Volunteering 2021

March Hare

15 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

So as much as I love it, it's not for everyone. I've spoken to stewards (Glastonbury and other festivals) who've hated it. Not many, but a few. Hated the work, hated that they've had to miss favourite bands, gone solo cos they've heard how easy it is to meet people and then struggled. 

I'd agree with this - I'd also say, that out of all of the festivals Oxfam does, it's one of the hardest to meet people, despite it being the biggest team they bring.  Tthe size of the festival makes it a bit harder to bump into people and the sheer number of stewards mean that most already know people there.  Having said that, I did it solo with Oxfam in 2016, and made a fair few friends who I still keep in touch with now - but I find it quite easy to join in etc, which I know is not always true for everyone.

And you definitely have to be able to accept that you'll miss a "must see", and there's not a lot you can do about it.

20 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Unless you get early shifts (arrive the Saturday before, work Sun, Mon, Tue. I think. Never had them. Very lucky to do so) you usually work an early, a late and an overnight. Not guaranteed to be that though, there are some slight variations. You've usually done one, sometimes two shifts before the weekend starts proper. Mostly working on the gates. Can be dull as fuck, can be a laugh.  Can be mad busy, can be very slow and quiet. 

I love it. It suits me well. None of the stress of trying to get a ticket. All my friends who go are also volunteers. Been doing it for so long I know a load of people. Having our own field/showers/food and such is great but the location is a pain. Especially when you're trudging back at 4am, or working on Gate D. Missing the fun can be shit, but I made my peace with that ages ago. It was worse when I had mates who went as punters and I had to leave them to go on shift. Other stewards are generally friendly and welcoming. Some can be a bit cliquey, but for any who are, there's way more who aren't. I'm sure we've been guilty of that ourselves but we try to be open and welcoming. The wider group keeps growing each year (neighbours, people on shift etc) so we must be OK. 

So as much as I love it, it's not for everyone. I've spoken to stewards (Glastonbury and other festivals) who've hated it. Not many, but a few. Hated the work, hated that they've had to miss favourite bands, gone solo cos they've heard how easy it is to meet people and then struggled. 

This will be my first Glasto working but not for festival working. The smaller ones are harder because you have to work 3 shifts across 4 days (only one off). With Glasto though we can turn up on the monday and you have 3 shifts across 5 days so more time off. 

Im really looking forward to it. Im just praying for the shift pattern I want... think it was D in 2019. 

i was on the southeast corner traffic gate last fest, its pretty much all workers and performers camping down there so lots of celebrities and 'celebrities'. Nothing too exciting to report, the sight of Keith Allen and Bez shitfaced isnt really the exclusive i'd like it to be 🤣

the overnight shift is a bit of a pig, it gets bloody cold even in the midst of a heatwave, so wrap up for that one - i had an overnight on the weds, a late shift fri, and an early on sun which didnt really affect any performances i wanted to see. im all signed up for it again this year - going on my own, though will have some mates in attendance as well. I'm not really the most gregarious sort, i'm quite happy to do my shifts and head off on my own - thats a fair bit easier at glastonbury than at any other festival though i suspect 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Havors said:

This will be my first Glasto working but not for festival working. The smaller ones are harder because you have to work 3 shifts across 4 days (only one off). With Glasto though we can turn up on the monday and you have 3 shifts across 5 days so more time off. 

Im really looking forward to it. Im just praying for the shift pattern I want... think it was D in 2019. 

Good point. Forgot about that. Managed to get early shift for latitude last year, but that only means arriving Tuesday with a shift on Wednesday. Did make it more like Glastonbury though, with the two done before the weekend

9 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

i was on the southeast corner traffic gate last fest, its pretty much all workers and performers camping down there so lots of celebrities and 'celebrities'. Nothing too exciting to report, the sight of Keith Allen and Bez shitfaced isnt really the exclusive i'd like it to be 🤣

the overnight shift is a bit of a pig, it gets bloody cold even in the midst of a heatwave, so wrap up for that one - i had an overnight on the weds, a late shift fri, and an early on sun which didnt really affect any performances i wanted to see. im all signed up for it again this year - going on my own, though will have some mates in attendance as well. I'm not really the most gregarious sort, i'm quite happy to do my shifts and head off on my own - thats a fair bit easier at glastonbury than at any other festival though i suspect 

I'm 90% sure my mate was working there, in which case you would've taken over from him as we had the shift pattern before that

36 minutes ago, not worthy said:

and if you're really lucky you get Vehicle Gate A and meet loads of artists.

