2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

So Macca looks in, and the feeling seems to be that Taylor will too (despite little concrete and evidence).

All eyes on Kenny now.

My take would be that Billie has been asked to keep that weekend free just in case. Her people have probably thought that while she’s waiting they squeeze another O2 show in so it’s not a complete waste if she’s not called.

I like this. Squeeze a date in on the Saturday because that is when Macca is set to play. 

43 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Guys Macca isn’t out. He won’t be playing the same date as Nick Cave

TW Classic is like BST.

There's usually only one TW Classic each year (because you need a really big name for such a mass event), but due to the large selection of names, there will be two of those. One will be headlined by Nick Cave, the other presumably by McCartney

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My take would be that Billie has been asked to keep that weekend free just in case. Her people have probably thought that while she’s waiting they squeeze another O2 show in so it’s not a complete waste if she’s not called.

Honestly, I don't think the festival has the kind of heft to make that kind of request - especially with artists that don't have a strong connection to the festival and that clearly hated being there last time they played.

She's in more than enough demand that if the Festival aren't prepare to book her outright, then she can tell them to piss off. I guess it's possible that after last time she wants a chance at redemption and so has been pushing to go back and is prepared to wait, but that seems like a long shot.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Honestly, I don't think the festival has the kind of heft to make that kind of request - especially with artists that don't have a strong connection to the festival and that clearly hated being there last time they played.

She's in more than enough demand that if the Festival aren't prepare to book her outright, then she can tell them to piss off. I guess it's possible that after last time she wants a chance at redemption and so has been pushing to go back and is prepared to wait, but that seems like a long shot.

In an ordinary year yes, but I think most artists right now understand there is a 2 year backlog. Many artists are being turned away from stadium dates.

Yeah, I don't think Billie is standing by for anyone at this stage. 

My tea leaves are telling me Taylor is on that Mad Cool lineup but embargoed, and she'll drop a load of dates in the next couple months.

Eyes on the likes of Roskilde and NOS to see if Kenny starts appearing. Roskilde look to be doing a smaller event this summer, so might be a bit longer until we get owt from them.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Yeah, I don't think Billie is standing by for anyone at this stage. 

My tea leaves are telling me Taylor is on that Mad Cool lineup but embargoed, and she'll drop a load of dates in the next couple months.

Eyes on the likes of Roskilde and NOS to see if Kenny starts appearing. Roskilde look to be doing a smaller event this summer, so might be a bit longer until we get owt from them.

Kendrick doesn’t seem to be jumping on any US shows which have been announced from July - October, so it says to me that he’s pushed everything back to 2022.

You all know i’d love Billie to be there but its starting to get really promising that the entire top line of Glasto 2020 could be rebooked (aside from lana at the mo).

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

In an ordinary year yes, but I think most artists right now understand there is a 2 year backlog. Many artists are being turned away from stadium dates.

Even with that in mind - Glastonbury is still a gig that pays roughly 10%-25% of what she'd be earning at another festival or doing her own shows while still having similar overheads. So for her to agree to be "on standby", she'd have to really want to do Glastonbury specifically and I've no reason to believe that's likely to be the case.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Even with that in mind - Glastonbury is still a gig that pays roughly 10%-25% of what she'd be earning at another festival or doing her own shows while still having similar overheads. So for her to agree to be "on standby", she'd have to really want to do Glastonbury specifically and I've no reason to believe that's likely to be the case.

Whether or not Billie herself enjoyed her 2019 set (I think she did I don’t know what everyone is on about) her management will know that headlining Glastonbury is a big deal. We don’t live in a vacuum anymore, after seeing the likes of Taylor, Adele etc headlining they will know it’s something you jump at.

I think this low pay argument can be a bit reductive sometimes, as the current track record for bookings shows that US acts are absolutely knocking at the door of the festival to play. Maybe in the 90s, but not now.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Matt42 said:

Whether or not Billie herself enjoyed her 2019 (I think she did I don’t know what everyone is on about) her management will know that headlining Glastonbury is a big deal. We don’t live in a vacuum anymore, after seeing the likes of Taylor, Adele etc headlining the thing they will know it’s something you jump at.

