2021 New Music

dentalplan

For the 25th anniversary of the Black Album Metallica are releasing a massive covers album featuring multiple covers of each song by multiple artists. First song released is Miley Cyrus covering Nothing Else Matters and featuring WATT, Elton John, Yo-Yo Ma, Robert Trujillo and Chad Smith:

Full tracklist is here:

https://consequence.net/2021/06/metallica-blacklist-covers/

Some uhh.. interesting stuff there, that’s for sure. 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Easy argument to be made that the first four albums are better, if thrash is more of your thing. Think anybody would struggle to argue that anything post-Black is better though. 

I have an ongoing discussion with someone at work over the quality of Justice.  He thinks it's their best work, I think it's overly long, complex nonsense.

Puppets and Lightning definitely better.

Kill depends on where you stand on the raw sound and production of debut albums I think. It's not one that ever truly grabbed me personally.

Metallica came out when I was getting into music so I'll always have a soft spot for it as an album, but it's also arguable that's when they got over-polished.

Bizarrely I also have a soft spot for Load, despite it being a bit pony. And Reload has some good tracks, always think Prince Charming is underrated. But yeah, hard to pitch anything post-91 as being better.

I'd prob rank it 3rd behind Puppets and Lightning

3 hours ago, Quark said:

I have an ongoing discussion with someone at work over the quality of Justice.  He thinks it's their best work, I think it's overly long, complex nonsense.

Puppets and Lightning definitely better.

Kill depends on where you stand on the raw sound and production of debut albums I think. It's not one that ever truly grabbed me personally.

Metallica came out when I was getting into music so I'll always have a soft spot for it as an album, but it's also arguable that's when they got over-polished.

Bizarrely I also have a soft spot for Load, despite it being a bit pony. And Reload has some good tracks, always think Prince Charming is underrated. But yeah, hard to pitch anything post-91 as being better.

I'd prob rank it 3rd behind Puppets and Lightning

Load is a banger. 

Justice is one of the most ambitious "heavy" albums ever by a big band. And it sounds mean on the new remastered vinyl. Granny scaring mean. 

Puppets and Lightning speak for themselves. Kill Em All is a standard. Like Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Song Book or Happy Birthday.

Black Album has 3 or 4 really good tunes and a load of bloated Bob Rock filler. 

55 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

New album November 12:

What a sanctimonious c**t

Edited by The Nal

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Easy argument to be made that the first four albums are better, if thrash is more of your thing. Think anybody would struggle to argue that anything post-Black is better though. 

I actually really like Hardwired to the point it's very close to being my favourite Metallica album. It's surprising to myself as it came at a point I was just sick of them going to every festival I went to and the previous two albums did nothing for me.

6 minutes ago, jump said:

I actually really like Hardwired to the point it's very close to being my favourite Metallica album. It's surprising to myself as it came at a point I was just sick of them going to every festival I went to and the previous two albums did nothing for me.

I think if they’d stripped it back to a single maybe 8 song album then it could’ve easily been up there, but as it is there are just too many filler tracks on the second disc that hold it back for me.

I actually went back to Hardwired this afternoon in the gym. Agree it could do with a bit of a trim but it comes out of the blocks like a bastard.

I did give Justice another go last year as my mate was so insistent on it. Ambitious it may be, but just fell wide of the mark. Just dull by the end.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Edit: posted that second one before even watching. Didn’t realise it was just some weird skit rather than another song 😅

Wasn't gonna listen after finding out the albums out on Friday but gave in earlier today after seeing it so many times, a bit buzzin for the rest of it