A friend was on a vehicle gate in 2014ish, had to check passes and the back of the vans to see what was coming. The driver was reluctant to let them open the van which obviously made them super suspicious. Eventually they looked inside and found clean bandit sat on the floor, apparently they looked miserable. 

46 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I'm 90% sure my mate was working there, in which case you would've taken over from him as we had the shift pattern before that

aha! i just recall big beaming smiles at me as i turned up for my shift! its always a delight finishing a work shift, but doing so at 2pm really is a very decent thing - the festival is just rolling up, so i grab a pint and have a sitdown in a staff bar for an hour or so, and plan my next move . . 

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Good point. Forgot about that. Managed to get early shift for latitude last year, but that only means arriving Tuesday with a shift on Wednesday. Did make it more like Glastonbury though, with the two done before the weekend

I had horrible shifts at Latitude haha! 

I did vehicle gate d twice (least I think it was d, it was on the west side)when I volunteered last glasto, and the gate going up to camp Kerala for my 3rd shift. Gate d was pretty grim, mostly just delivery drivers but worst was the buses full of security you had to get on and scan each one of them, about 20 to a bus and every time they just got all arsey about having to be scanned. The camp Kerala gate was better, met the Beckhams and David said he liked my hat.

9 hours ago, incident said:

Looking at the list at 10:49 - TLR has space again, so presumably someone cancelled already or their payment bounced.

Odd.

The payment issues messed some people up. 
Two of my friends wanted Bearded Theory & one got it but the other struggled with her card & missed out. So, the one that got it cancelled her place and they have both gone for something else.

17 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

also 9pm and still Glastonbury places available. Oxfam priority really is a fairly stress free way to get a ticket.

I totally agree.  Apart from the payment issue that some went through, it’s a pretty slick process. Even then, it’s only those trying to get Bearded Theory or The Long Road who may have missed out. Chances are, given those festivals take tiny amounts of stewards (Long Road is roughly 30), they would have missed out anyway.

I wonder how many are going for stewarding places on Tuesday? Anyone from here trying?

Anyone have the oxfam shift patterns/blocks to hand for glasto. Remember seeing some ABCDE thing posted on here a few years ago. Assuming this style of shift allocation is only done for glasto as only did 1 night shift at the 3 festivals i was at last summer

Early      Late      Night

Weds         A            B           C

Thurs         D            E           A

Fri               B            C          D

Sat              E            A           B

Sun              C           D           E

Its basically that. Although most will be on that pattern not everyone is. I've seen all manner of variations, from people with just two shifts, to people with 3 shifts on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

26 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Early      Late      Night

Weds         A            B           C

Thurs         D            E           A

Fri               B            C          D

Sat              E            A           B

Sun              C           D           E

Its basically that. Although most will be on that pattern not everyone is. I've seen all manner of variations, from people with just two shifts, to people with 3 shifts on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

I’ve heard people asking for evening shifts because they are not morning people. Makes no sense to me because surely 2-10pm is fun time, but one person I spoke was actively trying to change to those 🤷🏽‍♂️

15 hours ago, March Hare said:

From an old thread.  Not everyone follows this through as some shifts (such as pedestrian gates on the Wednesday) are front loaded*

*edit: what @philipsteak said

AFBC04C6-C816-482A-9876-35569ABFF615.jpeg

What do we reckon the "best"shifts to hand on here is? 

D? Get all of Wednesday, most of thursday, miss Friday headliner, all of Saturday and could get back for Sunday headliner.