2021 New Music

dentalplan

11 minutes ago, nikkic said:

It’s great, but the spoken word/interludes.....

Jeez!

Why are they there?

Annoying and detract from the album.

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

Agreed - seems like spoken word is very much the flavour of the month, and whilst it does have its place in the right context, it’s certainly not in the middle of a Coral album!

Might be a minority, but I like it!  Adds something for me, review in the Grauniad mentioned Ogden's Nut Gone Flake as an influence and you can definitely hear that in it.

Although I’m aware they’ve been churning out apparently good-great albums all this time, to me The Coral have always just been the Dreaming of You/In the Morning guys, but decided to give this one a whirl and I’m liking it more than I thought I would. Really nice easy listening stuff.

And the spoken word bits don’t bother me too much. Short enough that I’d probably never bother to skip them, and serve a nice purpose in breaking up the album a bit.

Think this’ll be getting a fair few listens from me. Who’d’a thunk it ey?

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although I’m aware they’ve been churning out apparently good-great albums all this time, to me The Coral have always just been the Dreaming of You/In the Morning guys, but decided to give this one a whirl and I’m liking it more than I thought I would. Really nice easy listening stuff.

And the spoken word bits don’t bother me too much. Short enough that I’d probably never bother to skip them, and serve a nice purpose in breaking up the album a bit.

Think this’ll be getting a fair few listens from me. Who’d’a thunk it ey?

James Skelly from the band has also produced some of She Drew The Guns stuff. 

10 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Turns out the album's out even earlier, June 25th. 

Well this isn’t what I was expecting.; mega hooky and a pretty straightforward rock song. I don’t hate it, although honestly I don’t think I’d have known it was Modest Mouse if someone had played it to me.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

James Skelly from the band has also produced some of She Drew The Guns stuff. 

They've got a new track coming this week as well, first from the new album. Sounds like it's gonna be gooood

41 minutes ago, Quark said:

They've got a new track coming this week as well, first from the new album. Sounds like it's gonna be gooood

Yay great news! I've struggled to connect with many albums in April but singles from Little Simz and Self Esteem are possible tracks of the year for me and hopefully She Drew The Gun will keep up the good work. 

New track from Aussie band Eliza & The Delusionals.  Not quite as good as their EP last year for me, but still pretty good. Got quite an early 00s Avril vibe without being irritating.

Also that Little Simz track has just been on 6Music. Bloody hell it really is rather good.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Quark said:

New track from Aussie band Eliza & The Delusionals.  Not quite as good as their EP last year for me, but still pretty good. Got quite an early 00s Avril vibe without being irritating.

Also that Little Simz track has just been on 6Music. Bloody hell it really is rather good.

One of my favourite discoveries from 2020 but since gone off my radar so it’s good to hear they have new music out, totally agree with the Avril reference too! Good stuff 

On 3/11/2021 at 12:22 AM, dentalplan said:

Maybe you should all be listening to generational Swedish pop-Americana talent Sarah Klang.

Maybe you should all be listening to the new album 'Virgo' by generational Swedish pop-Americana talent Sarah Klang when it's released tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Maybe you should all be listening to the new album 'Virgo' by generational Swedish pop-Americana talent Sarah Klang when it's released tomorrow.

I've really enjoyed the songs you've posted so far but had no idea there was an album coming out tomorrow, that'll be a nice change of pace between Squid and Iceage. Keep the Klang updates coming!

• Like 1