2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

29 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Could Billie Snot Sub Taylor? Or am I being crazy? I know she COULD headline but would she sub if it was Taylor?

No chance. There is having a big sub like say Liam Gallgher was and there is selling that tour that Billie has. 2 maybe 3 02 dates I could see but not 5. Plus the rest. 

But I don't think she will headline in 2023. It'll be on the second year and Glastonbury like to try people on their first if they can. I can see Reading grabbing her instead.

2 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Could Billie Snot Sub Taylor? Or am I being crazy? I know she COULD headline but would she sub if it was Taylor?

Nope. Its headline or nothing now. Pretty apparent with all her US  festival spots she got for the fall. Also, she sold out every date on the tour today except for the added O2 date. Even with the insane upcharge over here people still paid $500 to see her in bad seats. The only way she is a sub at Glasto now is if she was beneath like  U2, Rolling Stones, Beyonce etc. like the top 1% of artists who are stadium acts only. Its not that Taylor isnt on that level but you would have a pretty extensive argument as to who should headline if they were both on the same day. 

Edited by Suprefan

7 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Nope. Its headline or nothing now. Pretty apparent with all her US  festival spots she got for the fall. Also, she sold out every date on the tour today except for the added O2 date. Even with the insane upcharge over here people still paid $500 to see her in bad seats. The only way she is a sub at Glasto now is if she was beneath like  U2, Rolling Stones, Beyonce etc. like the top 1% of artists who are stadium acts only. Its not that Taylor isnt on that level but you would have a pretty extensive argument as to who should headline if they were both on the same day. 

Yup completely agree. I imagine even if her album isn't rated as good as her first by the media its still going to sell insane numbers. She has a number 1 single now thanks to the Bond theme. Which I'm sure will re enter the charts when the film comes out. She will be great booking if she headlines next year, I wonder if Reading will grab her first though. 

49 minutes ago, misterplow said:

I’d actually think Billie is (even) bigger than Taylor right now, so no. 

Possibly, but she’s bigger by hype and momentum, not quality and back catalogue. I don’t think there’s any chance she’d headline before her next album comes out, so at this point I think she’s in that weird ‘too big to sub, not quite a headliner yet’ zone. 

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Possibly, but she’s bigger by hype and momentum, not quality and back catalogue. I don’t think there’s any chance she’d headline before her next album comes out, so at this point I think she’s in that weird ‘too big to sub, not quite a headliner yet’ zone. 

Anyone who can sell out five O2 dates amongst a string of 4 other UK dates in a flash is a headliner. Even if she’s considered young. 

I’d say Billie and Taylor are just about as big as eachother. Taylor may be bigger in different markets, but there will be some markets that Billie beats Taylor in. It’s like comparing The Weeknd and Ed Sheeran. I don’t think it matters at the end of the day, they are both headline acts.

Also Billie’s second album is coming out next month? So I’m not sure what you mean about Billie headlining before her second album?

6 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Her next album is out this summer isn’t it? Meaning it’ll have been out best part of a year before next Glastonbury. Plenty of time for people to get familiar and for hype to build.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Her next album is out this summer isn’t it? Meaning it’ll have been out best part of a year before next Glastonbury. Plenty of time for people to get familiar and for hype to build.

Only like 3/4 weeks away. The tour is pretty much a year after the albums release.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Anyone who can sell out five O2 dates amongst a string of 4 other UK dates in a flash is a headliner.

Disagree. You’re being reductive. It doesn’t come down to that - there are many more facets to becoming a Glastonbury (specifically) headliner. 

35 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Disagree. You’re being reductive. It doesn’t come down to that - there are many more facets to becoming a Glastonbury (specifically) headliner. 

Well I’m not sure what Billie doesn’t have that other Glastonbury headliners have? She can sell tours like headliners do, she is contemporary and popular, and when she last was on the festival circuit her crowds were huge.

If you don’t like her music and you don’t want her to headline in the future it’s much easier just to say that. 

It’s be pretty daft to argue she’s anything other than a headliner now.

I did wonder about the possibility of her popping up doing an unannounced set somewhere on the Friday. Realistically though it could only really be on the Pyramid, it’d be bedlam if it got out she was playing anywhere else.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I did wonder about the possibility of her popping up doing an unannounced set somewhere on the Friday. Realistically though it could only really be on the Pyramid, it’d be bedlam if it got out she was playing anywhere else.

They did have The Killers on the John Peel Stage that time.

tumblr_mv6sqlF4yM1r3yxp8o1_500.jpg

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Let me know in advance so I can go shopping for a new rib cage.

Edited by Matt42

@kalifire my previous message was probs a bit harsh, sorry. I just see it this way.

I absolutely despise Post Malone and I really would consider it a waste if Glasto booked him to headline. However, I’m in no doubt that if the circumstances aligned, he would be a headliner - he’s far too big to deny.

I’m just hoping that he’s not on Glasto’s radar at all.

Edited by Matt42

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I did consider that, but look at the crowd she pulled to the Other during the day for an announced set. Just wouldn’t be safe to put her anywhere else.

If it's a secret set, they mitigate it. They've had Radiohead and Pulp on the Park and Killers on the John Peel - all acts who are bigger with the Glastonbury audience for sure - so, while I wouldn't expect it, I think a secret set isn't impossible if she's in the country.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If it's a secret set, they mitigate it. They've had Radiohead and Pulp on the Park and Killers on the John Peel - all acts who are bigger with the Glastonbury audience for sure - so, while I wouldn't expect it, I think a secret set isn't impossible if she's in the country.

Would be a pretty massive secret set though. Usually these seem to be for friends of the festival - and the Killers situation I don’t think they will repeat again as I don’t think they expect it to become common knowledge they were playing at that time. It was also a logistically nightmare.

I don’t know why they don’t put special guests on the pyramid / other where they won’t have these overcrowding nightmares? No idea why.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

When is a secret set ever secret though?

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

When is a secret set ever secret though?

Libertines 2015. Think it only became known a few hours before it happened, and if I hadn’t checked efestivals mid festival I wouldn’t have known.

Plenty people around me in the crowd gasped when their backdrop fell down.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t know why they don’t put special guests on the pyramid / other where they won’t have these overcrowding nightmares? No idea why.

Well, we're expecting there to be one next year. Aerosmith. But maybe it won't be on the Pyramid after all.

I think it doesn't usually happen because the exciting thing about it is that it's exclusive. It's gonna be this one-off experience for a reduced number of people. Pretty much why most secret sets at any festivals are on smaller stages than acts would usually play. The Killers playing 4pm on the Pyramid Stage and then coming back to play 9pm on the Pyramid Stage would be ass.

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well, we're expecting there to be one next year. Aerosmith. But maybe it won't be on the Pyramid after all.

I think there's still a huge amount of distance between "not on the initial poster" and "secret set" with them - if the 2020 festival had gone ahead then I seriously doubt that Aerosmith wouldn't have been officially announced well in advance. I mean, they put it on their own E-Mail list so they can't have been too worried about people knowing.

There's any number of reasons that they may have simply preferred not to be in the initial list of acts to drop - they may have wanted their own dedicated announcement (which would be fair enough given their status), they may have wanted to hold off to drive ticket sales for their own arena shows, or they may have felt that the developing pandemic meant there too much uncertainty.