Volunteering 2021

March Hare

I managed to get a place with Oxfam yesterday.  No luck at 09:30, but I kept trying and at 10:05 I was suddenly able to enter payment.  Happy days!  I had a think and decided to stick with this and not to try in the resale this year.

Looking forward to it.  Oxfield sounds nice, and I really like the idea of being able to be onsite from Monday to Monday.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

I managed to get a place with Oxfam yesterday.  No luck at 09:30, but I kept trying and at 10:05 I was suddenly able to enter payment.  Happy days!  I had a think and decided to stick with this and not to try in the resale this year.

Looking forward to it.  Oxfield sounds nice, and I really like the idea of being able to be onsite from Monday to Monday.

It’s a very different experience with pros and cons. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Do you know anyone else going with Oxfam?  You’ll be able to add them as shift partners so your free time will be in sync 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I once spent 6 hours of a night shift at Boomtown "guarding" a gap in a fence. Wasn't even an external fence, but it could've been dangerous if someone went through it. That was a long shift. Was fun listening on the radio to the absolute carnage that everyone else was dealing with though.

Best Oxfam radio call was the stewards dealing with Deer at wilderness festival. It was entertaining to listen to it evolve over the course of the evening from a few deer by the main gate into a heard of deer and then they had to call in the park rangers.

The clarification on the radio was

"Oxbox to yellow gate stewards- Just had clarity that the site is a working deer farm with over 1,000 on site. So there's little we're able to do, hopefully they'll move by morning"

"Yellow gate stewards to Oxbox-Roger that, for next year's festival suggest venison as an option".

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Best Oxfam radio call was the stewards dealing with Deer at wilderness festival. It was entertaining to listen to it evolve over the course of the evening from a few deer by the main gate into a heard of deer and then they had to call in the park rangers.

"Oxbox to yellow gate stewards- Just had clarity that the site is a working deer farm with over 1,000 on site. So there's little we're able to do, hopefully they'll move by morning"

"Yellow gate stewards to Oxbox-Roger that, for next year's festival suggest venison as an option".

😂😂

I love not having a radio but this would have been worth listening in to.

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Ooh, venison for crew catering. 

Although, got to say, the crew catering at Wilderness was fantastic. So much better than Latitude

14 hours ago, stuie said:

Sadly I didn’t manage to get an Oxfam place yesterday but I’ve been offered a place with Shelter that I have to accept or reject by 26th March. 

Does anyone know if you really have to get the Shelter coaches? I guess you can’t go on Monday either? 

It’s probably not a bad situation to be in as I can try in the coach resale before I commit to Shelter! 

I am not connected to Shelter but I know the people who run Avalon Bars & Events { some for 34 Years - I kid you not }

## in the T&C's it states ##

- All volunteers must travel to and from the event on the coaches provided by Avalon Bars provided coaches.

Avalon Bars coaches will be departing to Glastonbury during the day on Tuesday 21 June 2022 from various departure points around the country including Bristol, London and either Sheffield or Birmingham (TBC)

If you fail to turn up to the coach pick-up points for travel to Glastonbury without a justifiable reason, your deposit will be forfeited and you will not be eligible to volunteer in future years.

-----------------

You have to look at it ' from their point of view '

they cant have random people showing up as its far more hassle than its worth to get them though the gates and into the crew area.

Hence why they want everyone to travel by Coach.

I have worked in the bars that Avalon Bars now run and they are small to medium and the shift pattern is not bad at all

3 days x 8 hours or 4 days x 6 hours or  2 days x 8 hours plus 2 days x 4 hours

## I work 6 days x 6 hours {with the Sunday evening running on well past the 6 hours} ##

You should think yourself lucky you have a offer of a place. 

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I am not connected to Shelter but I know the people who run Avalon Bars & Events { some for 34 Years - I kid you not }

## in the T&C's it states ##

- All volunteers must travel to and from the event on the coaches provided by Avalon Bars provided coaches.

Avalon Bars coaches will be departing to Glastonbury during the day on Tuesday 21 June 2022 from various departure points around the country including Bristol, London and either Sheffield or Birmingham (TBC)

If you fail to turn up to the coach pick-up points for travel to Glastonbury without a justifiable reason, your deposit will be forfeited and you will not be eligible to volunteer in future years.

-----------------

You have to look at it ' from their point of view '

they cant have random people showing up as its far more hassle than its worth to get them though the gates and into the crew area.

Hence why they want everyone to travel by Coach.

I have worked in the bars that Avalon Bars now run and they are small to medium and the shift pattern is not bad at all

3 days x 8 hours or 4 days x 6 hours or  2 days x 8 hours plus 2 days x 4 hours

## I work 6 days x 6 hours {with the Sunday evening running on well past the 6 hours} ##

You should think yourself lucky you have a offer of a place. 

