2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

44 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Libertines 2015. Think it only became known a few hours before it happened, and if I hadn’t checked efestivals mid festival I wouldn’t have known.

Plenty people around me in the crowd gasped when their backdrop fell down.

Was it a secret? Most on here knew it the night before and walking around site that day I got the impression it was pretty common knowledge.

14 minutes ago, incident said:

I think there's still a huge amount of distance between "not on the initial poster" and "secret set" with them - if the 2020 festival had gone ahead then I seriously doubt that Aerosmith wouldn't have been officially announced well in advance. I mean, they put it on their own E-Mail list so they can't have been too worried about people knowing.

There's any number of reasons that they may have simply preferred not to be in the initial list of acts to drop - they may have wanted their own dedicated announcement (which would be fair enough given their status), they may have wanted to hold off to drive ticket sales for their own arena shows, or they may have felt that the developing pandemic meant there too much uncertainty.

Them leaking it on their mailing list has nothing to do with them being announced or not. Has happened before for secret sets. Probably borne out of a disconnect between whoever runs their marketing and whoever books their gigs.

I think all the reasons you provided are way less likely than them just being a headline-sized act not on the poster because they're playing a secret set, as is usually the case with headline-sized acts playing secret sets.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think all the reasons you provided are way less likely than them just being a headline-sized act not on the poster because they're playing a secret set, as is usually the case with headline-sized acts playing secret sets.

Fair enough - Personally I see any of those 3 reasons as far more likely than a secret set - assuming plans don't change again we'll likely find out either way with the 2022 festival.

38 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Was it a secret? Most on here knew it the night before and walking around site that day I got the impression it was pretty common knowledge.

I was pretty gonners the Thursday and Friday that year so it probably missed me.

I do see the Aerosmith situation a little bit different though. A heritage band who have probably be told by someone (maybe mick jagger idk) that this is something they really need to do. So they are willing to take whatever to do it.

Billie is at the height of her popularity. It makes more sense for her to wait until she can headline. 

Edited by Matt42

18 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Libertines 2015. Think it only became known a few hours before it happened, and if I hadn’t checked efestivals mid festival I wouldn’t have known.

Plenty people around me in the crowd gasped, shook their heads, and walked off when their backdrop fell down.

edited that for you

On 5/29/2021 at 9:35 AM, Hugh Jass said:

When is a secret set ever secret though?

Thom Yorke djing in the airplane fuselage and like 20 people watching it go down? Aphex Twin djing and nobody having any clue who the hell is behind the decks is one of the best ones whenever its happened? 

28 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Thom Yorke djing in the airplane fuselage and like 20 people watching it go down? Aphex Twin djing and nobody having any clue who the hell is behind the decks is one of the best ones whenever its happened? 

At Glastonbury? I think everyone knew AFX was Aphex Twin in 2015 weeks before the festival and apparently it was mobbed - unless you mean a different time.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

At Glastonbury? I think everyone knew AFX was Aphex Twin in 2015 weeks before the festival and apparently it was mobbed - unless you mean a different time.

In general for glasto, sorry i shouldve specified. And yeah, see above.

Edited by Suprefan

There’s a slight difference between a DJ set somewhere buried deep in the naughty corner in the middle of the night and a daytime set on one of the big stages. Any gap in the schedule or attempt at a pseudonym becomes jumped on and analysed in depth weeks before we even get to the festival.

10 hours ago, mcshed said:

The AFX set was in the Temple and was well known about beforehand, the Spike one was more under the radar.

I see. A very good secret it was then!

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There’s a slight difference between a DJ set somewhere buried deep in the naughty corner in the middle of the night and a daytime set on one of the big stages. Any gap in the schedule or attempt at a pseudonym becomes jumped on and analysed in depth weeks before we even get to the festival.

Yeah. They still seem happy to do them though and I don’t think that will be a deterrent.

@Suprefan are you sure Billie has another O2 date? A few posts out now that the Europe tour is fully sold out. I don’t know why they wouldn’t announce the Sunday date.

Whilst I don’t think she’s playing - if she’s only booked up on the glasto Saturday and no gigs on the Friday / Sunday, we can’t rule her out yet. Especially since she is confirmed in the country on Glasto weekend, and the nearest gigs are spaced out a few days away.

694CCBC4-3F10-42D5-946B-72E673A7129A.png

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

@Suprefan are you sure Billie has another O2 date? A few posts out now that the Europe tour is fully sold out. I don’t know why they wouldn’t announce the Sunday date.

Whilst I don’t think she’s playing - if she’s only booked up on the glasto Saturday and no gigs on the Friday / Sunday, we can’t rule her out yet. Especially since she is confirmed in the country on Glasto weekend, and the nearest gigs are spaced out a few days away.

694CCBC4-3F10-42D5-946B-72E673A7129A.png

Here’s one for you Matt... if Billie is indeed free on the Sunday would you accept her headlining if it meant losing Taylor?

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Here’s one for you Matt... if Billie is indeed free on the Sunday would you accept her headlining if it meant losing Taylor?

Think this is the exact moment his brain will explode 

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Would suck but it’s also possible that Swift / Macca / Kendrick are switching dates. Macca could be playing Sunday and Taylor could be playing Saturday.

Unless one of them announce a date during Glasto weekend there is no rule that they returning on the exact dates that they were originally booked. 

You know today is a holiday and nothing will come up til maybe tomorrow? And I said the venue is being held so its their choice to use it or not. It should be added but 🤷🏻‍♂️. Now you get to rack your mind on a bigger will she or wont she if it stays like this.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Would suck but it’s also possible that Swift / Macca / Kendrick are switching dates. Macca could be playing Sunday and Taylor could be playing Saturday.

Unless one of them announce a date during Glasto weekend there is no rule that they returning on the exact dates that they were originally booked. 

68E90A91-4A94-4629-A6DA-0C15D3CD536B.gif

• Upvote 3