2021 New Music

dentalplan

The reviews for Blue Weekend are amazing - 97 on metascore. I won't listen to it until I take delivery of the vinyl.

I've been following them since the first album and watching their ascent has been very gratifying. So glad I went for the pre-order and also got tickets for their Bristol show. Surely after this tour they won't be doing academy/theatre sized venues any more.

For the record, they passed the "Mum test" at home. My mum had heard of them and we had them on the TV as part of BBC Big Weekend. Mum is not into anything especially heavy but her verdict was "some good melodies, and she's got a very nice voice". 

Couple of listens to Blue Weekend and have to agree with what’s already been said on here. Was also worried they had left it too long after 2nd album but this has to put them up with the best current British bands. Love the flow of the album, think my favourite tune will depends on the mood I’m in but some strong contenders. Thought it was good having lead single near the end too, so many albums are front loaded with singles with the risk of losing interest for the more unfamiliar stuff later on. Although there wasn’t any risk of losing interest with this one. 10/10

20 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I put this in the vinyl thread but the Wolf Alice album is available personally signed from Banquet.

https://www.banquetrecords.com/wolf-alice/blue-weekend-[personally-signed]/DH1061PSPS

I already have the vinyl coming from blood records , unsure I can justify 2 copies of the same album but I really am thinking about it

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It still suffers some of the pitfalls of previous Wolf Alice albums in that they have strong moments, weak moments and some bizarre diversions, but the high points are even higher on this record so I am pleased.

Just finished my first listen and would agree with this. Very much still a "Wolf Alice album" at it's core, but done better than its predecessors

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It still suffers some of the pitfalls of previous Wolf Alice albums in that they have strong moments, weak moments and some bizarre diversions, but the high points are even higher on this record so I am pleased.

This is the review I have been waiting for 

Just now, Quark said:

Aside from Wolf Alice and Japanese Breakfast, what else is on the radar today?

I've got Greentea Peng, James and Crowded House, anything else to look out for?

I've got Joy Oladukun and Liz Phair as well (Liz Phair is supporting Alanis Morrisette and I am reliving my youth by going so thought I might as well give the support a listen. On first listen sounded alright. 

• Upvote 1

Blue Weekend is absolutely sensational, it's so versatile and every song has its own stand out moment, I'm also tempted to say Last Man on the Earth is my favourite song of the year so far. I'm due to see them at Latitude and on their January tour in Norwich and I can't wait to see how they play it live

37 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I rolled my eyes 360 degrees when it dawned that they’d placed another Yuk Foo turd in the centre of the album.

Don't mind it personally. Don't get me wrong, not the strongest song on the album by any stretch but its a nice change up in tempo and style from the other songs around it. 

• Like 1

Never really won over by Wolf Alice, new ones alright but so are the rest of them. 

Been hammering the Fucking Whatever EP this morning. Not groundbreaking and most of it was already out before today but worth a go if you're curious what it sounds like when the vocalists of Taking Back Sunday and a couple of their friends try and make a psychedelic boy band.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, priest17 said:

you've missed some bangers I can assure you

tumblr_mngw988hjZ1rn85vzo1_400.gifv

16 minutes ago, priest17 said:

was wondering if they'd let the Wooze guitarist and bassist take their masks off now in a fun ironic pandemic twist but they're still rocking them. Still rocking in general really 

The raincoats are off. They clearly trust the British summer more than I do.

Japanese Breakfast is terrific. Just got through it at the second attempt (started it after Wolf Alice earlier but kept getting distracted with work emails so put it off after two tracks). Glad I did, wasn't really feeling it at the time but was almost certainly down to not being fully tuned in. It's really great.