Thanks very much for your reply. I feel lucky that I have it as an option, it’s just different from Oxfam, that’s all! 

3 hours ago, stuie said:

Thanks very much for your reply. I feel lucky that I have it as an option, it’s just different from Oxfam, that’s all! 

I have also been a volunteer with Oxfam {But not at Glastonbury} and if I had to pick either Oxfam or Avalon Bars/Shelter 100% I would pick Avalon Bars/Shelter !!! - I have never attempted to buy a Glastonbury ticket since 1987 {35 years ago} so I don't look at volunteer work as a second option if I don't get a ticket.

When you are working in a busy bar the time will fly past - sure some shifts may clash but that is the price you have to pay for the security of camping in a crew site. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve worked for both and prefer Oxfam largely for being able to take my caravan whereas the coach package for Shelter means that you have to camp. It’s also a bit of a hassle to get to one of the pick up points with all your kit. Nonetheless, I managed all of that and it was fine. I like Shelter’s camp position better - it’s noisy (near SW corner) but I was easily tired enough to sleep!

I had a hideous shift pattern Friday 10-6; Saturday 6-2am; Sunday 4 - midnight ..& our bar at The Glade was chaotic, and on Saturday it was full of coked up knobheads.

.....but I still had loads of fun & would do it again!  The camaraderie behind the bars is fabulous, & there are lots of better shift patterns than the one I got! x

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I have also been a volunteer with Oxfam {But not at Glastonbury} and if I had to pick either Oxfam or Avalon Bars/Shelter 100% I would pick Avalon Bars/Shelter !!! - I have never attempted to buy a Glastonbury ticket since 1987 {35 years ago} so I don't look at volunteer work as a second option if I don't get a ticket.

When you are working in a busy bar the time will fly past - sure some shifts may clash but that is the price you have to pay for the security of camping in a crew site. 

I totally agree, and just for the record my first choice is Oxfam, not just because I didn’t get a ticket.  I got coach tickets for my mates in Oct 2019 but not for myself as I prefer to work it.

But we are where we are and I didn’t get an Oxfam place. 

Campaigner and shop only though, no stewards. Note on being a campaigner:

"To apply to be a campaigner at Glastonbury you will be required to apply successfully for a second festival as a campaigner, steward or shop volunteer. If your application is unsuccessful your deposit will be refunded within 10 working days."

Edited by wozwebs

1 minute ago, wozwebs said:

Campaigner and shop only though, no stewards

oh right sozza, I just logged in on my daughters login and it was already showing steward in the box so assumed it was there

On 3/20/2022 at 1:41 PM, amfy said:

I’ve worked for both and prefer Oxfam largely for being able to take my caravan whereas the coach package for Shelter means that you have to camp. It’s also a bit of a hassle to get to one of the pick up points with all your kit. Nonetheless, I managed all of that and it was fine. I like Shelter’s camp position better - it’s noisy (near SW corner) but I was easily tired enough to sleep!

I had a hideous shift pattern Friday 10-6; Saturday 6-2am; Sunday 4 - midnight ..& our bar at The Glade was chaotic, and on Saturday it was full of coked up knobheads.

.....but I still had loads of fun & would do it again!  The camaraderie behind the bars is fabulous, & there are lots of better shift patterns than the one I got! x

The pick up point thing was ridiclous when I did it in 2019.

I got the train down from Oxford to Bristol on the Monday night and stayed in the Ibis next to the pick up point, few others had the same idea so it was nice to meet some people in the bar the night before who were on their own as well.

However we met a lot of people from Devon and Cornwall who were volunteering who, not only had to travel there and back to London for a training day that could have been done on Zoom, they then to travel up past the festival site to Bristol to then get a coach back down onto the site. 

I know there are rules etc but some sort of common sense should have prevailed at somepoint and had coaches going from a few more locations especially in the South West and given the festivals position on carbon neutral etc.  

Edited by gooner1990

On 3/19/2022 at 4:45 PM, Leyrulion said:

In 2005, think it was then, they had to shoot a deer that had got inside the fence. Came from some senior but no idea if true. Glastonbury that is

On 3/19/2022 at 12:31 PM, stuie said:

Sadly I didn’t manage to get an Oxfam place yesterday but I’ve been offered a place with Shelter that I have to accept or reject by 26th March. 

Does anyone know if you really have to get the Shelter coaches? I guess you can’t go on Monday either? 

It’s probably not a bad situation to be in as I can try in the coach resale before I commit to Shelter! 

Worked with Shelter in 2019, yes you have to get the coaches and Tues AM is the only option (I went from Bristol)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Watergirl said:

Brilliant - thanks for that. Puts it into perspective!

no probs, I used the map to work out it was 1.5km to williams green from the oxfam field as I used to meet my friends there but it felt much further in the heat of 2019 haha