2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

Genuinely can't see Kendrick doing it, and don't see him as a desirable first-headliner pick after three years either.

Why?

Hes a huge name in music that Emily clearly loves.

I reckon 2022 will be 2020s headliners with a few others lined up if one doesn’t take it.

If Kendrick can’t do his tour for June 2021 he will move it to 2022, like Aerosmith have.

Late summer festivals going ahead in the U.K. isn’t going to be the standard for mainland Europe. There is already heavy rumours that some more mainland Europe festivals (which Kendrick is scheduled to play) are going to cancel. 

Kendrick is v much in imo. The only one I’m unsure about is Macca. He didn’t seem like rescheduling glasto was at the top of his list for 2021 from his interviews. I think he’s the most likely headliner to say the ship has sailed. 

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Why?

I reckon 2022 will be 2020s headliners with a few others lined up if one doesn’t take it.

If Kendrick can’t do his tour for June 2021 he will move it to 2022, like Aerosmith have.

Late summer festivals going ahead in the U.K. isn’t going to be the standard for mainland Europe. There is already heavy rumours that some more mainland Europe festivals (which Kendrick is scheduled to play) are going to cancel. 

Kendrick is v much in imo. The only one I’m unsure about is Macca. He didn’t seem like rescheduling glasto was at the top of his list for 2021 from his interviews. I think he’s the most likely headliner to say the ship has sailed. 

Agree with all of this. Kendrick won’t have gotten any smaller between his first booking and next June, and hopefully he’ll have the next album out some time this year. My only doubt about Kendrick next year would be whether he decides to tour the US next summer instead or if someone over here (say R/L again) chuck a load of cash his way for exclusivity.

Taylor I think will do it, based on nothing but a feeling.

Macca... who knows? If not I could easily see the Eavii tapping up someone like Arctic Monkeys to replace him.

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Why?

Aye agree with this, plus all it will take is one or two big features and a new album at the end of 2021 and his relevance will return

26 minutes ago, Haan said:

Aye agree with this, plus all it will take is one or two big features and a new album at the end of 2021 and his relevance will return

If Kendrick doesn't come back it won't be because of any diminished status, more likely the opposite. Next album makes him a bona fide megastar and his already large price goes up beyond what the festival can afford.

22 hours ago, sisco said:

Blur

Macca

Taylor

I hope you’re right. Blur have kind of become my dream act for post-COVID first headliner. I think there are better bands on the whole, but few who would be able to generate quite such an atmosphere of togetherness, familiarity, poignancy and energy. 

I’d swap Macca for Reggie on the Saturday, but that’s just a personal preference (and unlikely, imo). 

Taylor would absolutely smash the Sunday, if her set list consisted of mainly hits and a few specials for the hardcore fans.  

Edited by kalifire

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Of course. The whole soap opera has been a core part of their persona for decades. No band trades in and thrives on drama as much as they do.

If Buck is indeed back then get them the fuck booked.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Just now, jannybruck said:

I always thought the issue with Fleetwood Mac was that Glastonbury's fees aren't big enough (and they've never seemed particularly bothered about doing festivals). They'd only ever do it if they could do a megabucks BST or Wembley Stadium on the same run.

Seems the stance has softened a little. Pre-COVID both the band and the festival were openly flirting with each other and there’s reason to think there may have been an informal “next time we tour we’ll talk” kind of arrangement.

Whether that’s still in place post-COVID is another question.

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

I always thought the issue with Fleetwood Mac was that Glastonbury's fees aren't big enough (and they've never seemed particularly bothered about doing festivals). They'd only ever do it if they could do a megabucks BST or Wembley Stadium on the same run.

Why should Glasto bother. Saw Fleetwood at Werchter Boutique in 2019 and it wasn't good at all. Stevie's and especially Christine's singing is awful nowadays and the band lacks any power. A lot of bits were more endearing rather than good. 

The music is immortal, the band sadly isn't. 

18 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Why should Glasto bother. Saw Fleetwood at Werchter Boutique in 2019 and it wasn't good at all. Stevie's and especially Christine's singing is awful nowadays and the band lacks any power. A lot of bits were more endearing rather than good. 

The music is immortal, the band sadly isn't. 

I thought Stevie’s voice was still in great nick (no pun intended) when I saw them at Wembley in 2019.

On 2/28/2021 at 3:44 PM, sisco said:

Blur

Macca

Taylor

I don't think you could get 3 bigger really and I'm not sure much would take me away any night. Macca one last time, Taylor I'd never pay to see on her own and as said with Blur, there aren't many bands that could have the whole post covid moment like them.

10 minutes ago, chemica said:

I think the fact Thom Yorke’s shelved his Modern Boxes’ dates, that the Radiohead machine will be turning by next summer...

Yes, indeed. Radiohead were in fact planning to tour this year, before the pandemic started. (Roadtest for new material?)

https://www.nme.com/news/music/radiohead-were-planning-to-tour-in-2021-before-coronavirus-outbreak-2654013

Edited by lighthouse

12 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Yes, indeed. Radiohead were in fact planning to tour this year, before the pandemic started. (Roadtest for new material?)

https://www.nme.com/news/music/radiohead-were-planning-to-tour-in-2021-before-coronavirus-outbreak-2654013

One to keep an eye on. Not in the context of Glastonbury, but just because you can never have too many Radiohead gigs.

To be honest I’d be totally over the moon if Radiohead headlined again next year. Don’t see it happening for all the obvious reasons (year after maybe though if 2022 is to road test new material) but I wouldn’t be complaining!

Need some news from the Blur camp really. They’re probably the only act that would improve the 2020 trio for me.

I’m very much still in the camp that Radiohead won’t play Glastonbury again for a while now. I’m tempted to say ‘ever again’ there but I’m sure if they’re still going in another ten years then they’ll give it another go, but who knows with them? The type of band who could easily disband any day now or equally continue together until one of them dies.

But I’ll be going to whatever shows they do announce whenever they’re announced for that exact reason. Spent too much of my life not going to see Radiohead live - it’s time to change that.