2021 New Music

dentalplan

Can't believe I haven't got to STDG yet! Need to sort that out sharpish!

This isn't technically new as it came out in August, but saw these supporting Red Rum Club last night and they're really good. Bit of dreamy indie psych pop stuff for your ears.

Black Country, New Road are announcing/releasing something at 3pm tomorrow. Not 100% certain that it’s gonna be new material, but considering they’ve already talked about having their new album all done and dusted, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a new album announcement and/or new song.

On 10/9/2021 at 1:32 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

The Magdalena Bay album is amazing. Synth pop perfection. Jessie Ware meets Grimes meets Kero Kero Bonito. 

Great recommendation - absolutely love this.  Flows really well - "Something for 2" into "Chaeri" is fantastic

2 hours ago, circus92 said:

Great recommendation - absolutely love this.  Flows really well - "Something for 2" into "Chaeri" is fantastic

Yes the transitions are amazing and that’s my favourite!  The last song flows directly into the first song again as well so no need to listen to anything else basically.

Think it’ll end up being my AOTY.  

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Black Country, New Road are announcing/releasing something at 3pm tomorrow. Not 100% certain that it’s gonna be new material, but considering they’ve already talked about having their new album all done and dusted, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a new album announcement and/or new song.

Basketball Shoes perhaps??  

On 10/8/2021 at 10:51 AM, st dan said:

The new Shannon Lay album is a lovely listen on a sunny autumn morning. Beautiful album. Will be getting a lot of listens from me I think. 

This is indeed wonderful. Intimate yet lush folk. Made with members of Sharon Van Etten's and Bonnie Prince Billy's bands, and a cheeky guest guitar solo from Ty Segall himself. 

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Listened to the album for the first time in ages yesterday and decided these would be a much better band with no vocals. Part of Sunglasses were the only times I felt they actually benefited the song.

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

New album Ants From Up There out February 4.

These beautiful boys and girls just don't miss, and this looks to be one of the weaker songs on the album if anything. I wouldn't have picked this as the lead single to be honest. They've already scooped up my AOTY this year, and if the tracks on the new one are anything like the bootlegs of live versions I've been listening to on repeat, it's got the biggest shot at AOTY next year as well. Some of the new tracks remind me of Arcade Fire in the best way possible, and wouldn't look out of place on Funeral.

They've got some great stuff coming, and Basketball Shoes is going to be their answer to Slint's, Good Morning, Captain. I think they're amazing, they were my first gig back and I've got tickets to seem them twice in December and might have to look at that Albert Hall date in April. I've pre ordered the signed record, even though I don't have a record player. I feel like it's going to be a classic, and a defining record in my life. Exciting times.

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit late on that James Blake one. Sounds a bit mopey and one-note to me, but that's why I love his other music so who knows why it isn't clicking.

I think the rest of his work involves lyrics that are quite simplistic and repetitive, but they're treated as something to add to the sad/ isolated tone of his records. The Wilhelm Scream is repetitive, but it creates atmosphere. On the new record the songs are way too on the nose and confrontational and I don't think he's really developed since Assume Form.

2 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I'm a bit late on that James Blake one. Sounds a bit mopey and one-note to me, but that's why I love his other music so who knows why it isn't clicking.

I think the rest of his work involves lyrics that are quite simplistic and repetitive, but they're treated as something to add to the sad/ isolated tone of his records. The Wilhelm Scream is repetitive, but it creates atmosphere. On the new record the songs are way too on the nose and confrontational and I don't think he's really developed since Assume Form.

I'm sad to say I agree. Only given it one listen so far but it felt like it was trudging along for me, will no doubt give it another crack at some point.