Volunteering 2021

March Hare

27 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Makes sense. Priority had issues and that’s a really chilled process with no one losing out on Glasto places. Imagine a load of stressed out newbies not getting a Glasto place because of a payment issue 😱

Only choice was to wait and get the process right

My thoughts entirely, I had priority and had no issues. My friend went through 5 different payment cards before she got her place! 😱

full text of the message - for those without facebook access 

We have made the difficult decision to delay our stewarding application opening, which was due tomorrow, Tuesday 1st March.

We are extremely sorry for this delay and unfortunately, right now we are unable to confirm a new date. We will contact you again in the coming days with an update.

As you may know, we opened our priority applications last week, with some people facing card authorisation problems. We’ve been endeavouring to resolve this through the weekend.

We really don’t want these issues to impact our public applications. Therefore, it is with a heavy heart that we are letting you know that we need a bit more time.

We know that this will come as disappointing news, but we wish to ensure the application process is as smooth as possible for our amazing stewards, and to give everyone the fairest chance of securing their place at their desired festivals this year. The last thing we want is for you to miss out due to a technical mishap.

We are hoping to have this issue resolved in the next week and are working exceptionally hard to ensure this is possible. We will be giving you advanced notice as soon as we have an opening date, as we recognise you may need to make adjustments on the day to give yourself the best possible chance of obtaining a space at your favourite festival(s).

Because of this, Campaigning and Shop Volunteer application will also be delayed until one week after our stewarding applications open.

You can still prepare yourself for steward applications opening by creating your account, or logging in and checking your password, before the big day.

So far, we have filled Bearded Theory, 2000 TreesThe Long Road and Trailwalker - if one of these was your favourite, please don’t be disheartened, spaces could still become available later on in the season.

Check our website or see below to see where you could be this summer.

0c6f5441-ca80-411e-8efc-e72ab0093ed7.png

Bearded Theory, 25th - 30th May 
Download, 8th - 13th June
Isle of Wight, 15th - 20th June
Glastonbury, 21st - 27th June
2000 Trees, 6th - 10th July 
NASS, 6th - 11th July
Latitude, 20th - 25th July 
WOMAD, 27th July - 1st August
Wilderness, 3rd - 8th August 
Boardmasters, 9th - 15th August 
Boomtown, 9th - 15th August 
ArcTanGent, 17th - 21st August  
Beautiful Days, 17th - 22nd August 
Reading, 24th - 29th August  
Leeds, 24th - 29th August  
Shambala, 24th - 29th August 
The Long Road, 25th - 29th August
Trailwalker, 20th - 25th September

We will be emailing again to let you know the confirmed date, and also announce this on our social channels, as soon as we know.

Thank you for bearing with us and for your continued support.

Oxfam Festivals Team

Edited by blutarsky

42 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

What is going astray with Oxfam. It is such a high organisation as well. Their HQ is just up the road from me.

At best I can tell, the payment processing function on the web site doesn't support Strong Customer Authentication yet which is causing some rejected payments.

The deadline to implement it is theoretically a couple weeks away, but it looks like some banks are requiring it early.

1 hour ago, incident said:

At best I can tell, the payment processing function on the web site doesn't support Strong Customer Authentication yet which is causing some rejected payments.

The deadline to implement it is theoretically a couple weeks away, but it looks like some banks are requiring it early.

Are they doing too many festivals do you think. Maybe I dare say overreaching themselves. I have done Latitude and Beautiful days with them in the past.

15 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Are they doing too many festivals do you think. Maybe I dare say overreaching themselves. I have done Latitude and Beautiful days with them in the past.

Not sure the number of festivals they are doing has any real bearing on a website payment issue for a minority of people. It would've been a problem whether they were doing one or 50.

They've been doing about this many, give or take, for a while now.

