2021 New Music

dentalplan

22 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Car Seat Headrest fans...

Hadn’t heard of Naked Days before but this album features most of the CSH guys and is produced by Will Toledo. Seems like the band has been going a while though? 

Sounds pretty great. The title track is wonderful! 

Just trying to catch up with this thread & think this is the best thing I've listened to so far

7 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

On a first listen I really like it. I’ve still got a soft spot for them even though they’re fairly maligned these days.

Agreed - Caleb’s voice is just too great to not still enjoy, even though their recent output means I probably shouldn’t have too much time for them.  

40 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I like that, that's two for three from this album now. Cautiously curious. That said the first 2 tracks of Only By The Night are great and look at that album

Aye I feel like we’re in for a bamboozle but they’ve at least guaranteed me a single listen of their album when it’s released.

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not too much I’m majorly excited about, but I’ve got Slowthai, Django Django, Pale Waves, Mush, Claud and the new JPEGMAFIA EP on my listen list today. 

Cheers FF, had Slowthai on my list but didn't even realise Django Django had new music on the way. Will check it out 👍

No new secret BC,NR the COWARDS. They actually did a twitch stream the other day with a killer MGMT cover that worked better than it had any right to and a new song with some powerful lyrics about not eating toast in bed (I'm being genuinely sincere here).

To add to FF's list I've got some indie pop from Rat Columns and Run River North (not expecting either to set the world alight bit the singles have been alright) and some bizarre music from The Romance Of Baba Loco (got an eastern sound to it? It's weird enough that I don't know if it's good, shite or neither yet). I'll probably get to these later in the week though to be honest as Mush, Slowthai, Django² and Peggy are all highly anticipated on my end

A third single from Elder Island this week and announcement of their second album due out end of May. Can already see this will be getting a lot of sunny day garden plays this summer, love that they have released a B side alongside each single too. Getting a mix of funk, house and dreamy electronic sounds from the singles so far, feels like a slight progression from their debut sound but still very much them.

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Recommendations today, team?

Virginia Wing (heads up from @lessthanwill1 as always 😄 )

Claud (indie bedroom pop type stuff, signed to Phoebe Bridgers' label, heard them on 6Music a while back) 

Teenage Wrist (released a 90s-grungey-shoegazy sounding album back in 2018, just spotted they've got a new one out)

Edited by Quark

11 minutes ago, priest17 said:

No new secret BC,NR the COWARDS. They actually did a twitch stream the other day with a killer MGMT cover that worked better than it had any right to and a new song with some powerful lyrics about not eating toast in bed (I'm being genuinely sincere here).

I saw a bunch of people ragging on that MGMT cover on Reddit so I listened expecting a disaster but I thought it was great. Suppose if you’re expecting a fun upbeat banger then you’re gonna be disappointed, but like you say, worked better than it should’ve.

37 minutes ago, Quark said:

Virginia Wing (heads up from @lessthanwill1 as always 😄 )

Forgot about this one but most of the way through it now and I’m digging it a lot!

Decided to start today with Pale Waves as I was feeling something poppy and it’s okay but never really rises above generic pop rock. Some nice choruses but mostly just what you’d expect.

31 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I saw a bunch of people ragging on that MGMT cover on Reddit so I listened expecting a disaster but I thought it was great. Suppose if you’re expecting a fun upbeat banger then you’re gonna be disappointed, but like you say, worked better than it should’ve.

Yeah to be honest the lyrics look like something Isaac could have written already (just with less pop culture references ahah). Despite their niche sound they've got a couple of different modes and that song matches their mopey, young, on verge of fame mode so well, they've brought a classic of its time to 2021 and it works really well for me. The original was a sad song hidden behind a catchy hook.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Forgot about this one but most of the way through it now and I’m digging it a lot!

Decided to start today with Pale Waves as I was feeling something poppy and it’s okay but never really rises above generic pop rock. Some nice choruses but mostly just what you’d expect.

I can never quite decide if I like Pale Waves or not, but that tends to be on days I'm overthinking shit and trying to be all deep and stuff 😄

I'll prob give em a spin later, sometimes generic pop rock is what you need.

The VW album is weird without being impenetrable.  I like it.