on a festival speculation forum. Like what do they expect? Us to produce the contracts in advance of their announcement.

To me efestivals definition of “nailed on” means, on a festival tour, Glastonbury gap, not playing any other competing festivals, and perhaps some cryptic quote in the press like “I’d love to play I hope glasto ask me”. That’s pretty much as far as we get in terms of a ‘nailed on’ confirmation. I don’t know why people expect more?

A strong rumour is someone who is around, has a gap, would fit the festival, and doesn’t seem to be anywhere else. I’d say Elton fits this. Only thing Elton is missing is some proximity to the festival. We need something from Emily or Elton himself to actually discuss interest in having him play. Then il feel more confident. At the moment it feels like Deja vu where he is just around, but that’s it.

13 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I guess we have different definitions of evidence then

As below, not gonna get my hopes up when we’ve been burnt too many times. And I’d love to be wrong.

12 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

20 Jun Graz, Austria
22 Jun Koice, Slovakia
26 Jun Minsk, Belarus

25 Jun Northampton, UK
26 Jun Hove, UK
28 Jun Cork, Ireland
01 Jul Freiburg, Germany 

23 Jun Cork, Ireland
29 Jun Tallinn, Estonia

24 Jun Nottingham, UK
29 Jun Colchester, UK
02 Jul Newcastle, UK 

23 Jun Vejle, Denmark
01 Jul Uppsala, Sweden 

19 Jun Exeter, UK
30 Jun Alesund, Norway
01 Jul Trondheim, Norway 

20 Jun Cork, Ireland

24 Jun Airdrie, Scotland
27 Jun Cologne, Germany

23 Jun Nimes, France
26 Jun Madrid, Spain
03 Jul Graz, Austria 

Don’t think he was ever at the races for 2020. If memory serves he was playing in Dallas that weekend?

Just now, Matt42 said:

It’s a pet peeve of mine when people ask for a high standard of evidence on a festival speculation forum. Like what do they expect? Us to produce the contracts in advance of their announcement.

To me efestivals definition of “nailed on” means, on a festival tour, Glastonbury gap, not playing any other competing festivals, and perhaps some cryptic quote in the press like “I’d love to play I hope glasto ask me”. That’s pretty much as far as we get in terms of a ‘nailed on’ confirmation. I don’t know why people expect more?

A strong rumour is someone who is around, has a gap, would fit the festival, and doesn’t seem to be anywhere else. I’d say Elton fits this. Only thing Elton is missing is some proximity to the festival. We need something from Emily or Elton himself to actually discuss interest in having him play. Then il feel more confident. At the moment it feels like Deja vu where he is just around, but that’s it.

I wanted to look up his dates because it's a much bandied about 'fact' on here that Elton is always around during Glastonbury weekend. I'm sure I've used it myself so I wanted to see if it was true or did it just feel that way. Turns out it is.

The reason I mentioned evidence is Florian mentioned dates then when Hugh mentioned the old 'Elton is always around line, Flaurian came back with "I guess we have different definitions of evidence then". So I'm wondering what other evidence there is. Has something else happened?

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I wanted to look up his dates because it's a much bandied about 'fact' on here that Elton is always around during Glastonbury weekend. I'm sure I've used it myself so I wanted to see if it was true or did it just feel that way. Turns out it is.

The reason I mentioned evidence is Florian mentioned dates then when Hugh mentioned the old 'Elton is always around line, Flaurian came back with "I guess we have different definitions of evidence then". So I'm wondering what other evidence there is. Has something else happened?

Oh no I’m just going off on a rant.

The truth is there is no evidence there is only a fact he’s about and available. It’s also interlinked with the fact that some 2020 headliners could not be back and there being a potential spot available.

Problem with Elton is that we’ve had this before where he’s been available to play and hasn’t. 

Edited by Matt42

This is from 2016 but Elton said he’d never been asked to headline, despite touring around Glastonbury for several years prior to that as shown above. Obviously next year could be slightly different when it’s the last proper chance to get him, but it does feel like an Elton John headline set isn’t really one of their priorities and personally I don’t see that changing next year. 

According to the RW forum the final headliner for NOS alive is intended to be RHCP. Which they are apparently in negotiations for.

That means that Kendrick Lamar is not returning to Rock Werchter or NOS Alive which he was due to play in 2020.

