2021 New Music

dentalplan

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Fucked Up released the final part of their new album Year of the Horse today and it features Julien Baker heavily and it absolutely rips. This whole new album has been my favourite thing they’ve done in years, and they’ve always been pretty consistently great anyway. Just four 20-25 minute long genre-bending hardcore punk bangers:

https://fuckedup.bandcamp.com

Shit, I didn’t realise it was out. I’ve just bought it.

Listened to Van Weezer a couple more times and it’s gone up quite a bit in my estimations. Catchy as fuck and minimal cringe, which is especially surprising considering the general concept. Even the pre-release singles which I thought were a little naff initially sound fun as hell here.

That’s 2/2 for Weezer’s latest albums, and in a single year! Guess we can expect the next one to feature a hearty dose of EDM and guest features from all the ‘Lil’ rappers to even things out a bit.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Listened to Van Weezer a couple more times and it’s gone up quite a bit in my estimations. Catchy as fuck and minimal cringe, which is especially surprising considering the general concept. Even the pre-release singles which I thought were a little naff initially sound fun as hell here.

Just given it a listen. When I heard the concept for the album it sounded like some sort of grotesque self parody…

However got to admit I quite enjoyed it! I think? Needs another listen to make sense of it I reckon 🤔

Not really a new music recommendation but reading this thread made me think of it!! Anyone else missing tht feeling of hearing something playing and thinking ooh tht sounds good i need to hear some more and then discovering a really good band or singer! 
Cant wait for it to return in reality, this thread sort of does the same maybe!! 

It's a fun set piece. The songs are kinda bad but marrying up their corny teenage love song shtick with hair metal riffs (in a more blatant way than they were already doing) is an enjoyable half hour, even if the songs themselves don't leave much of an impression.

I'm really impressed by this batch of new bands, I'm liking all I hear so far.

I love the Black Country, New Road album and am seeing them soon, Squid are wild and challenging but welcome nonetheless and trying hard to get a ticket to see them, Dry Cleaning also seeing, and yeah Iceage sound good too.

Hope they're all at Glastonbury, which must be likely.

(Are Squid the new Fall? Or is it just me that hears The Fall in much of what they do?)

Edited by Avalon_Fields

16 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

This is good. Very good. Giving me more hope that the first single was just a bit of a dud and the rest is gonna hit:

Really liking that. Listened to it on with headphones and particularly liked the way they'd panned different parts of the song to different speakers.

1 hour ago, SheffJeff said:

Not sure who reccomended the Iceage album so not sure who to thank but it's fucking amazing. Best thing I've heard for ages so thanks someone.

It was @FloorFiller who mentioned the album first I think. And yeah, It's really amazing.

Best thing I've heard since Van Weezer. 

Edited by Henrik