2021 New Music

dentalplan

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

May check out some of this indie rock that the kids are into and give Wolf Alice a spin.

And by kids of course I mean people for whom childhood is a long distant memory, along with most of their hair.

I don't know if this is interesting, sad, both or neither, but I'm way more into new music now than I ever was when I was young enough to actually be a part of it.

I was a strange young man, in hindsight.

Having a listen to it now and loving it so far. I’ve always been a big fan, have their first ep and album on signed vinyl, but felt like their momentum had stalled a bit. They’re back big time now and kudos to them! I still think they’ll struggle to get the uplift needed to headline the pointy one, but I reckon they’re firmly at Other headline level personally

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

I don't know if this is interesting, sad, both or neither, but I'm way more into new music now than I ever was when I was young enough to actually be a part of it.

Yep youth is wasted on the young as they say.

1 hour ago, EssexIndie said:

Don't mind it personally. Don't get me wrong, not the strongest song on the album by any stretch but its a nice change up in tempo and style from the other songs around it. 

I loved that track. They do that almost hardcore punk style well and clearly love it. Broke up the album well and nice to see them retaining that element. It’ll also help their love shows to have that shift in gear.

Overall I’m incredibly impressed with the record. No duff spots at all and consistently top quality stuff. Easily their most solid album and a huge step forward. Chuffed for them!

2 hours ago, northernringo said:

Really enjoying the Wolf Alice album this morning, pity they didn't include Belfast on their tour dates.

Yeah it is a pity - Belfast being left out is all too common.  Got tickets for the Dublin show which is a bit of a pain, but after hearing the new album, it will hopefully be worth it

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Quark said:

But if music is new to you does it matter if it was released this morning or 40 years ago?

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But if music is new to you does it matter if it was released this morning or 40 years ago?

In itself not at all, I'm happy to continue discovering new stuff one or way or t'other.  Just makes me chuckle / wistful that it's a part of youth that I missed out on at the time 😄

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not at all I'm constantly discovering things recorded yesterday and decades ago with the same enthusiasm although I never want to turn into one of those people who says they don't make good music anymore. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My mum has just delivered over several large cardboard boxes of cassettes dating back to the mid 1980s that havent seen the outside of her attic in many a moon - which is arguably a greater sign of a wasted youth and a misspent fortune.

Ooh nice.  If you end up with any that you don't want and you're at a loose end to do stuff with, DM me.  I know someone after all things cassette.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Ooh nice.  If you end up with any that you don't want and you're at a loose end to do stuff with, DM me.  I know someone after all things cassette.

Even in their heyday, convenience aside, they were a terrible format.

Admittedly except for a copy I had of Exile On Main St. which is far superior to any CD or expensive reissue of it that I've ever owned.

26 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My mum has just delivered over several large cardboard boxes of cassettes dating back to the mid 1980s that havent seen the outside of her attic in many a moon - which is arguably a greater sign of a wasted youth and a misspent fortune.

Any photos of the highlights much appreciated.

But yes, terrible sounding format that only had portability going for it. The cassette revival is baffling.

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They might have been but for the longest time they were what I listened to all music on. I remember spending a lot of money on cassette singles because I couldn't afford albums from my pocket money!

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Any photos of the highlights much appreciated.

Already in the garage. My wife already thinks the ceilings are cracking due to the weight of all the boxes of unplayed CDs in our attic.

It's a cert that the first album I ever bought with my own money is in there though 

R-12164702-1529601752-7450.jpeg.jpg

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Already in the garage. My wife already thinks the ceilings are cracking due to the weight of all the boxes of unplayed CDs in our attic.

It's a cert that the first album I ever bought with my own money is in there though 

Probably not one for this thread but “First album you bought with your own money” should really be done at some point.

Got a feeling mine is either Morning Glory or one of the Shine indie compilation albums that were popular in the mid 90’s.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And it doesn't get much better than this either.