2021 New Music

dentalplan

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Steve Wilson album is my favourite of the morning so far. Can’t say I’ve kept up with much of his solo stuff after being a somewhat fan of Porcupine Tree, but the over the top 80’s vibe of a lot of this is really doing it for me. Personal Shopper is such a ridiculous banger.

I'd argue Wilson's solo output has now eclipsed what he did with Porcupine Tree, which was brilliant. Hand.Cannot.Erase. is my album of the decade for the 'teens.

Haven't listened to TFB yet, but will be getting it for sure.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Steve Wilson album is my favourite of the morning so far. Can’t say I’ve kept up with much of his solo stuff after being a somewhat fan of Porcupine Tree, but the over the top 80’s vibe of a lot of this is really doing it for me. Personal Shopper is such a ridiculous banger.

Also really enjoying this today -albeit as a long time SW fan.

Elton John appearing for an unexpected voice over role on Personal Shopper is an exceptionally strange yet welcome surprise.

18 minutes ago, Quark said:

Didn't enjoy Goat Girl as much as I expected. For some reason it's one of those albums that felt longer than its run time, and not in a good way.

Will give it another go over the weekend 

It started brightly but it did tail off toward the end. I was only about quarter way through it when I said I was enjoying it!!

6 hours ago, gigpusher said:

What's the new Weezer album called? Don't worry I googled and found it. It's OK human if anyone else is struggling to find it. 

Currently creating my playlist of albums and listening to Arlo Parks for the second time. It is a bit lovely. Never even heard of him but got a mailer from Rough Trade this morning about new releaes and Dead Sheeran was on it. The name alone made me think it was worthy of a listen. Also a Martin Gore EP today has been added to the list. Unfortunately for me Friday is annoyingly my busiest calls day at work but will update with the ones I like once I have had a good listen. 

https://tidal.com/track/142786342

'w*nking with tears in my eyes' !

Screenshot_20210129-154437_TIDAL.jpg

Edited by Euphoricape

6 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

https://tidal.com/track/142786342

'w*nking with tears in my eyes' !

Screenshot_20210129-154437_TIDAL.jpg

Yes it's been on in the background today but a few of the lyrics have stood out enough that it definitely makes the cut for second listen. Another lyric about wanting to punch the screen when Boris Johnson comes on tv I could identify with as well. 

• Upvote 1

Madlib/Four Tet album is, as expected, brilliant. Goat Girl was very enjoyable too but I’ll need to give that another listen as I was half listening with it on in the background.

One that was a very pleasant surprise was The Besnard Lakes. I think I gave them a go a few years back but for whatever reason they fell out of my mind, but the new album is great. Gonna have to go back to their older stuff if it’s close to the quality of this new one. 

First really great day of releases of 2021 for me, and I’ve still got Arlo Parks, Celeste and probably some other stuff to get through.

Real Lies, for me have the highest ratio of great tunes to attention received in the last 10 years.

This is so addictive, hints of Pet Shop Boys, LCD Soundsystem, and makes you dream of nights out. Great breathy vocals from both Kev and the guest on this Dominique Russell.

Always thought they'd be good on The Glade..

10 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

It’s only 7.30am and my day is already shook, because against all odds, the new Weezer album doesn’t suck. 

The lyrics are still pretty mediocre to worse on the whole, but the tunes themselves are largely pretty great and completely devoid of any attempt to be dOwN wItH tHe KiDs as is often Weezer’s downfall, so it’s a thumbs up from me.

Eagerly await Van Weezer to counter any temporary goodwill I have this year towards them. 

I really like it. Though think it would have been nice if they'd done 1 or 2 more traditional guitar type Weezer songs amongst all the strings just to add a bit more variety to the album.

I think I'm a week late with this one, but Kishi Bashi, an American indie violinist I like, has a new single. I thought it had a bit of a Simon and Garfunkel vibe to it, but just realised it's actually a cover of a Dolly Parton song

Edited by found home in 2009

28 minutes ago, nikkic said:

New today. 

Never head of them but it popped up on Spotify and it’s a big yes from me. 

He's a distant relative of Steve Buscemi!*

Album was nice enough when I went through it this morning, really liked the single off it after a few goes so I'll give the album the same curtesy

*He's also in vampire weekend if you're into that

Edited by priest17