I think this low pay argument can be a bit reductive sometimes, as the current track record for bookings shows that US acts are absolutely knocking at the door of the festival to play.

Hold on, I'm not using the low pay argument to suggest the festival can't get headliners - just that acts at that level aren't going to sit around waiting for someone else to drop out.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Hold on, I'm not using the low pay argument to suggest the festival can't get headliners - just that acts at that level aren't going to sit around waiting for someone else to drop out.

I think it’s not waiting for someone to drop out but to see how it pans out. Her team have probably got the same story from everywhere when booking shows “we need to give the incumbent first refusal but if they don’t come back to us a slot is available” sort of thing. 

1 hour ago, incident said:

If she has a gap in her schedule anyway then all that she’s doing is keeping one date free ahead of potentially adding one more show.

All speculation of course but the conversation could go “keep that Friday free as we might need you. If not we’ll definitely book you the year after”.

Just now, Woffy said:

I'm a bit out of the loop - what's the deal with LDR being unlikely?

I wouldn’t say she’s unlikely at this stage. There’s little to rule her in or out at the moment.

She barely toured NFR before having to cancel dates and has Chemtrails out now too. Would be surprised if she wasn’t touring next year.

7 minutes ago, Woffy said:

She hasn’t rearranged her Primavera Sound slot for next year so it follows that she might not be rearranging any of her shows.

Just takes one European show announcement until she’s back in and nailed on though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Woffy said:

She generally seems less and less bothered about touring nowadays and my gut feeling is that she won't be that interested in doing the 2022 circuit either. I wouldn't be surprised if she publicly retired from touring altogether at some point in the next few years and just stuck to being an album artist, which she does extremely well from without needing live income.

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I wouldn’t say she’s unlikely at this stage. There’s little to rule her in or out at the moment.

She barely toured NFR before having to cancel dates and has Chemtrails out now too. Would be surprised if she wasn’t touring next year.

Thanks Hugh. Forgot all about the previous being cancelled due to illness.

Here's hoping she'll be at G2022.

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

She generally seems less and less bothered about touring nowadays and my gut feeling is that she won't be that interested in doing the 2022 circuit either. I wouldn't be surprised if she publicly retired from touring altogether at some point in the next few years and just stuck to being an album artist, which she does extremely well from without needing live income.

Good point. Would be a shame though. Could definitely picture her doing more infrequent, 'exclusive', intimate (and subsequently feckin' expensive) shows going forward.

22 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

If this is true, I think it's awesome that Nick Cave is big enough in Germany that he can headline an event that Paul McCarthy is also headlining 

* Belgium. 😉 

But yeah, he's pretty huge here. In Belgium. (I can even see Cave filling the place quicker than Macca tbh.) I'm very happy because this will give him a big 2.30h timeslot in the darkness. Going to be epic. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah as others have said, with Lana all it takes is one European booking and she’s back in the game, but I’ve learnt not to hang all my hopes on her. She’s not got a great track record with rescheduling dates and I can see her being hesitant to sign up to anything in 2022. 

Then again she does talk highly of Glastonbury so it can’t be ruled out totally.

So I asked lord Ken in the RW thread if he’d heard anything about Taylor Swift or Kendrick Lamar being on the June 2022 circuit 

“No idea, originally, Taylor planned to be back in 2022. But maybe this is also delayed. And Kendrick has his own agenda, and this changes 1000 times a year :-).”

What I think he means is Taylor didn’t plan to be back in 2021 but planned to be back in 2022.

@jparx

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Uh oh. First indication Kendrick May do his touring before the summer. 

Not sure how relevant that is in terms of Europe.

I know HAIM are intending to try it, but with all the travel restrictions and potential for issues I can't see many US based artists planning to visit Europe this side of Easter.

Just now, incident said:

Not sure how relevant that is in terms of Europe.

I know HAIM are intending to try it, but with all the travel restrictions and potential for issues I can't see many US based artists planning to visit Europe this side of Easter.

Tbh it means nothing. I don’t think this changes his circumstances at all. Good to see he’s eager to perform again.