Volunteering 2021

March Hare

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

What do we reckon the "best"shifts to hand on here is? 

D? Get all of Wednesday, most of thursday, miss Friday headliner, all of Saturday and could get back for Sunday headliner.

We had B shift last time, which I was well happy with. Main stage wise it was only the Saturday night headliner that we missed

8 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

What do we reckon the "best"shifts to hand on here is? 

D? Get all of Wednesday, most of thursday, miss Friday headliner, all of Saturday and could get back for Sunday headliner.

I think E is pretty good. Friday off and after a post shift nap on Saturday - go hard knowing you next shift isn’t until last headliner is on stage.

9 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I think E is pretty good. Friday off and after a post shift nap on Saturday - go hard knowing you next shift isn’t until last headliner is on stage.

Even moreso if you get one of the variations on E, where you don't have that last shift overnight as it's pretty much skeleton staff by that point, but instead your 3rd shift is either gates opening at 6am Wednesday or departures on 6am Monday.

11 minutes ago, incident said:

Even moreso if you get one of the variations on E, where you don't have that last shift overnight as it's pretty much skeleton staff by that point, but instead your 3rd shift is either gates opening at 6am Wednesday or departures on 6am Monday.

100%

I know three people who got that gig. Lucky devils

1 hour ago, amfy said:

I like C.

Its strange how many different preferences there are maybe we should state a preference and see to what extent everyone could get what they choose?

That's what I like about the recycling crew is that you get to put down your shift preferences.  So gives people options depending on say whether they want to see bands all day or spend all night in the SE Corner

6 hours ago, dondo said:

That's what I like about the recycling crew is that you get to put down your shift preferences.  So gives people options depending on say whether they want to see bands all day or spend all night in the SE Corner

And you get some shifts inside the festival whereas Oxfam is all on the perimeter*

* unless you are campaigning which is an amazing gig but the application isn’t as easy

Edited by March Hare

2 hours ago, March Hare said:

And you get some shifts inside the festival whereas Oxfam is all on the perimeter*

* unless you are campaigning which is an amazing gig but the application isn’t as easy

I was meaning more if you want to party all night then you'd choose an afternoon shift litter picking but if you want to catch bands in the afternoon you'd go for the 6am shifts.  That said with some afternoon shifts you may get to hear some music depending on where you are sent.  

12 hours ago, amfy said:

I like C.

Its strange how many different preferences there are maybe we should state a preference and see to what extent everyone could get what they choose?

Could set up a different thread for this? I'd have a preference for A or B

Honestly I’d be happy with any. I think I’ve been lucky with Oxfam shifts at all festivals so far.

That’s because I know I’m working at the festival, that’s the deal so I kind of don’t get caught up in it that way.  It’s fun looking at the clash finder on the Monday afternoon once I’ve got my shift sheet in my hands.

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

Honestly I’d be happy with any. I think I’ve been lucky with Oxfam shifts at all festivals so far.

That’s because I know I’m working at the festival, that’s the deal so I kind of don’t get caught up in it that way.  It’s fun looking at the clash finder on the Monday afternoon once I’ve got my shift sheet in my hands.

I'm the same. I also have a policy of not trying to swap shifts, no matter who I'm missing. Just go with the flow. You see some people b getting so stressed over it. 

This policy may be tested at Bearded Theory this year though. 

29 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

Has anyone tried to get newbies onto the Recycling Crew this year, and if so, have they heard anything from Fiona yet?

I've not tried this year but I know when I tried in 2019 I got someone I knew on but when tried for 2020 (before it was cancelled obviously) I didn't as there wasn't any spots. Don't know how people's situation may have changed in the last couple of years as with those who have tickets and how many people will give up their spaces.

Might be worth asking on the recycling crew FB page 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Probably, the system seems pretty slick. They just turn it on at 11. 

They said what time it's turn on at half 9.

Gonna be stressful then trying to get Liverpool tickets for West ham game at the same time 😬😬😬

30 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Oxfam have postponed public steward applications, see link for details. 

https://www.facebook.com/festivalvolunteering/posts/1041017753119378

Screenshot 2022-02-28 16.32.35.png

Makes sense. Priority had issues and that’s a really chilled process with no one losing out on Glasto places. Imagine a load of stressed out newbies not getting a Glasto place because of a payment issue 😱

Only choice was to wait and get the process right

53 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Oxfam have postponed public steward applications, see link for details. 

https://www.facebook.com/festivalvolunteering/posts/1041017753119378

Screenshot 2022-02-28 16.32.35.png

Ah stinks a bit as I took the day off work for this, but I understand it’s better to have a smooth process than anyone missing out because of technical problems. 

• Upvote 1