2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don’t see why Macca would be playing a festival in Belgium the weekend before Glastonbury and not then headline Glastonbury. I can’t see anything but Macca there, he’s the most nailed on for me.

Which then suggests either no Elton, or Macca and Elton on the same bill. The latter seems so outrageous I just don’t think it’s happening, although I do have to concede Taylor is currently looking the most likely to skip the festival. With the massive caveat that we’ve still got a VERY long way to go, and in a normal year we wouldn’t have any tours announced at this stage for summer 2022.

Betting on what we know at this specific moment in time, I’d go Kendrick, Elton and Macca, but I do still think there’s a decent chance Taylor is announcing a tour in the coming months which would obviously change the picture significantly.

I actually forgot about Macca’s Belgium date.

If both Macca and Elton have said to the festival that this is likely their last ever tour and they both want to play, what are the Eavii going to do? Say no to one because they don't want two absolute older legends on the same bill? Taylor, Kendrick, Billie, they aren't going away any time soon so why not push them a year or two. IF, and big IF, Macca is locked in and Elton was originally penciled in for '21, then of course they will try have them both on the '23 lineup if it's the last chance they'll get.

But also Elton is such a heavily favoured rumour on eFests every year and it always eventuates to nothing.

14 minutes ago, nicnzl said:

But also Elton is such a heavily favoured rumour on eFests every year and it always eventuates to nothing.

This is true, but he doesn't usually have dates announced which look so blatantly Glasto friendly

3 minutes ago, waltere said:

This is true, but he doesn't usually have dates announced which look so blatantly Glasto friendly

This is me just trying to calm my expectations, I'm 99% on the Elton hype train. Although who knows if I'll even be able to attend from NZ next year.

Here's my 2 cents and you're not going to like it. You know I love predictions and you've all had some fun so now I'm going to take it up a notch.

In the interview above literally taken about a month before 2020 cancelled she said she already had three headliners in mind for 2021.

So that's three headliners drafting / clearing Glastonbury weekend as ‘free’ in their touring schedules. It would explain why massive headliners have left weekends free randomly.

I think acts like Elton and Billie we're very much lined up to play Glastonbury, and probably sorted their tours with this in mind - but because 2020 headliners have first refusal / maybe have already agreed to return, they've lucked out.

Maybe Elton and even Billie are caught in the backlog because no one is pulling out.

Edited by Matt42

Thing is, I don’t think Elton would keep a gap free if he wasn’t guaranteed to play. If he was told he was backup even due to other circumstances, he would tell them where to go. He would’ve known what the craic is by now and probably announced another show but he hasn’t and it’s as clear as day, a show on the weekend (Glasto weekend) in the middle of gigs in Bristol and Swansea. Doesn’t get much clearer.

They've definitely had an agreement to do it on the last leg, I’m convinced and I don’t think that Glastonbury can go back on that as the others bar Macca have many years left, Elton will be finished forever. which is why I feel it will be Elton / Macca / Swift or Kendrick / Macca / Elton 

9 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Thing is, I don’t think Elton would keep a gap free if he wasn’t guaranteed to play. If he was told he was backup even due to other circumstances, he would tell them where to go. He would’ve known what the craic is by now and probably announced another show but he hasn’t and it’s as clear as day, a show on the weekend (Glasto weekend) in the middle of gigs in Bristol and Swansea. Doesn’t get much clearer.

They've definitely had an agreement to do it on the last leg, I’m convinced and I don’t think that Glastonbury can go back on that as the others bar Macca have many years left, Elton will be finished forever. which is why I feel it will be Elton / Macca / Swift or Kendrick / Macca / Elton 

Indeed, and then it comes down to who do they bump between Kendrick and Taylor.

My feeling is that Taylor would be more willing to make allowances and sit a year out than Kendrick. Kenny will probably blast through the European festivals in a summer then won’t come back for a while and they miss him then tough.

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Indeed, and then it comes down to who do they bump between Kendrick and Taylor.

My feeling is that Taylor would be more willing to make allowances and sit a year out than Kendrick. Kenny will probably blast through the European festivals in a summer then won’t come back for a while and they miss him then tough.

I agree. Given they had headliners booked for 21 and 22 they are going to have to stand three down.

If two of them are legends who are unlikely to be available again you could understand prioritising Macca and Elton.

They'd likely then want some diversity which you obviously get in different ways with Kendrick or Taylor.

It seemed like Taylor was Michael's pick for the 50th and I wonder whether that could be a factor given they have missed two festivals and he isn't getting any younger.

So I'm going Elton/Macca/Taylor.

Wasn’t Elton supposed to have been retired by the time the 2021 festival came along? Maybe I’m misremembering but I’m fairly certain we’d said goodbye to any chance of him ever being at Glastonbury when he wasn’t one of our 2020 lot, and so I don’t think he was ever pencilled in for 2021.

Not that things couldn’t have changed what with the pandemic, but I don’t buy the theory that he’s somebody they’ve kept on from 2021 (unless, of course, I’m misremembering).

I really don't think, if all three 2020 headliners were able to return, AND whoever was booked for 2021 was also willing, that the festival would bump off anyone from 2020. I feel really confident they'd go with that original trio, regardless of any ultimatums from Elton or whoever else.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Worth remembering that while this is Reg’s last ever TOUR I think he said he would still do the odd one-off so may not be quite as “now or never” as it looks.

He’d be more special as a one off booking a year or two down the line anyway I think. Personally I’d want to spread out the legendary bookings, and if you’ve already got Macca for 2022, I’d want Reg at the one after. If Taylor is out, get Dua instead and keep that nice balance they have.

It just would not surprise me if the festival had two years worth of headliners lined up to try and play. A fair few festivals now have booked two weekends because of demand. I can't see Glasto being any different, especially as Glasto is one of the festivals at the top of touring acts bucketlists.

it's what they do with it I'm interested in. My hunch is 2020 get the first priority and the rest unfortunately passed on.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

It just would not surprise me if the festival had two years worth of headliners lined up to try and play. A fair few festivals now have booked two weekends because of demand. I can't see Glasto being any different, especially as Glasto is one of the festivals at the top of touring acts bucketlists.

Problem is that they won’t get a second weekend, absolutely zero chance of the locals allowing that.

Secondly, you don’t get “co-headliners” at Glastonbury. Whoever is on last is the headliner and the guy on before is a glorified sub. I don’t really see the likes of Elton John playing second fiddle to anyone.

As you say, more likely is that some are told they have to wait.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Problem is that they won’t get a second weekend, absolutely zero chance of the locals allowing that.

Secondly, you don’t get “co-headliners” at Glastonbury. Whoever is on last is the headliner and the guy on before is a glorified sub. I don’t really see the likes of Elton John playing second fiddle to anyone.

As you say, more likely is that some are told they have to wait.

Sorry what I mean is 2 sets of headliners waiting to play. Not 2 sets of headliners in one year 

What is interesting is if they did have 2 sets waiting to play - who do we think they were?

Is it fair to predict 

1 - Kendrick Lamar, Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift

2 - X, Elton John, Billie Eilish

Wonder who the missing one could be? By touring activity it could very much have been Muse 😂

Just now, Matt42 said:

What is interesting is if they did have 2 sets waiting to play - who do we think they were?

Is it fair to predict 

1 - Kendrick Lamar, Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift

2 - X, Elton John, Billie Eilish

Wonder who the missing one could be? By touring activity it could very much have been Muse 😂

Think your X would be a band, probably one who has played before and touring a new record.

Arctic Monkeys would be my bet.