2021 New Music

dentalplan

27 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Their statement is good haha:

"we wrote it on the road mostly. when that was still a place.
and then recorded it in masks later, distanced at the beginning of the second wave. 
it was autumn, and the falling sun was impossibly fat and orange. 
we tried to summon a brighter reckoning there,
bent beneath varied states of discomfort, worry and wonderment. 

we fired up the shortwave radios again, for the first time in a long time.
and found that many things had changed. 
the apocalypse pastors were still there, but yelling END TIMES NOW where they once yelled "end times soon".
and the transmission-detritus of automated militaries takes up more bandwidth now,
so that a lot of frequencies are just pulses of rising white static,
digital codexes announcing the status of various watching and killing machines.
and the ham-radio dads talk to each other all night long.
about their dying wives and what they ate for lunch and what they'll do with their guns when antifa comes.

this record is about all of us waiting for the end. 
all current forms of governance are failed.
this record is about all of us waiting for the beginning, 
and is informed by the following demands=
empty the prisons
take power from the police and give it to the neighbourhoods that they terrorise.
end the forever wars and all other forms of imperialism.
tax the rich until they're impoverished.

much love to all the other lost and lovely ones,
these are death-times and our side has to win.
we'll see you on the road once the numbers fall."

Big Bowie - Fame vibes from that new St Vincent. 

Honestly, I kinda feel like that song and it’s style have been aped to death, so I’m not massive on this, but it’s still pretty good I guess, and I look forward to hearing where else she goes with this style.

Edited by FloorFiller

56 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Big Bowie - Fame vibes from that new St Vincent. 

Honestly, I kinda feel like that song and it’s style have been aped to death, so I’m not massive on this, but it’s still pretty good I guess, and I look forward to hearing where else she goes with this style.

Dont forget to buy the album on 8 track tape.

Sharon Van Etton reissuing Epic for 10 year anny and has a whole covers version to go with it. Fiona Apple, Idles, Big Red Machine among the artists who made covers.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

vvrEzq1.gif

After a few listens this afternoon and the ‘new St Vincent!’ hype well and truly gone, this is pretty much where I am with it now. It’s a bit crap. Kinda reminds me of that shit first single from Justin Timberlake’s last shit album in how much it misses the mark. 

7 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Re-listened to her self titled and a few other songs of hers again today and bloody hell, put into perspective what a step down the new single/ Masseduction was.

Maybe I'm just annoyed still because of that Sleater-Kinney album tho.

That Sleater-Kinney album. OOF.

The thing is, if it was a bit pacier, you can half-imagine it as a Strange Mercy/self-titled kinda song but the production absolutely blows. Odd because Antonoff is busy producing gems for Lana Del Rey and Taylor Swift but makes weird choices with Annie.

Masseduction did win me over in the end but this song will not.

edit: not saying that all the credit/blame for albums can be attributed to Jack Antonoff. I just choose to believe he is at fault over St. Vincent.

Edited by dentalplan

Kings of Leon are releasing their album available as an NFT, or non-fungible token, which is a blockchain system like a cryptocurrency that is able to carry music and other art. Another act has also done a surprise release of their album with this format, while Banksy has apparently done this with some art as well.

Does this sound like something that might become a regular thing for music releases or will it just be a flash in the pan?

Feels like it might be the latter imo, but be interesting to see if it takes off.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Kings of Leon are releasing their album available as an NFT, or non-fungible token, which is a blockchain system like a cryptocurrency that is able to carry music and other art. Another act has also done a surprise release of their album with this format, while Banksy has apparently done this with some art as well.

Does this sound like something that might become a regular thing for music releases or will it just be a flash in the pan?

Feels like it might be the latter imo, but be interesting to see if it takes off.

3lau (an electronic act) sold some nft copies of his 3 year old debut the other week and made $11.3 million the other day - I guarantee most people in this thread havent even heard of the guy and he was able to make bank... (though as I understand it, a lot of people were buying copies as it was either the first or one of the first nft albums so might become a bit of a collectible, but still)