2021 New Music

dentalplan

2 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

https://www.nme.com/reviews/album/wolf-alice-blue-weekend-review-2951468

5 stars for the new Walice. Get 'em topping the Other 

I put this in the vinyl thread but the Wolf Alice album is available personally signed from Banquet.

https://www.banquetrecords.com/wolf-alice/blue-weekend-[personally-signed]/DH1061PSPS

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

https://www.nme.com/reviews/album/wolf-alice-blue-weekend-review-2951468

5 stars for the new Walice. Get 'em topping the Other 

I don't really trust the NME when it comes to reviewing anything under Dirty Hit. I reckon they pay for favourable reviews as they get the album early, especially after The 1975 have gone from winning NME's worst band award, to getting a five star review from their last album that was a fairly mixed bag with some clear weaker tracks. As well as them giving Beabadoobee and Pale Waves very positive reviews compared to other publications. 

However, the new Wolf Alice one seems to be getting consistent good scores from multiple places which is good to see. Should be good based on the review and singles, excited to listen to it tommorow. Would be good to see them headline other (as long as it isn't a clash!) and I've got a ticket to see them in Manchester on my birthday which I hope goes ahead.

The Guardian also gave it a five star review which is good to see: 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jun/03/wolf-alice-blue-weekend-review

A few new ones popping up on my twitter feed.

Afflecks Palace - bit of a Stone Roses-type sound, but a mixture of the sounds either side of the debut album. Bit early psych sound, bit of Second Coming's guitar grooves. Bucket hat alert.

Lime Garden  - new Brighton band, slightly melancholic guitar sound on this one. Bit like the most popularly named band on efests, Newdad.

8 hours ago, Hutchmaster said:

The Wolf Alice album is out and about for the impatient among us.

I won't say much now except that it is fucking excellent on first listen. Very much looking forward to giving it a spin on wax tomorrow.

Well so was I until it transpired that Rough Trade have not yet sent my copy out, despite me ordering it 3 months ago! That's the last three albums I have ordered from them that have been late & still not arrived, so Rough Trade can now get tae fuck - they're not getting any more money out of me!!!!

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

Well so was I until it transpired that Rough Trade have not yet sent my copy out, despite me ordering it 3 months ago! That's the last three albums I have ordered from them that have been late & still not arrived, so Rough Trade can now get tae fuck - they're not getting any more money out of me!!!!

Yeah I'm a bit worried now, ordered directly from the WA store but dawned on me I've not yet had a dispatch email; I wonder if they'll come next week as that was the original release date?

43 minutes ago, Hutchmaster said:

Yeah I'm a bit worried now, ordered directly from the WA store but dawned on me I've not yet had a dispatch email; I wonder if they'll come next week as that was the original release date?

Just checked the rough trade website & it's still saying the release date is tomorrow. It's a piss poor state of affairs when someone can walk into a shop & get a copy before someone who ordered it 3 months ago!

I had high hopes for this based on the early singles, then their incredible Live at Worthy Farm set, then the consistently top notch reviews.  Started listening at midnight thinking it cannot really live up to all that hype, but boy was I wrong - absolutely epic album.  I have always been a big fan, but they have taken things up another level or two now.  Absolutely buzzing after first listen - don’t think I have listened to an album that has had that impact for quite a while.

They need to be headlining The Other Stage next year

Edited by circus92

Back again talking to myself 🤣

I couldn’t go to sleep after first listen so gave it a second spin.  I am speechless at how good this album is.  As an album it just works brilliantly and the ending is perfect.  Emotional, euphoric, spine tingling, great riffs, amazing voice - I could go on. They have absolutely nailed it.

Well shit, this Wolf Alice album is pretty great. Stripped back for the most part but all sounds so lush. Thought the longer time between albums might’ve fucked them commercially, but if there’s any justice then this should really cement them at the top of the British music scene. Wish I’d gotten tickets to their Liverpool show now.

27 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yep Wolf Alice was superb wasn’t it. Straight on to the new Japanese Breakfast new one, and that is matching it I would say. Going to be playing these two on repeat for a while I think!

Couldn’t agree more on the Japanese Breakfast album; also completely hitting the spot for me this morning! Was a little so-so on the singles initially but they sound so much better in the context of the album. 

8 minutes ago, Hutchmaster said:

Feeling Myself has jumped up to an instant top 5 Wolf Alice song for me.

Agreed.  I'm struggling to pick a favourite, but if I had to, that would be it.  Epic Track - can't wait to hear it live

6 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Agreed.  I'm struggling to pick a favourite, but if I had to, that would be it.  Epic Track - can't wait to hear it live

I liked the one that sounded like Popscene (although might be their Turtleneck as arguably doesn’t fit the flow of the album?)

New Blood Red Shoes single: