Volunteering 2021

March Hare

4 hours ago, March Hare said:

I also expect the number to dip in 2023 because working Glasto/festivals just isn’t enjoyable for many people.  Just a guess based on no science. 

I find that odd, maybe I've lucked out with shift patterns and customers but access to showers, usually nicer toilets, crew food (admittedly not always great) and a night shift giving me an excuse not to do a 5 day continuous bender. 

Great fun.

9 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I find that odd, maybe I've lucked out with shift patterns and customers but access to showers, usually nicer toilets, crew food (admittedly not always great) and a night shift giving me an excuse not to do a 5 day continuous bender. 

Great fun.

I've said before many times that I wouldn't do Glastonbury any other way but I can see why it wouldn't be for some. The strongest thing I consume these days is caffeine so the fact I can't go nuts for 5 days isn't an issue for me anymore, but for some it would be. I'm also not that fussed about missing a 'must see' but again, for some that's a major issue. Between me and my friends we've had a few horror shifts and awful punters but we've all been doing it long enough (and all work/worked in customer service jobs) that they just become funny anecdotes afterwards but some might get upset by something like that. And as much as they talk about the friendliness etc, I'd imagine some people have had pretty lonely experiences that weren't expecting. Even just having a shit supervisor might ruin it for someone.

6 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I've said before many times that I wouldn't do Glastonbury any other way but I can see why it wouldn't be for some. The strongest thing I consume these days is caffeine so the fact I can't go nuts for 5 days isn't an issue for me anymore, but for some it would be. I'm also not that fussed about missing a 'must see' but again, for some that's a major issue. Between me and my friends we've had a few horror shifts and awful punters but we've all been doing it long enough (and all work/worked in customer service jobs) that they just become funny anecdotes afterwards but some might get upset by something like that. And as much as they talk about the friendliness etc, I'd imagine some people have had pretty lonely experiences that weren't expecting. Even just having a shit supervisor might ruin it for someone.

When I worked on the Stonebridge bar in 2019 I had two people be rude/have a go at me across the entire time I was there, one girl complained that the coca-cola she was charged £2.50 for was out of a large bottle that cost a fraction of what she was being charged, and a couple started shouting at me because I wouldn't give them ice for free (we were told not to) when I tried explaining that a) the bar had bought it so it wasn't free and b) it was only to put in drinks they started shouting it was just frozen water and should have been free....sigh...the odd other person got a bit short with queues and certain drinks selling out but was mostly fine.

4 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

When I worked on the Stonebridge bar in 2019 I had two people be rude/have a go at me across the entire time I was there, one girl complained that the coca-cola she was charged £2.50 for was out of a large bottle that cost a fraction of what she was being charged, and a couple started shouting at me because I wouldn't give them ice for free (we were told not to) when I tried explaining that a) the bar had bought it so it wasn't free and b) it was only to put in drinks they started shouting it was just frozen water and should have been free....sigh...the odd other person got a bit short with queues and certain drinks selling out but was mostly fine.

so you were with Avalon {shelter} and I am sure they would have had the prices
on display on a Big board so really they cant Complain - sure they don't have a clue how much the actual production costs are but they could have gone down to the CO-OP Shop and bought the Coke there.

Ice has always been a problem as it cost money to store it and to keep it cold 24/7

I used to stop people by pointing them to a local shop in Shepton Mallet - that soon shut them up.

Actually most of the time Punters are not a problem at Glastonbury compared to some other festivals I have worked at - Reading used to be a right cracker but they tend to chance their arm with young female servers and would then get a shock when I would replace the server to take their order - I think it was the Glaswegian accent that would upset them but they soon stopped their messing about.

The Stonebridge bar used to be run by the WBC - never worked it but did work in The Park Bar the first year it was open - smaller but No stage.

general-park-area.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker
tidy

On 10/15/2021 at 8:28 PM, glasto-worker said:

so you were with Avalon {shelter} and I am sure they would have had the prices
on display on a Big board so really they cant Complain - sure they don't have a clue how much the actual production costs are but they could have gone down to the CO-OP Shop and bought the Coke there.

Ice has always been a problem as it cost money to store it and to keep it cold 24/7

I used to stop people by pointing them to a local shop in Shepton Mallet - that soon shut them up.

Actually most of the time Punters are not a problem at Glastonbury compared to some other festivals I have worked at - Reading used to be a right cracker but they tend to chance their arm with young female servers and would then get a shock when I would replace the server to take their order - I think it was the Glaswegian accent that would upset them but they soon stopped their messing about.

The Stonebridge bar used to be run by the WBC - never worked it but did work in The Park Bar the first year it was open - smaller but No stage.

general-park-area.jpg

They did have the prices, I think the girl was upset because it was just a small cup (similar used for a spirit and mixer) with some ice for £2.50 rather than a big pint cup.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, gooner1990 said:

They did have the prices, I think the girl was upset because it was just a small cup (similar used for a spirit and mixer) with some ice for £2.50 rather than a big pint cup.

I know the cup you mean - its a small stumpy cup { less than half a 1/2 pint cup }

I suspect there must have been a cup shortage as its not common to use that for coke.

+ the price should have been adjusted but I know in a busy bar pricing mistakes do happen { by the tent Manager } 

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Saw this yesterday … is it any of you lot ? Things heading in the right direction still 

981EF21C-5C4C-4E0F-8132-9D107C18CE38.jpeg

Yes. For veterans only at this stage as got my email yesterday. Paid my deposit and chosen my shifts. Fingers crossed 🤞 for the pre-festival ones. 

7 minutes ago, dondo said:

Yes. For veterans only at this stage as got my email yesterday. Paid my deposit and chosen my shifts. Fingers crossed 🤞 for the pre-festival ones. 

All good news … things moving in the right direction … did you get this email the last few years ? Out of interest 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

All good news … things moving in the right direction … did you get this email the last few years ? Out of interest 

Yes same time every year, veterans first & recommendations after if any spaces are free. Over the years I think there have been less reccos as more people return. My favourite email of the year 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yes as @Giraffe Man says.  Timing of email does vary but veterans 1st and then those who have worked before but not veterans. Any spots left go to those recommended by people who have worked before. But those numbers are dwindling as generally when people get on the crew they come back each year. I recommended someone in 2016 and they got in but in 2019 my recommendation didn't get in. 

3 hours ago, dondo said:

Yes as @Giraffe Man says.  Timing of email does vary but veterans 1st and then those who have worked before but not veterans. Any spots left go to those recommended by people who have worked before. But those numbers are dwindling as generally when people get on the crew they come back each year. I recommended someone in 2016 and they got in but in 2019 my recommendation didn't get in. 

The time draws near

36 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

How is recycling crew? Is it everyday at the crack of dawn? Not sure I could do that. Is it also filthy work or no too bad?

There are a number of different teams you can work on. Some are early mornings (6am or 7am starts) some are afternoons and some alternate between the both. There are also veterans shifts that are pre festival or are day shifts. So depending on whether you want to party in the naughty corner or see bands in the afternoon may influence their preference of shifts. I have mostly done early morning litter picking as didn't want to miss too many bands. That wasn't too mucky but I worked 1 year in the recycling centre and that was mucky work but pretty busy so the shift went pretty quickly 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Giraffe Man said:

Fingers crossed too but we always ask for the same shift at the same place & have always got it.

I've asked for the pre festival shifts but they are always over subscribed. In 2019 I think I got my 4th preference