2021 New Music

dentalplan

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I can never quite decide if I like Pale Waves or not, but that tends to be on days I'm overthinking shit and trying to be all deep and stuff 😄

I'll prob give em a spin later, sometimes generic pop rock is what you need.

The VW album is weird without being impenetrable.  I like it.

Pale Waves are very much guilty pleasure kind of stuff. Music for angst teenage girls, but some of it is damn catchy.

Ha yeah there were a few weirder moments in the Virginia Wing album where I thought ‘hmm do I actually like this?’ and then they’d bring it back. Definitely one I’ll be revisiting.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Their Caught Up & Confused EP last year was good, well worth a listen if that's your bag

Already on it!

Why have I never heard of them before?  Really liking the vibe - "It's Over" could basically be Haim, although that's no bad thing in my eyes!

You have struck gold for me again my friend  😃👍

Just now, circus92 said:

Already on it!

Why have I never heard of them before?  Really liking the vibe - "It's Over" could basically be Haim, although that's no bad thing in my eyes!

You have struck gold for me again my friend  😃👍

Good stuff, glad you like! They're not a big name at all, only had a couple of EPs out.  Can't remember how I came across them in the first place, might have been one of those random recommendations from Deezer.

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Pale Waves are very much guilty pleasure kind of stuff. Music for angst teenage girls, but some of it is damn catchy.

Yeah - not cool, but they sure know how to write some catchy stuff.  Liked quite a bit of the first album, and the new album is even better.  Reckon they have enough material now to put on a decent show, so have just bought my first gig tickets in over a year - to their tour in February 2022.

Edited by circus92

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I didn't realise CYHSY were still going.

They're just 'Alec Ounsworth plus collaborators' now really but still going. Just finished the new one and there are points in it I think are really good but cant see it getting many repeat listens. 

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Friday, suns out, Speedboat released a top synth-pop EP today

Edit: I appreciate any music recommendation is fucking useless under a Fratellis appreciation post in 2021 but its honestly pretty neat.

Good work. You posted this just as I was about to start making use of the Ignore User function.

3 hours ago, Radiochicken said:

Slowthai Side B > Slowthai Side A

Also, it’s pretty short considering the double side concept. For me - on first listen - it’s not as good as his debut.

Yeah I was quite enjoying Side A then Side B came along and I enjoyed it much more, they're obviously aiming for different things though so that might just be down to my tastes. Kinda wish he'd released 2 different EPs a la Princess Nokia from a spotify perspective but imagine it works well on wax

The "music inspired by the movie" Judas and The Black Messiah album is also out, with a very stacked feature list. Jay Z & Nipsey Hussle, Nas, Rakim, A$AP rocky and H.E.R. amongst others. A little bit odd that Jay Z the billionaire is on it as the film is about Fred Hampton, who was a prominent Marxist. But oh well, I really like Jay Z as a rapper and the track is p good. The rest of album is fine.

Slowthai album is decent, I avoided all singles but the James Blake one and I agree with @Radiochickenthat the second half is better than the first. Need to listen to it properly though.