So it’s not looking great for Kendrick prospects in Europe 2022. A reminder that one user says he’s not coming back to Europe until 2023.

Great work @Gnomicide for a Mini Reg Thingy.

I don't know Elton John personally, I don't know his thought process, but based purely on a hunch I do wonder if next year is different for him.

We don't know why but it seems like neither the festival or him have shown much interest in each other in years past. Might be down to fees or other demands or the festival just deciding to pursue other artists.... Elton might be looking back now as he winds down his touring career and see Glastonbury as the last big gig he's never done, and what better way to sign off a life on the road with a greatest hits set on El Pointo (I bet he calls it that)? Similarly Elton John is one of the few remaining megastars still touring regularly the festival have never booked, getting him to play the second last night of his farewell UK Tour would be a massive coup even for them.

Feels like the stars are aligning.... this time it's different.

13 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Do you not agree there is some evidence? I think there is more evidence than if he currently has no gigs announced for next summer (like some of the other potential headline acts) or if he was gigging in Australia at the time

Maybe I should have said scant rather than none. I think being a historical booking is probably better evidence rather than dates, when we’ve had dates many times before and it’s come to nothing. A lot of this is self preservation!

For example, I’d agree he’s more likely to headline than Kendrick Lamar in light of the recent Werchter announcements.

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

According to the RW forum the final headliner for NOS alive is intended to be RHCP. Which they are apparently in negotiations for.

That means that Kendrick Lamar is not returning to Rock Werchter or NOS Alive which he was due to play in 2020.

So it’s not looking great for Kendrick prospects in Europe 2022. A reminder that one user says he’s not coming back to Europe until 2023.

What are you referring to? In the RW thread it was mentioned that NOS Alive replied to a fan comment asking for RHCP that they WON'T be back in 2022 and tickets can be exchanged (look on Facebook for the post with the confirmation of The Strokes).

And with Kendrick, as mentioned several times (I think) in this thread and in the RW one, it is tricky because he's kind of spontaneous. Last year at this time it looked like he won't tour in Europe 2021 but as we know that plan changed in late summer. Could be similiar regarding next year, could be different this time...

53 minutes ago, Pastor.Of.Muppets said:

What are you referring to? In the RW thread it was mentioned that NOS Alive replied to a fan comment asking for RHCP that they WON'T be back in 2022 and tickets can be exchanged (look on Facebook for the post with the confirmation of The Strokes).

And with Kendrick, as mentioned several times (I think) in this thread and in the RW one, it is tricky because he's kind of spontaneous. Last year at this time it looked like he won't tour in Europe 2021 but as we know that plan changed in late summer. Could be similiar regarding next year, could be different this time...

Yeah I would believe that there hasn’t been a firm decision either way on Kendrick Lamar touring next summer, given how he was reportedly late to agree to dates for 2020 and then 2021 fests moved on without him.

Glastonbury has the liberty of waiting around until March with a sold out festival. If he doesn’t sign up, someone else will be on hand.

Quite possibly the same for McCartney too.

1 hour ago, Pastor.Of.Muppets said:

Opener seemed to be the first place which announced him back last time - so that’s the festival I’m really watching as they seem to be extremely keen in getting him back. At the moment there is still a space but we do seem to be missing a fair few of the people who are probably about. I don’t think it’s a done deal but it doesn’t look like RW / Nos have him.

I really want to be wrong though. Just as a caveat.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I would believe that there hasn’t been a firm decision either way on Kendrick Lamar touring next summer, given how he was reportedly late to agree to dates for 2020 and then 2021 fests moved on without him.

Glastonbury has the liberty of waiting around until March with a sold out festival. If he doesn’t sign up, someone else will be on hand.

Quite possibly the same for McCartney too.

Depends on if he is willing to come over just for Glasto - agreed they don't have to rush to book in new people but other Euro fests do seem to be in a bit more of a rush to get things sorted early.

48 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Opener seemed to be the first place which announced him back last time - so that’s the festival I’m really watching as they seem to be extremely keen in getting him back. At the moment there is still a space but we do seem to be missing a fair few of the people who are probably about. I don’t think it’s a done deal but it doesn’t look like RW / Nos have him.

I really want to be wrong though. Just as a caveat.

Kendrick was meant to be playing Les Ardentes rather than Rock Werchter this summer anyway, so it's possible he'll be announced for that next year too. Still early days.