Volunteering 2021

March Hare

1 hour ago, missnutmeg said:

Does anyone know how many stewards they’re likely to take? Has anyone ever applied or worked for them before? 🤔

I applied for 2020. I'm not sure about how many people they take, but I remember the application form had to be posted along with passport photos. They then reviewed your application for suitability. I didn't hear back due to it being cancelled. Hopefully someone else can give some extra info x

1 minute ago, Jensescapade said:

I applied for 2020. I'm not sure about how many people they take, but I remember the application form had to be posted along with passport photos. They then reviewed your application for suitability. I didn't hear back due to it being cancelled. Hopefully someone else can give some extra info x

Thanks for the info 👍🏻

On 2/2/2022 at 1:32 PM, ohmygod said:

Yes I got mine today - excited.   Fair play to them as well for carrying these over from 2020.   I suspect though that some people's lives and priorities may have changed since 2020 so could be some spaces coming free!

I’m on of those people who won’t be going anymore unfortunately! Unless they let me leave Sunday 

18 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

I was just wondering was there a list of all the Crew bars somewhere . I have been to four or five but there must be more than I haven't been to or not even aware they exist.. Some do need an additional wristband .

well I have never seen one although some Crew Bars ' only allows in their own crew ' {mainly the ones where the drink is sold at a reduced price} 

apart from my own Crew Bar the only one I have tried is Tow and Hitch (Arcadia Crew Bar) mainly because my team works in our own Crew Bar on the Tuesday night so not enough time to hunt them down.

but have a look at

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/229387-2019-crew-map/

Good luck

CREW-BAR.thumb.jpg.e10cbc9047df858d909b63f1ef451851.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

well I have never seen one although some Crew Bars ' only allows in their own crew ' {mainly the ones where the drink is sold at a reduced price} 

apart from my own Crew Bar the only one I have tried is Tow and Hitch (Arcadia Crew Bar) mainly because my team works in our own Crew Bar on the Tuesday night so not enough time to hunt them down.

but have a look at

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/229387-2019-crew-map/

Good luck

CREW-BAR.thumb.jpg.e10cbc9047df858d909b63f1ef451851.jpg

I'd like to see a full list. 

I've only been in The Tow & Hitch (Arcadia crew) and Maceos (Block 9 crew). 

Others I know the names of are Wallys (Shangri-La), and The Green Room (T&C Field).

Obviously most areas have one - any other names people can share? 

4 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I'd like to see a full list. 

I've only been in The Tow & Hitch (Arcadia crew) and Maceos (Block 9 crew). 

Others I know the names of are Wallys (Shangri-La), and The Green Room (T&C Field).

Obviously most areas have one - any other names people can share? 

Unfairground crew bar is called The Broke Britain.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404650339863693/

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Varies apparently, some will let you in, some won't. Some will let anyone in before the festival opens to the general public.

Ah sweet, cheers. First time hopefully volunteering this year so will be nice to visit a few of the crew bars.

15 minutes ago, EFC1996 said:

Are the crew bars open to all workers or is it just the crew for that specific area of the festival? 

I'm no expert but my experience in 2019 is the closer to the start of the festival the harder it is to access SOME of the staff bars. The secondary wrist band as mentioned earlier then kicks in at some of the bars.

On the Monday before we were getting in lots of Places but by the weekend of the festival we only bothered with Tow and Hitch and Broken Britain as only had standard staff band.

Also worth baring in mind that if you are meeting up with none working mates they deffo won't get in and it's not an easy jib.

On the crew bars last time I went to Maceos, Tow and Hitch, the Unfairground one and another in SE Corner.  Also did Acoustic (before festicsl) and West Holts as well as the recycling crew one

Edited by dondo

11 hours ago, EFC1996 said:

Are the crew bars open to all workers or is it just the crew for that specific area of the festival? 

11 hours ago, EFC1996 said:

Ah sweet, cheers. First time hopefully volunteering this year so will be nice to visit a few of the crew bars.

You will find ' before the gates open to the public ' that there is many Crew bars open ## and its at that point ' you have to help yourself ' ##

Its dead simple ' ask the bar staff !!! ' - they will let you know if you need a specific wrist band or not # and they may offer one to you - if you don't ask - you don't get #

-----------------

once the festival is open to the Public - areas that you could enter may or may not be closed off so you may find the bar specific wrist band will get you though.

One year { sorry after 40+ years attending Glastonbury I don't pay attention to actual dates any longer } I ran into a few guys who must have had 4 ' paper wrist bands ' { in various colours } each issued by various crew bars - god knows how they found the time.

If you are a Volunteer and its a large organisation they may have their own Crew bar {and if you are dead lucky - it may be cheaper than a normal bar} 

Everyone in the shot below is all workers {taking on a Tuesday night - before the gates open} - taking at the Bread and Roses.

2011-wbc-20.thumb.jpg.234a0615fdb48618a0ae7c6e646c6464.jpg

18 hours ago, EFC1996 said:

Last festival I had a T&C crew wristband which got me into Maceo's on the Weds. I asked the staff in Maceo's if I could have wristband for that bar so I could access it throughout the festival, they said I would just need my T&C wristband to get in unless it was really busy in there but they let me have a wristband (and a few more for my mates) anyway. I was also able to get into the Unfairground backstage bar and the Avalon Cafe backstage bar too - but that might have been because we played there, I can't remember. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, March Hare said:

Anyone noticed how quiet the Facebook page has been for Oxfam. Pre 2020 it’s was gaining 1000s of members and loads of posts. Feels eerily quiet. Maybe interest in stewarding has waned?

I'm not certain on this, but I believe that a lot of the 2020 increase in traffic was because they did quite a lot of targetted facebook advertising and the questions were a direct result - it could just be that's not happened this year.

8 minutes ago, incident said:

I'm not certain on this, but I believe that a lot of the 2020 increase in traffic was because they did quite a lot of targetted facebook advertising and the questions were a direct result - it could just be that's not happened this year.

Ah that makes sense. I didn’t realise that. I actually miss the random questions. Occasionally I wade in and try to answer them. Also, some of it is comedy gold

Yeah they did a big push in Jan/Feb of 2020 to sign up new volunteers, annoyed some of the regulars on that group who were...less then charitable to the newbies. They were quite disgruntled at always having to link to the FAQ, and hadn't quite realised that maybe there was a reason Oxfam wanted so many new volunteers.

55 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Yeah they did a big push in Jan/Feb of 2020 to sign up new volunteers, annoyed some of the regulars on that group who were...less then charitable to the newbies. They were quite disgruntled at always having to link to the FAQ, and hadn't quite realised that maybe there was a reason Oxfam wanted so many new volunteers.

You say that, but I think some quite enjoy it really.

Yeah, don't think there's going to be a shortage of volunteers this year. Seemed like every steward I spoke to last year was doing two festivals to get priority this year