2021 New Music

dentalplan

9 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Agreed. Though isn’t it just all the singles put together?

Think so, but it's good to have them collected and hear them hang together.

Not been much this month that's grabbed me, so getting my joy where I can!

Listening to For Those I Love at the moment after seeing all the love for it here. Had no idea what to expect going in other than a lot of people saying it's good.

So far it's a bit bloody good innit?  Not like anything I've heard before tbh, such an (initially) strange mashup of that musical style with the spoken word. 

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Listening to For Those I Love at the moment after seeing all the love for it here. Had no idea what to expect going in other than a lot of people saying it's good.

So far it's a bit bloody good innit?  Not like anything I've heard before tbh, such an (initially) strange mashup of that musical style with the spoken word. 

Aye. Just got around to this. Really enjoying it.

Maybe a more different musical style but reminds me of the LYR album with Simon Armitage

Just now, fred quimby said:

Aye. Just got around to this. Really enjoying it.

Maybe a more different musical style but reminds me of the LYR album with Simon Armitage

The further in I get I'm getting the Streets vibe from it, but (not having been a massive Streets listener) I don't think I remember Skinner using this kind of club-style music on his work?  Although I might be 100% wide of the mark there.

It's right in the feels though, whatever it is.

Pretty much got through everything from last Friday now. Obviously For Those I Love was incredible.

I really liked the DFA1979 one, great fun. Gonna be good marching around outside with it in my ears.

Loved the Tune-Yards one which I was expecting, I really liked the last one though. Effortlessly weird.

Genghis Tron album was good if you're into heavyish stuff over some solid drumming, haven't been back to it much yet but its made it to my 2021 albums playlist so I'll be back.

I'd never heard of Fomies but got recommended their Friday release and its great, FAO anyone into garage/fuzz.

Beyond those I checked out Ed Dowie's album was pretty sweet, might spin it later in the decent weather as it was a bit like a choir man doing soft Metronomy. Celestial Sanctuary who released their debut, I'm not mega into Heavier metal but like to dip my toe into new stuff here and there and enjoyed it. Tuns new one was alright, decent indie rock, all three of them bing lead vocalists works pretty well at points. Skegss was decent enough Aussie garage, others doing it better but it wasn't a bad listen.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Yes I'm not a Streets fan at all and I get the reference but there's something much more arresting about his vocal delivery than Mike Skinner. 

2 hours ago, Quark said:

The further in I get I'm getting the Streets vibe from it, but (not having been a massive Streets listener) I don't think I remember Skinner using this kind of club-style music on his work?  Although I might be 100% wide of the mark there.

It's right in the feels though, whatever it is.

it references The Streets on the track Top Scheme - "And I felt this way since Turn The Page, there's no walk away and they're still sensing what I say"

Turn the Page is the banger opener of Original Pirate Material and the the rest is the opening lyrics from it, so it's definitely an inspiration. 

It's hard to underestimate the impact that Original Pirate Material had on a lot of young guys who heard it when it came out

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

For Those I Love has totally floored me. An absolute masterpiece.

Finally got around to listening to it this morning after seeing it on the AOTM thread - the spoken word vocals are something that I didnt think I would click with, but this is easily one of my favourites of the year I think....

Also that Martin Garrix/Dua Lipa sample always catches me so off guard

Edited by Mattymooz

On 3/30/2021 at 1:39 AM, dentalplan said:

For Those I Love has totally floored me. An absolute masterpiece.

Yep. Absolutely. Hadn't even heard of it before I popped back on here yesterday, completely missed it. What a superb record. Worth a year's efests Gold subscription just to be turned on to this. Good work, team.

On 3/29/2021 at 3:19 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

a3004281152_16.jpg

Ace pop hip hop hybrid from Tel Aviv. Like a more sunny less aggro M.I.A.

Always been a lurker on this forum and get a lot of good recommendations from this thread.

Listened to this album yesterday evening in the sun and thought it was great! Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Always been a lurker on this forum and get a lot of good recommendations from this thread.

Listened to this album yesterday evening in the sun and thought it was great! Thank you!

I saw Paul Heaton recommend this to Tim Burgess the other day and gave it a listen and it's great really liked it.