Petition: help touring musicians in Europe

CaledonianGonzo

Update from Tim Brennan who started this petition - 

Visa Petition.
I’ve just had a telephone meeting with the Petitions Committee Clerk at Westminster. We are getting somewhere. I can inform you that the petition will definitely be debated in Parliament. It’s attracted a lot of interest amongst MPs and in the media. The Petitions Committee will be making an announcement in the coming days; maybe as early as tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Quark said:

The biggest issue is the limits it puts on us exporting that musical talent.

You're right, it is world renowned.  So why the hell would we make it harder to get it out there to a global market?

Not so fussed on the exportation. In fact, the less British artists play abroad in the summer, the more chance they'll play at our favourite festivals. In a few years there will be a new system in place, with less red tape (which is the fault of the EU) allowing artists from abroad to easily play here again, but these things do not happen overnight. With this seasons festivals almost certainly set to be cancelled, I wouldn't worry to much anyway, it might even be sorted in time for next year. 

Besides, this has often been an issue at festivals such as Boomtown. Its not unusual for a big reggae/Jamaican act to not show up because they have been stopped at the border, due to their criminal records or simply not bothering to get a proper visa. To bad for them and us really, but id rather we kept criminals and people who think they are above the laws (visa) of the land out of the country in general. 

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Update from Tim Brennan who started this petition - 

Visa Petition.
I’ve just had a telephone meeting with the Petitions Committee Clerk at Westminster. We are getting somewhere. I can inform you that the petition will definitely be debated in Parliament. It’s attracted a lot of interest amongst MPs and in the media. The Petitions Committee will be making an announcement in the coming days; maybe as early as tomorrow.

erm ... care to say how many of these petitions have actually been followed through on by govt?

Having the debate is just about meaningless, particularly when again today the govt have made clear they won't be changing anything.

3 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

No idea, just posting a message on as it was relevant to the thread.

it was more a rhetorical question than one I was wanting an answer for.

Part of what you posted said....

14 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

We are getting somewhere. I can inform you that the petition will definitely be debated in Parliament.

... so I was pointing out that these petitions almost always go nowhere, and they're just sop to the public by govt.

Edited by eFestivals

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

erm ... care to say how many of these petitions have actually been followed through on by govt?

Having the debate is just about meaningless, particularly when again today the govt have made clear they won't be changing anything.

It's not common, but it has happened a few times. Finn's Law being the on that comes to mind immediately.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

It's not common, but it has happened a few times. Finn's Law being the on that comes to mind immediately.

lol, anything for animals, particularly if it helps polish the law and order badge.

Fuck all for real people, particularly if it goes against already-stated and restated govt policy.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, Bad Man MC said:

Not so fussed on the exportation. In fact, the less British artists play abroad in the summer, the more chance they'll play at our favourite festivals. In a few years there will be a new system in place, with less red tape (which is the fault of the EU) allowing artists from abroad to easily play here again, but these things do not happen overnight. With this seasons festivals almost certainly set to be cancelled, I wouldn't worry to much anyway, it might even be sorted in time for next year. 

Besides, this has often been an issue at festivals such as Boomtown. Its not unusual for a big reggae/Jamaican act to not show up because they have been stopped at the border, due to their criminal records or simply not bothering to get a proper visa. To bad for them and us really, but id rather we kept criminals and people who think they are above the laws (visa) of the land out of the country in general. 

OK, so you aren't fussed about the economic impact or the music, it's pretty much a case of knocking the EU for red tape (which we already know isn't the case) and keeping our borders safe from those marauding foreigners.

Jolly good. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Bad Man MC said:

Did you get lost looking for the Brexit festival forum?

Oliver Dowden, the culture secretary, told industry leaders that the government would help to pay for work permits and transport costs imposed because of rules that came into effect at the start of the year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/minister-changes-tune-over-brexit-help-for-musicians-7b32q3vdt

(paywall)

I haven't read the full article because of the paywall, but that sounds like it's going to be similar to what they've done for fish - a limited pot of money and limited help, to help get used to the new normal of brexit.

14 hours ago, Matti Rouse said:

The thing is that the Europeans pay well - the British don't. This has never really been a two way relationship...

I'm pretty sure it's the other way round, UK festivals generally pay more to acts than Europeans ones, largely because there's more competition in the UK and less in the induvial countries of Europe. It's also why European festivals are generally cheaper too.

7 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Out of curiosity, how does it work in the EU for non-British non-EU musicians?   By this I mean, for example, American musicians on tour etc. 

there's a 3 month exemption on the need for a working visa, by mutual agreement with that country (certainly the USA, and plenty of others too).

The same deal was offered to the UK. The UK refused it.

The UK refused it because it's a version of free movement of workers.

• 2 weeks later...

British-based haulage firms that transport bands around Europe, often for months at a time, say they will be unable to operate under new rules limiting their movements. Under the terms of the Brexit deal, hauliers are limited to two moves of equipment within Europe and then must return home within seven days. Also complicating matters is export paperwork now required to move hired equipment into the EU, even though it will return to Britain.