Volunteering 2021

March Hare

On 1/21/2022 at 3:32 AM, MrZigster said:

I remember playing the waiting game with Shelter the last time the festival was held. Well behind their usual schedule they were. Tense isn't it.

Hi Mark - it is understandable as it could all appear to be on ## and then its Off ## as its impossible to know what it will be like in the summer - will send you a PM to fill you in. So ' if this was a normal year when does the Avalon/Shelter procedure start ?

You should have no problems ' even if the red tape has been delayed ' - good luck. 

5 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Hi Mark - it is understandable as it could all appear to be on ## and then its Off ## as its impossible to know what it will be like in the summer - will send you a PM to fill you in. So ' if this was a normal year when does the Avalon/Shelter procedure start ?

You should have no problems ' even if the red tape has been delayed ' - good luck. 

I'm fine for this year as I have a 2020 paid for ticket rolled over (I will really miss the crew bars though). It was 2019 pre covid I was on about.

Don't really know about Avalon but with Shelter it was always usually around now/early Feb we'd get the email iirc. 2019 they were a few weeks behind (again iirc) despite things said on twitter. I think a change in the people running things may have occurred. Knew not to worry too much as ear to the ground on here. Still always tense though.

Will reply to your PM when I have a bit more time. Just off a night shift then shopping and now going to bed for a few hours.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:11 PM, March Hare said:

We’ve booked a hotel in Bristol on the Sunday night. Monday morning, no alarm, brunch somewhere in the city centre, casual drive into the site just after lunch time. Better than driving all the way from North West and then pitching the tent after a long journey.  Looking forward to it already.

Bar meet on the Monday night ? 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I'm fine for this year as I have a 2020 paid for ticket rolled over (I will really miss the crew bars though). It was 2019 pre covid I was on about.

Don't really know about Avalon but with Shelter it was always usually around now/early Feb we'd get the email iirc. 2019 they were a few weeks behind (again iirc) despite things said on twitter. I think a change in the people running things may have occurred. Knew not to worry too much as ear to the ground on here. Still always tense though.

Will reply to your PM when I have a bit more time. Just off a night shift then shopping and now going to bed for a few hours.

My god ' you have gone over to the dark side ' - last ticket I bought was in 1987 - weekend ticket £21 bought at a CND office in London and the bottom photo was when we met up to hand out the tickets to my mates.

If I could not work it - I just would not go - you know what its like. 

No rush over the PM - keep well 

ps - Today  Thursday 22 January 2009  until Friday 6 March 2009 was when  I had daily Radiotherapy - it came up on FB - wont forget that time 

953044_n.jpg.ab15f18e9e1eb44e4c34e09d97665fac.jpg

978475_o.jpg.23649e370d8ffb9979bc8fbffbe25625.jpg

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Bar meet on the Monday night ? 

17 hours ago, March Hare said:

I think that would be fantastic - I’m in

17 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

And me!! 👍

11 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

I Might be there  !!!!!!!!

Count me in

27 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d suggest that someone might want to take a lead and suggest a venue and time … maybe a bit far from the festival yet … 

My favourite crew bar is either Maceos or the Accoustic tent one

21 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

I'm confirmed as lockup crew again! I sent in my paperwork last week, feels a bit more real now!

Out of interest what sort of shift patterns do the lockup people do ? And what benefits are there if this work ? I’m on a reserve list so I’m interested to hear your experiences . 

2 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I was there Monday night aswell , it was great but I think my favourite crew bar was the one by the crane

IMG-20190624-WA0020.jpg

Ah yes. The tow and hitch, forgot that one. That was great too.  There was a couple of other ones down in the SE corner that weren't too bad either. The one I didn't find/get to was the JP tent one. 

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Out of interest what sort of shift patterns do the lockup people do ? And what benefits are there if this work ? I’m on a reserve list so I’m interested to hear your experiences . 

We have to do 24 hours over the course of the festival, in 4 or 8 hour shifts. Usually with one being an 8 hour overnight one. Last time I did the final overnight shift, which flew by as we had a steady stream of people collecting till about 4am as they were leaving the festival.

There's loads of benefits to the job - job itself is straightforward and quite social, and it's under canvas! We also have our own camping area in Dairy Ground (with access to the showers!) The lockups are run by various different peace groups, and as we all camp together, there's usually someone around to chat to. One of the groups also does vegetarian catering that people can buy into beforehand which is really cheap.

As I go on my own, I enjoy the job & sense of security so much that if I wasn't doing the lockups, I wouldn't go.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, missnutmeg said:

How do you apply to be lock-up crew out of interest (for future reference) 😍

In my case, I know one set of the lockups organisers, and got asked if I'd be interested in filling in when they were short on volunteers one year! 

The groups that run the lockups are listed here http://www.festivallockups.org.uk/

Might be worth asking Crazyfool how he got on a shortlist?

36 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

We have to do 24 hours over the course of the festival, in 4 or 8 hour shifts. Usually with one being an 8 hour overnight one. Last time I did the final overnight shift, which flew by as we had a steady stream of people collecting till about 4am as they were leaving the festival.

There's loads of benefits to the job - job itself is straightforward and quite social, and it's under canvas! We also have our own camping area in Dairy Ground (with access to the showers!) The lockups are run by various different peace groups, and as we all camp together, there's usually someone around to chat to. One of the groups also does vegetarian catering that people can buy into beforehand which is really cheap.

As I go on my own, I enjoy the job & sense of security so much that if I wasn't doing the lockups, I wouldn't go.

The dream. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

In my case, I know one set of the lockups organisers, and got asked if I'd be interested in filling in when they were short on volunteers one year! 

The groups that run the lockups are listed here http://www.festivallockups.org.uk/

Might be worth asking Crazyfool how he got on a shortlist?

Thanks so much 🙏