The eFests Top 10 Albums of 2020

SwedgeAntilles

Everyone good to go again after yesterday's warm up? Good, cause it's Christmas Eve and it's time for The eFests Top 10 Album of 2020! Your main course is served. Doesn't it look great? Someone get a picture of me with my arm around this list

485651.jpg

Before we kick-off a big thank you to everyone who voted, all sixty seven (!) of you. I think that's probably the largest amount of entries we've had to one of these and reflects how great a year for music we've had (or that we've all gone stir crazy with the covid, probably a bit of both). It's been a blast compiling these and seeing how things have shifted over the last few weeks (more about that below), so let's get into. Starting, as we so often to with number...

10. Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters (Score: 64, Votes: 9)

Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters – Eclipse Records

The critics' choice just makes it into the top ten by the skin of her teeth. While we collectively didn't rate it as high as Pitchfork did it was still top of the pile for @FloorFiller, @lessthanwill1 and @PDAD.

9. The Strokes - The New Abnormal (Score: 79, Votes: 13)

The New Abnormal by The Strokes Reviews and Tracks - Metacritic

The choice of Billie Eilish was also the choice of many of eFests' finest, @baggie92 and @reflekting to name but two. A strong showing from Julian and the lads, they actually tied in points with our number 8 placed act, but lost out on account of the votes tie-breaker. Which brings me neatly on to...

8. Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure (Score: 79, Votes: 14)

What's Your Pleasure? by Jessie Ware Reviews and Tracks - Metacritic

Taking number 8 spot with the slimmest of margins, Jessie Ware. Jessie (not J) owes a debt of gratitude to the likes of @Calvin Klein and @Mattymooz who came out to bat for her. She was a late arrival into the top ten, only really appearing in the final week. But once she was in there, there was no sign of her dropping out as the votes kept coming. 

7. Fontaines D.C. - A Hero's Death (Score: 80, Votes: 16)

A Hero's Death by Fontaines D.C.

Just a point and two votes ahead of Jessie Ware (a country mile compared to the last two spots), Fontaines D.C. have been there or thereabouts from the beginning.@Radiochicken, @anditmakesmesmileand @tjamest all give them a place in their top 5s helped them into 7th place.

6. HAIM. - Women In Music, Part III (Score: 84, Votes: 18)

Women in Music, Pt. 3 - HAIM | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

Closing the bottom 5 is HAIM. Another act who, like Fontaines D.C., seemed to be happy with mid-table respectability from the start.  Thanks to @circus92 and @Greenelkplacing them high in their lists a spot in the top ten always looked guaranteed.

Now, we move into the Top 5...

5. Laura Marling - Song For Our Daughter (Score: 115, Votes: 17)

Song for Our Daughter by Laura Marling Reviews and Tracks - Metacritic

In that first week or so I watched in horror as my personal pick for 3rd best album of the year barely registered a vote. Then, out of nowhere, the votes came flying in thick and fast. Seemingly kicked off by @Gnomicide and @Andeerooin quick succession and bookended by @gigpusherright at the death, eventually Laura Marling comfortably got her place in the top 5 opening a huge lead over HAIM and, only just missing out on 4th place, which was taken by...

4. Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia (Score: 119, Votes: 20)

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia - Amazon.com Music

Amazingly, Dua Lipa claimed eFests 4th favourite album of the year despite not taking top spot on a single list. However, she picked high places elsewhere, specifically in the lists of @Padjeq, @broken monkey, @Kalopsiaand @jyoung and more giving her the edge of Laura M and a top 5 places that she never looked like not getting, even from the get go. A top 3 place was well beyond her reach, given the huge score amassed by...

3. Run The Jewels - RTJ4 (Score: 158, Votes: 25)

Rtj4 (2lp) | CDON

The boys took 4th spot on the tracks list, but went one better on the albums. A favourite of the likes of @mcshed, @DJLand @BennykillRTJ4 was jostling for 2nd place right until the final moments. In fact, another top 5 placement would've taken them there, but ultimately they could quite get ahead of our silver medalist...

2. Taylor Swift - Folklore (Score: 161, Votes: 24)

Taylor Swift - folklore - Amps and Green Screens

Always the bridesmaid... In a story so tragic she could've penned the lyrics herself and added to Evermore, Taylor Swift takes second place in both the track and albums of 2020 lists. TayTay set off like a rocket. Picking up top placements from @Matt42, @Superunknown, @jparx and many many more. However, as it turned out it was a Red mirage. While she continued to consistently pick up votes she ended up doing so in a battle to hold onto 2nd place, with 1st place growing increasingly unlikely with each passing day. However that being said, a huge success story of 2020 and a true eFests favourite. But not quite the favourite...

1. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher (Score: 243, Votes: 33)

Phoebe Bridgers Punisher LP

Possibly the worst kept secret in eFest history (apart from Matt running that Glasto rumours account maybe), yes PHOEBE BRIDGERS - PUNISHER IS OUR ALBUM OF 2020! But how couldn't you spot this from the submission thread? Two. Hundred. And. Forty. Three. points. Over 80 points clear of her nearest rival. 33 members voted for Punisher meaning it appeared on pretty much 50% of the lists that were submitted. Unbelievable numbers and a truly worthy winner. Congrats to @FakeEmpire, @Burgers_, @kingcrawler, @Johnkhutch, @nikkic and many many more who championed this amazing record.

It's Phoebe Bridger's world now, we're all just living in it.

Some Final Thoughts and Insights...

• In a further example of how well Taylor did overall, despite only coming out a few weeks ago, Evermore managed to amass a score of 28 from 4 votes. Had it been released a few weeks earlier she'd almost certainly have had two albums in the top ten.
  • HUGE honorable mention to Charli XCX - How I'm Feeling Now, who missed out on the top ten by a single point. Another one who had a strong showing throughout. 
  • If SAULT had released a double album, instead of both albums separately, they've have likely take 8th spot ahead of Fontaines D.C.
  • A wooden spoon prize for some critical hits which only registered one vote in our lists were; Margo Price, Bob Dylan, Car Seat Headrest and (perhaps most surprisingly) Lady Gaga. 
  • 249 albums in total were voted for. If anyone would like a longlist let me know and I'll put something up on Google Sheets.

And that's it for 2020. Thank you again everyone for playing and MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Like 8
  • Upvote 38

Thanks great job. That's a pretty good top 10. Laura Marling was my  clear album of the year the placement of some of my other ones were neither here nor there so glad to see her make it into the top half of the top 10. A very strong year for the ladies overall. Tell me again why they can't find enough of them to headline festivals!! 

Looking forward to seeing the longlist. Have actually been giving Dua Lipa a couple of listens today and it is an excellent album. 

Nice list. What a great year for music! Awful year for most other things but I have had so much time to enjoy a lot of great albums. What a year for female lyricists- Pheobe Bridgers, Taylor, Laurla Marling, Jessie Ware, Dua Lipa, Fiona Apple and HAIM all made the top 10.

Very happy with that list, 7 were in my longlist, that Taylor album and Fontaines DC not really my thing but I can appreciate their impact. May have to revisit The Strokes Album as I used to be a fan and didn't really get into that album.

@Gnomicide, @gigpusher and @priest17 (and anyone else interested), you should be able to access the long lists here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yc__25uCFkJk8DjVobCo-L9c_zbhCSgUe_dQDZC5caw/edit?usp=sharing

If it doesn't work give me shout 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSMO8WtZ8RA1HGLHeC8oQ1SQIWaSO_AS39e8C2MBlnmCOZ-XnOF8128f8P-qmIF4YPL5R2AwGUHSqTJ/pubhtml

Have published it to the web now, so hopefully you will no longer need permission to access.

Great stuff. Astonished at the low position of Rolling Blackouts CF! How the fuck did Blossoms finish above it??????

17 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Great stuff. Astonished at the low position of Rolling Blackouts CF! How the fuck did Blossoms finish above it??????

My theory would be that the people who listened to the album are like me, in that they listened to lots of albums and Sideways to New Italy, while good, didn’t crack the top 10. And the opposite of all that for Blossoms.

3 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSMO8WtZ8RA1HGLHeC8oQ1SQIWaSO_AS39e8C2MBlnmCOZ-XnOF8128f8P-qmIF4YPL5R2AwGUHSqTJ/pubhtml

Have published it to the web now, so hopefully you will no longer need permission to access.

Thanks for organising this and for sharing the long list. Was curious to see how my favourite 3 albums of the year did (the Big Moon, Declan McKenna & Matt Berninger) and although none of them made the top 10 looks like they all were fairly popular, which was a pleasant surprise.

4 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Blimey, I was the only voter for more than half of my nominations. Either I’ve  got really shit musical tastes or else I’m just ahead of my time and the rest of the world will eventually catch up. 
I refuse to countenance the former...!

Aye, same here. 6 of my 10 I was the only person who nominated them.

You lot know fuck all is my conclusion.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for putting all that together, really interesting seeing it all compiled on one list. The only one in the top 10 on my list was Fontaines (although I’ve gone back and revisited the Strokes a few times recently and would probably make it on there now!) but nice that there’s so much out there for people to appreciate. Loads to listen to now, and bring on 2021!