2021 New Music

dentalplan

Rather lovely second album from Yasmin Williams. A very talented 24 year old guitarist who is known for her unusual style in which she has the guitar on her lap and plays it like a keyboard. 

It’s an instrumental album that is focused mainly on the guitar but some of the songs include traditional African instruments like the Kora and the Djembe. 

It’s a very evocative and soothing listen. 

Edited by lessthanwill1

30 minutes ago, Quark said:

Honestly can't figure out if I like the Buck Meek album or not. Found his voice annoying to start, but it's grown on me.  It feels a bit dull, but at the same time I'm humming and moving along to it. God knows.

I've had that before. I say I don't like it but it keeps on worming its way into my head. I usually have a 4 listen rule although there are somethings I know after 1 listen. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Honestly can't figure out if I like the Buck Meek album or not. Found his voice annoying to start, but it's grown on me.  It feels a bit dull, but at the same time I'm humming and moving along to it. God knows.

This is where I am, to the point I haven't even put it back on since the first listen. 

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

This is where I am, to the point I haven't even put it back on since the first listen. 

Loved this from the Pitchfork review 😄

"Buck Meek sings a bit like someone who didn’t expect to find himself singing. When the Big Thief guitarist opens his mouth, he comes off slightly hesitant and bashful, not entirely committed to the pitches or the rhythm. He sounds like he might be singing just over your shoulder, so even when he lets a little goose-honk crack disrupt his voice, he’s appealing and warm"

I don't think I like the new Weezer album. The first single was catchy as hell but I really can't be arsed going back to the rest of the album after my first listen. Sorry Rivers.

Black Pistol Fire gone the same way as Reignwolf, losing their intensity with age and not finding a way of replacing it so just ending up a bit too boring yank rock for me.

Tried the Fredo album as my brother recommended it but not really my bag, was produced well enough just sounds like its been done already enough (would be curious if anyone disagrees on this though)

Arlo Parks album good, I'm not as enamored as others round here but I did enjoy it.

Really liked the Baio album in the end, not up there with Vampire Weekend for me but a good listen.

Liked the LUMER EP, good post-punk Murder Capital sound although they've already released most of it as singles.

Goat Girl was great, I really like that album. I did find it a bit of a slog at first, they've got quite a dry sound to stretch over an hour, but on repeat listens there's plenty to enjoy throughout, they're high on my list of stuff to see when the world opens.

The Madlib album was really enjoyable, wasted on me sat alone though ahah, looking forward to enjoying it with other real life humans at some point.

Big surprise for me was the Anna B Savage album, I'd never heard of her and the sound isn't normally my thing (I don't know what genre it is... person singing with ambient noises and guitar?) but found the whole album really compelling, great songs and an amazing voice to boot, well worth a shot. Maybe throwing my recommendation at the end of a stupid long post not the way to go ahah.

28 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Big surprise for me was the Anna B Savage album, I'd never heard of her and the sound isn't normally my thing (I don't know what genre it is... person singing with ambient noises and guitar?) but found the whole album really compelling, great songs and an amazing voice to boot, well worth a shot. 

Never heard of her either but an interesting voice. Will give it a few more trys, Thanks.

Playing in Oct near me so may go and see her live (assuming small rooms above pubs are a thing then)

4 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Never heard of her either but an interesting voice. Will give it a few more trys, Thanks.

Playing in Oct near me so may go and see her live (assuming small rooms above pubs are a thing then)

Yeah supposed to be playing The Castle in Manchester in October and I know they're struggling so might buy a couple of tickets.