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Bearded Theory, 25th - 30th May 
Download, 8th - 13th June
Isle of Wight, 15th - 20th June
Glastonbury, 21st - 27th June
2000 Trees, 6th - 10th July 
Latitude, 20th - 25th July 
WOMAD, 27th July - 1st August
Wilderness, 3rd - 8th August 
Boardmasters, 9th - 15th August  
Beautiful Days, 17th - 22nd August 
Reading, 24th - 29th August  

Shame it's not paid work, that's a nice run of events to do...

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Not sure the number of festivals they are doing has any real bearing on a website payment issue for a minority of people. It would've been a problem whether they were doing one or 50.

Yeah, the issue is going to be more along the lines of the application system was built a few years ago for a specific purpose, and then gets taken out for a spin once a year with limited maintenance - and so the change on the banks side caught them by surprise. Not a huge deal.

20 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

That is entirely true

2 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

They did more last year and most of them were sold out. They've got the permanent staff to be able to do 3 festivals a weekend so could in theory do even more. 

what a pain for people - to be honest I had no idea about ' Strong Customer Authentication ' but video below may explain part of it

https://youtu.be/AwKyllvN4S8

I tend to only use a few sites 

recently I noticed a change on the  British Gas payment site - I have a Smartmeter { SMETS 2 } using the same card I have used before but there was one extra button to click but payment was accepted.

I also recently used Thames Water to pay my annual water bill but did not spot any extra procedure.

Good luck for anyone going though the process - its a stressful time - I did Oxfam in 2018 and found it well organised.

14 minutes ago, waltere said:

E-mails for paying Shelter deposits have just been sent out

Yes, received mine, and have paid my deposit. Have to say, the terms and conditions were written in a rather overbearing tone. Sounds very much like they’ve had a lot of issues in the past with people not turning up for their shifts. However... over the moon to be going. Despite having the place agreed, and it being rolled over for two years, until I receive today’s email I was very nervous.

Cannot wait. Getting on to that site again is going to be epic. Tears will be shed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

It's Kings Cross usually. Which is pretty much almost St Pancras as well. York Street (I think) bus stop.

Yep. Previously its been York Street, which is up against the East (non St. Pancras) side of King's Cross station

15 hours ago, MrZigster said:

It's Kings Cross usually. Which is pretty much almost St Pancras as well. York Street (I think) bus stop.

you should know better than me but is it York Way ? rather than York street

Have marked it with a red dot .

if you do recognise it and it is there ' be aware that other Crews { Not Avalon/Shelter } are also using York Way as a Crew Pick Up Point ' !!!

I don't have the times yet but there could be a morning and afternoon pick up on the Tuesday.

YORK-WAY.thumb.jpg.3798e73cf22dd472b668a2cc3a941541.jpg

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

you should know better than me but is it York Way ? rather than York street

Have marked it with a red dot .

if you do recognise it and it is there ' be aware that other Crews { Not Avalon/Shelter } are also using York Way as a Crew Pick Up Point ' !!!

I don't have the times yet but there could be a morning and afternoon pick up on the Tuesday.

YORK-WAY.thumb.jpg.3798e73cf22dd472b668a2cc3a941541.jpg

I'd know better than you? I think you've done it more times than me. You've done it more times than anyone lol.

Street/Way whatever but that looks like the place. It is a bit of a lug from St. Pancras.

20 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Yes, received mine, and have paid my deposit. Have to say, the terms and conditions were written in a rather overbearing tone. Sounds very much like they’ve had a lot of issues in the past with people not turning up for their shifts. However... over the moon to be going. Despite having the place agreed, and it being rolled over for two years, until I receive today’s email I was very nervous.

Cannot wait. Getting on to that site again is going to be epic. Tears will be shed.

I worked for Shelter/Avalon events in 2019, 38 people ran off into the festival without having worked which included 9 off my shift. 

25 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I worked for Shelter/Avalon events in 2019, 38 people ran off into the festival without having worked which included 9 off my shift. 

Shit bags. 

I think it's safe to say that they won't be able to do the same this year.  Also, all of the organisations share the details of absconders with each other.