Volunteering 2021

March Hare

On 1/24/2022 at 4:53 AM, garc1a said:

Finally time to start taking the occasional squint at the forum again. Its a few weeks too soon but i have been checking the inbox for a shelter email. Hoping the space is carried over again.. just hopeful checking on a daily basis looking for that confirmation! 🙂 

top tip and yearly reminder (to myself) ,, get tent up before cracking a cold one

Hi there mate - I have not spotted any of your recent posts but I don't look at Efest all that often these days { being distracted by Contractors who have been working on this Tower block for the past 8 Months and making a right racket } -

so Shelter/Avalon has not started the process - I am sure it will not be all that long - you know what its like - all quiet ' and then all the posts come in when all the places are up for grabs '   

11 hours ago, MrZigster said:

It definitely got to me. Combined with lack of sleep (our campsite backs onto The Naughty Corner) and the swamp like conditions in the bar tent I was in. They must have put it up when the ground was drenched and that, coupled with the sink just draining onto the floor (bucket emptier not up to the job)... Quagmire to say the least. Needed wellies but it was so hot that you didn't really want to be taking/wearing/carrying wellies so just drenched feet all shift. Probably better off than being outside though. Fuck it was hot. Proper heatstroke risk hot.

I went a bit psychotic at times methinks.

Not that I'm trying to put anyone off volunteering mind. I'd still do it in a flash if I had no ticket.

Just wish they'd move the campsite back to where it was near (ahem) Gate B when I first volunteered, rather than near (ahem, again) Gate C where it is now.

as you know Crew Camps are shuffled about all over the place - in the past 34 years the WBC crew site has moved ' more times than I can count ' - each time I get settled into a camp - its bloody moved - My Information is ' if Glasto goes ahead then its very likely the WBC are moving to a new spot - which may turn out to be a old spot { if you see what I mean } - if that is true - there could be other Crews moving up to 'Part of Dairy ground' as they wont leave that spot unoccupied.

There has been WBC crew sites 'inside the wall' and 'outside the wall' but one of the nearest {to the pyramid} is a area very close to where 'hospitality' is now and that was a very handy location.

so there could be a lot of shuffling about this year  ' so you never know where you may end up if you decide to go back to Avalon/shelter next year '

On 1/26/2022 at 9:43 PM, marathonsteve said:

So where do you get these ?   I have vaguely remember them being mentioned years ago as an aid to running training.

It's literally the same as dioralyte, the stuff you use if you have bad diarrhoea. 

Hangovers/Sunstroke are bad because you're losing not just water but all the sugar and salts that your body needs to live. That's why you crave crap food on a hangover, your body needs it. 

Oral rehydration solution (dioralyte) puts all that back into your body which is why its used for diarrhoea, but it also is great for hangovers where you've drank a shit load and then peed all that water back out without adding anything back.

Berocca is the same thing, but that sometimes contains caffeine/other energy stuff that aren't great for doing before bed. 

You can get it from boots or any chemist section in a supermarket, the own brand stuff doesn't taste great but I swear by it for festivals before bed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

It's literally the same as dioralyte, the stuff you use if you have bad diarrhoea. 

Hangovers/Sunstroke are bad because you're losing not just water but all the sugar and salts that your body needs to live. That's why you crave crap food on a hangover, your body needs it. 

Oral rehydration solution (dioralyte) puts all that back into your body which is why its used for diarrhoea, but it also is great for hangovers where you've drank a shit load and then peed all that water back out without adding anything back.

Berocca is the same thing, but that sometimes contains caffeine/other energy stuff that aren't great for doing before bed. 

You can get it from boots or any chemist section in a supermarket, the own brand stuff doesn't taste great but I swear by it for festivals before bed.

Thanks for that

8 minutes ago, not worthy said:

Oxfam page has been updated.

The festival list was just showing 'back in 2022', but now lists this years festivals.

Hopefully priority announcement soon

Login and profile functions are now back as well.  Previously, you couldn't login. 

Exciting! 

Capture.JPG

Edited by stuie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oxfam 

We're incredibly excited to tell you that priority stewarding applications will be opening mid-morning on Thursday 24th February!

Public stewarding applications will open on Tuesday 1st March. Please make sure you sign up to steward at the festivals you want before this, so you do not miss out.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, missnutmeg said:

When do Oxfam volunteers actually have to be on site can anyone remember? Or does it depend on your role? 🤔

By Tuesday afternoon latest but from Monday lunch onwards 😄

10 minutes ago, Stave_1974 said:

Beautiful Days doesn't seem to be on the list unless I've missed it ?!?

Good spot.. I've also noticed that they haven't confirmed their dates for 2022 yet which is slightly unusual.

3 minutes ago, missnutmeg said:

When do Oxfam volunteers actually have to be on site can anyone remember? Or does it depend on your role? 🤔

The latest would be Tuesday evening, though personally I'd recommend going on the Monday as the (relatively) empty site and Mon/Tue night bar crawl are one of the big benefits from working.

3 minutes ago, Isaac LK said:

Regarding glastonbury shifts with oxfam, when's the earliest you can get shifts for? like could you get a monday, tuesday, wednesday shift?

Not exactly.

There are early shifts, but they're both incredibly rare and earlier than that - they typically involve arriving Saturday and doing a shift on each of the Sunday, Monday and Tuesday before gates open. But apparently almost everyone applies for them and only a tiny percentage will get them.

For most people the shifts are spread fairly evenly across the 5 days of the festival with one Morning (6am start), one Afternoon (2pm start), and one Night (10pm start) each. There's exceptions on that as some gates don't operate overnight, and with some shifts being moved to account for demand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stave_1974 said:

Beautiful Days doesn't seem to be on the list unless I've missed it ?!?

4 hours ago, incident said:

Good spot.. I've also noticed that they haven't confirmed their dates for 2022 yet which is slightly unusual.

The latest would be Tuesday evening, though personally I'd recommend going on the Monday as the (relatively) empty site and Mon/Tue night bar crawl are one of the big benefits from working.

Just seen this on Facebook 

Screenshot_20220128-203709_Facebook.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Oxfam are saying you keep priority after 7 festivals within 7 years. Wasn’t it 10 in 10 previously?  It’s a great change for me. One more festival and it’s only 1 a year if need be. 

Yeah, previous (long term) criteria was 8 in at least 4 of the last 5 or 10 in 10.