2021 New Music

dentalplan

The Vaccines Cosy Karaoke vol 1 out today. Some really nice easy listening covers. Bit disappointed with KOL, I like stuff from across their whole back catalogue so I’m not one of those crying out for a repeat of album 1 but nothing that memorable although it was nice background music. Will give it a few more goes to see if anything sticks or grows

20 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

3lau (an electronic act) sold some nft copies of his 3 year old debut the other week and made $11.3 million the other day - I guarantee most people in this thread havent even heard of the guy and he was able to make bank... (though as I understand it, a lot of people were buying copies as it was either the first or one of the first nft albums so might become a bit of a collectible, but still)

That certainly demonstrates the idea that it might have potential legs if some of the kinks are worked out, such as being able to roll it out to a mass crowd or the stupidly high amounts of energy required to make it. Though yeah, it is true some may well have brought it for the novelty, as they might well do with this idea that Kings of Leon or some "KEEP CRYPTO WEIRD" type are releasing NFT LPs.

I'm not 100% sure I think it'll be a gamechanging way to get people to buy music en masse or just a momentary fad. But any cutting edge technology can have its weird phases trying to get people on board.

18 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I think they were set to be the first band to release one until a reactionary surprise release by this dude's band...

https://twitter.com/devonwelsh/status/1367249236971118592

...which seems kinda lame and gatekeeper-y. It's not like 'the first band to release album as NFT' would have been news if it was always some tiny act and not Kings of Leon. "Keep crypto weird" is a painfully dumb sequence of words.

I mean, it also doesn't stop Kings of Leon being the first major name to dip their toe into this musically for a big album release. Even if I'm aware "first name" and "first major name" isn't quite the same. And yeah. A lot of the culture around cryptocurrency is kinda offputting and that being such a sequence of words to say out loud is definitely something for the faithful that, to an outsider, just looks like someone trying to be cool.

8 hours ago, EssexIndie said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head there regarding KOL. It's just a bit 'meh' really - as a complete album I think it works better than their last few but there's nothing really on it that would make me want to go back to it. Good background music but wasn't drawn in at anytime. I know they are a different band now but their first 3 albums were so good, I'd love them to ditch the stadium/dad rock and go back to a more raw sound. 

The Bandit is a nice tune but none of the other advance singles grabbed my attention. Still yet to listen to it tbh. I think trying to replicate the sound of Youth and Young Manhood would kinda feel inauthentic now, but it is a curiosity that they seem kinda stuck on the sound they began experiments with on Because of the Times. Only by the Night gets a bad rep given Sex on Fire (which I think as just a fun throwaway) but as a whole I think that album is pretty good, yet Come Around Sundown is stuffed with filler and the 2 since have been up and down.

• Like 1

A week or so late with this but really enjoying Lost Horizons new one In Quiet Moments (which was released in two sections).

Some great guests including Penelope Isles, John Grant, Ren Harvieu and Porridge Radio. Classy stuff.

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/reviews/albums/lost-horizons-in-quiet-moments-album-review

Edited by Copperface

Blood Wizard debut album Western Spaghetti came out on Friday.

Not sure who to compare him to but this review might explain it.

https://www.gigwise.com/reviews/3396675/album-review--blood-wizard---western-spaghetti

"A wonderful fresh sound: unique in many ways"

Edited by Copperface

20 hours ago, Copperface said:

Blood Wizard debut album Western Spaghetti came out on Friday.

Not sure who to compare him to but this review might explain it.

https://www.gigwise.com/reviews/3396675/album-review--blood-wizard---western-spaghetti

"A wonderful fresh sound: unique in many ways"

Completely forgot this was coming out, just ran through the album and really enjoyed it. I'm a big Kagoule fan so thought I'd like it but yeah good listen, the softer side works well with him.

Again a bit late by a small amount but finally got round to listening to and really enjoying Cheval Sombre's new one Time Waits For No One.

Think Amen Dunes crossed with Spiritualized.

The short montage at the end of this always brings on a little tear.

Review:

https://www.soniccathedral.co.uk/2021/01/14/chevalsombre1/

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

48 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

God this is hauntingly beautiful.

Love the bit about pushing her thumbs into the irises until they burst. 

Edited by Copperface

New song from Xenia Rubinos, still no word on a new album though.

It's dark and weird and raw. I might not have got past the first minute if I wasn't already a fan but the goodbye line hooked me in a bit more and by the time it finished I wanted to start it over again, fuckin haunting man ahah but beautiful. Well worth a go if you've been a fan of Nick Cave being sad over a synthesizer over the last few years.

Who Shot Ya was pretty different to this as well but similarly different to the other albums, sounds like she's dropped the percussive nature which is a shame but still very ready for more of her.