2021 New Music

dentalplan

True story; until yesterday I'd ignored everything to do with BCNR as I had gotten them confused with Rex Orange County. 

Was only when I saw so many people bigging up the release I checked properly. Have it on the listen list for this afternoon.

12 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

True story; until yesterday I'd ignored everything to do with BCNR as I had gotten them confused with Rex Orange County. 

Was only when I saw so many people bigging up the release I checked properly. Have it on the listen list for this afternoon.

Haha that’s awesome.  Will be very interested to hear your thoughts on it!

21 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

As expected no new direction for Foo Fighters; still sounding like an AC/DC shandy but still does what it tries to do. Even more material to add to their 'all night long' 2 1/2 hour setlists.

Yep, middle of the road/vanilla/bland take your pick. Not good or bad either way. A sold 6 out of 10. 

Annoying as I think they do still have one more ‘Wasting Light’ album in them, but don’t think we’ll ever get to see it. 

The Weather Station album is fantastic. Enjoyed some of her previous stuff but never been particularly blown away, but this new’un has turned things up a notch. 

Hayley Williams clearly heard folklore and/or evermore and thought ‘I want a piece of this’. Pretty good and has its standout moments, although not as gripping as either of Taylor’s stripped back lockdown albums. 

4 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Thoughts on BCNR everyone?

Initial reaction on having one full listen is that I love it - which wasn’t exactly a shock. 

Instrumental is good as expected.

I prefer the album version of Athens, France to the original actually. Don’t think I can articulate why yet but I do! 

Definitely prefer the original sunglasses. I prefer Issac’s delivery in the original - this version seems muted in comparison. However, I don’t really get why people care so much about that - it’s not like the original version has disappeared!? Lyric changes in both songs aren’t a problem for me.

Science Fair could be my favourite now. Absolutely adore the ending. Track X is also great and a nice change of pace. Love the vocal harmonies that come in towards the middle. 

Opus is incredible as well. That main guitar riff is so enthralling! I wish it came back again near the end but that’s a minor complaint. I remember that being the highlight of their set when I saw them. 

Overall, it’s as good as I had hoped. The “shock” factor is obviously minimal given that I had heard every song before (some multiple times) but that’s a reflection of the album’s rollout rather than the songs themselves (which are all excellent). 

Can’t wait to see what this band does next. Will be amazed if it’s not my AOTY. 

Opus is completely brilliant. Has put a smile of my face each time I’ve listened.

It’s also the first song I’ve been able to add to my new “banging soundtrack to my bar mitzvah afterparty” playlist 😉

Have listened to the BCNR album a couple of times now and I love it... was thinking it was a bit lazy to only include 6 songs but they pack a hell of alot into those 6 songs and I seem to pick up something new with each listen.

Also just finished listening to TV Priest and it mostly seems a bit 'meh'... might try it again a bit later when Peppa Pigs not on in the background though as that may be clouding my judgement a bit.

52 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Really enjoyed The Weather Station’s album as well. They’re new to me. That first track (“Robber”) is amazing.  

Has a Titanic Rising feel to it. Gorgeous musical arrangements behind her vocals. 

Yeah I hadn’t of The Weather Station until I heard Robber when it was released last year but it’s a brilliant song, massive Talk Talk vibes which is always a good thing. Really enjoying the album too. 

I’m quite enjoying The Staves new album too. I’ve always found them a bit bland in the past but the bigger sound works well for them, was a very nice early morning listen. 

I like the Black Country, New Road album on first listen but it seems like an album better suited to later on, a lot of it passed me by as I’ve got it on while working. Overall another good Friday.

Not sure if there are any Phoebe Bridgers fans here...but Skullcrusher released a new single this week called Song for Nick Drake.

Skullcrusher - aka Helen Ballantine - is a very talented singer songwriter. Her eponymous EP from last year reminded me a lot of Stranger in the Alps and the new single has a similar style. Worth checking out!

3 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Not sure if there are any Phoebe Bridgers fans here...but Skullcrusher released a new single this week called Song for Nick Drake.

Skullcrusher - aka Helen Ballantine - is a very talented singer songwriter. Her eponymous EP from last year reminded me a lot of Stranger in the Alps and the new single has a similar style. Worth checking out!

One or two....

5 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Thoughts on BCNR everyone?

Initial reaction on having one full listen is that I love it - which wasn’t exactly a shock. 

Instrumental is good as expected.

I prefer the album version of Athens, France to the original actually. Don’t think I can articulate why yet but I do! 

Definitely prefer the original sunglasses. I prefer Issac’s delivery in the original - this version seems muted in comparison. However, I don’t really get why people care so much about that - it’s not like the original version has disappeared!? Lyric changes in both songs aren’t a problem for me.

Science Fair could be my favourite now. Absolutely adore the ending. Track X is also great and a nice change of pace. Love the vocal harmonies that come in towards the middle. 

Opus is incredible as well. That main guitar riff is so enthralling! I wish it came back again near the end but that’s a minor complaint. I remember that being the highlight of their set when I saw them. 

Overall, it’s as good as I had hoped. The “shock” factor is obviously minimal given that I had heard every song before (some multiple times) but that’s a reflection of the album’s rollout rather than the songs themselves (which are all excellent). 

Can’t wait to see what this band does next. Will be amazed if it’s not my AOTY. 

Exceeded expectations which is always good! Sunglasses and Opus the clear highlights for me. I was a bit concerned that only having 6 songs that the album would get quite drawn out and dull - but in fact it was the opposite. Every song gives you something different and keeps you gripped. Moving onto TV Priest now but looking forward to revisiting again very soon

4 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Haha that’s awesome.  Will be very interested to hear your thoughts on it!

Bit of a weird one tbh.

The Instrumental opener wasn't really for me, but it was what it was, however I also didn't particularly dig the next two tracks either. But, weirdly, loved everything from Sunglasses onwards. Will give it another listen over the weekend and skip the Instrumental, maybe ignoring that will make me see the next two tracks in a better light

26 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Bit of a weird one tbh.

The Instrumental opener wasn't really for me, but it was what it was, however I also didn't particularly dig the next two tracks either. But, weirdly, loved everything from Sunglasses onwards. Will give it another listen over the weekend and skip the Instrumental, maybe ignoring that will make me see the next two tracks in a better light

Cool!  Good to hear you enjoyed some parts of it at least!  

I’d consider instrumental to be more of an intro into the album rather than a key component.

Athens France and Science Fair are perhaps less immediately satisfying then the other three so I’m not surprised that those didn’t take on first listen. Athens France has grown on me a lot ever since it was first released.  I think the build up, climax and breakdown of Science Fair is the most satisfying part of the album. It’s an incredible moment live as well. 

I really loved BC,NR's album, more than I thought I would. Considering I had Sunglasses as my song of the year in 2019 I wasn't that buzzing for an album that was a quarter taken up by it ahah. I saw them like 4 times in as many months as well so pretty familiar with the other songs that weren't released but yeah it all sounds great recorded and will no doubt get countless more plays.

I liked the Silicone Prairie album as well, love a bit of arty shit.

Had the Crumpets album on repeat basically since then as I've had a deadline today and it fuckin rawks. As Nal said just proper fun. 

My Blink 182 self titled record arrived this afternoon so I've got that on now to take me into the evening coz I don't play by your rules.