2021 New Music

dentalplan

SO excited for BCNR tomorrow. Can’t wait to hear proper recordings for instrumental and opus. Quietus review from today is worth a read. Some amusing sections like: 

Whilst ‘Sunglasses’ loses its muscular crescendo and “fuck me like you mean it” chorus in favour of an escalating mutant barn-dance outro.”

And:

“Isaac Wood is at the centre. He is the trequartista you can’t stop watching when the ball is long lost, a court jester sitting inexplicably in the throne.”

https://thequietus.com/articles/29516-black-country-new-road-for-the-first-time-review?fbclid=IwAR0ILoQfmC91s6BiANJ2czn6WGc8N6wI20mnIgMAFJcVZKICTjVMtwL7kBY

9 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

SO excited for BCNR tomorrow. Can’t wait to hear proper recordings for instrumental and opus. Quietus review from today is worth a read. Some amusing sections like: 

Whilst ‘Sunglasses’ loses its muscular crescendo and “fuck me like you mean it” chorus in favour of an escalating mutant barn-dance outro.”

And:

“Isaac Wood is at the centre. He is the trequartista you can’t stop watching when the ball is long lost, a court jester sitting inexplicably in the throne.”

https://thequietus.com/articles/29516-black-country-new-road-for-the-first-time-review?fbclid=IwAR0ILoQfmC91s6BiANJ2czn6WGc8N6wI20mnIgMAFJcVZKICTjVMtwL7kBY

Yeah curious about it, finding it hard to get proper hyped about it coz I've seen the set live a few times and they've released studio versions of 60% of it but it'll be a good album to have.

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

Yeah I've got everything mentioned so far + Silicone Prairie (arty punk from yer man from Warm Boldies) and Nubiyan Twist (jazzy shite from leeds).

Looking forward to Spotify wrapped and seeing this as one of the new genres I’ve explored. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I completely forgot this band existed but this is great:

They’ve gone to lengths to keep anonymity previously so although there’s a band playing in this video, unless they’ve decided to drop that gimmick I’m half expecting this to not be the band at all 😄

Wow. Never heard of this mob but this is fucking top notch.

edit: hold up. I've just gone and watched another of their videos and now I remember I have heard of them and I liked the song. I guess you were right on the 'forgetting they existed' part. 😂

Edited by dentalplan

Thoughts on BCNR everyone?

Initial reaction on having one full listen is that I love it - which wasn’t exactly a shock. 

Instrumental is good as expected.

I prefer the album version of Athens, France to the original actually. Don’t think I can articulate why yet but I do! 

Definitely prefer the original sunglasses. I prefer Issac’s delivery in the original - this version seems muted in comparison. However, I don’t really get why people care so much about that - it’s not like the original version has disappeared!? Lyric changes in both songs aren’t a problem for me.

Science Fair could be my favourite now. Absolutely adore the ending. Track X is also great and a nice change of pace. Love the vocal harmonies that come in towards the middle. 

Opus is incredible as well. That main guitar riff is so enthralling! I wish it came back again near the end but that’s a minor complaint. I remember that being the highlight of their set when I saw them. 

Overall, it’s as good as I had hoped. The “shock” factor is obviously minimal given that I had heard every song before (some multiple times) but that’s a reflection of the album’s rollout rather than the songs themselves (which are all excellent). 

Can’t wait to see what this band does next. Will be amazed if it’s not my AOTY. 

Edited by lessthanwill1

43 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Thoughts on BCNR everyone?

It’s excellent! I’ve actively avoided listening to all of the pre-release stuff more than once or twice, so although I kinda notice some differences in Athens, France and Sunglasses, I’m not overly familiar with the old versions so the changes don’t bother me, although some people on Reddit etc don’t seem too happy.

Instrumental is great, and Opus is fucking brilliant. Can’t wait to finally get to see them live.

Gave Foo Fighters album a cursory listen and it’s about what you’d expect from them. Couple of disco/funk-flecked songs like the first single, but mostly just business as usual.

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It’s excellent! I’ve actively avoided listening to all of the pre-release stuff more than once or twice, so although I kinda notice some differences in Athens, France and Sunglasses, I’m not overly familiar with the old versions so the changes don’t bother me, although some people on Reddit etc don’t seem too happy.

Instrumental is great, and Opus is fucking brilliant. Can’t wait to finally get to see them live.

Fair play!  I love the new outro in Athens, France. It’s almost quite romantic! The transition into the frenzied Science Fair then works really well. 

I like the new Intro for sunglasses and it’s still great on the album. It’s just slightly more restrained in general - both in terms of the playing and vocals. 

Edited by lessthanwill1