Volunteering 2021

March Hare

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

@dondo

It seems the recycling crew are starting to get ready?

Screenshot_20211010-212218-986.png

@vintagelaureate

Yep, got my email on Friday, got bit excited as making the festival seem that wee bit closer.

Have booked my leave for next year too 😀

Edited by dondo
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

The incredibly daft questions have started to appear on the Oxfam Facebook group. That’s actually a good sign.

2020 applications opened in January and 2021 in April. Anyone’s guess when it will be for 2022

I reckon a normal year for 2022 festivals, so mid January. 

I'm actually kinda pumped because I only need to do two more Oxfam ones next year to ensure I can qualify for priority through to 2029 with just one festival a year. So Glastonbury if I don't get regular tickets.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I reckon a normal year for 2022 festivals, so mid January. 

I'm actually kinda pumped because I only need to do two more Oxfam ones next year to ensure I can qualify for priority through to 2029 with just one festival a year. So Glastonbury if I don't get regular tickets.

Getting close myself, although I like doing two as I use my second (both this year) to try out new festivals for free.

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2021 at 5:43 PM, March Hare said:

Getting close myself, although I like doing two as I use my second (both this year) to try out new festivals for free.

Yeah, I already qualify for the long service priority but still like to do two a year. Nice to know I don't have to though.

Could be interesting next year with priority status carrying over plus a load of people doing two festivals this year to get priority too. Could be way more priority applicants than usual

6 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Yeah, I already qualify for the long service priority but still like to do two a year. Nice to know I don't have to though.

Could be interesting next year with priority status carrying over plus a load of people doing two festivals this year to get priority too. Could be way more priority applicants than usual

What is long service priority? 🤔

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I agree there will be more but thankfully not enough to fill Glasto in priority.  I also expect the number to dip in 2023 because working Glasto/festivals just isn’t enjoyable for many people.  Just a guess based on no science. 

Quirk of 2022 will be stewards with priority who have never worked a festival (those who volunteered but their festivals were cancelled).

5 minutes ago, missnutmeg said:

What is long service priority? 🤔

Experienced and long-term returning stewards also qualify for priority status, if one of the following applies:

• You have held a supervisor role at festivals for us for the previous 2 years.
  • You have volunteered at 7 or more festivals in the previous 7 years*.

Used to be 10 in 10, plus one other that I can't remember. 

6 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I agree there will be more but thankfully not enough to fill Glasto in priority.  I also expect the number to dip in 2023 because working Glasto/festivals just isn’t enjoyable for many people.  Just a guess based on no science. 

Quirk of 2022 will be stewards with priority who have never worked a festival (those who volunteered but their festivals were cancelled).

Could be tight for Glasto I reckon. I always do it on the first day anyway but definitely will next year. I think you're right about 2023. There are a lot of people who only do it once

8 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Experienced and long-term returning stewards also qualify for priority status, if one of the following applies:

OK, thanks 😊 

11 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

If they count 2020 festivals that didn’t take place - I’ve got 7 in 7 🎉

I thought it was still 10 in 10. 

It’s academic as I’ll be at 2 in 2022 but good to know.

11 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Could be tight for Glasto I reckon. I always do it on the first day anyway but definitely will next year. I think you're right about 2023. There are a lot of people who only do it once

Definitely going to do it on day one. Can’t chance it

4 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Definitely going to do it on day one. Can’t chance it

Any thoughts on when ‘Day 1’ is likely to be? I have a ski trip booked end Jan/first week of Feb so hoping it won’t be then as it may be tricky to apply from a remote location.

I already have an Oxfam volunteering account, do I need to update it/change anything to apply for Glasto next year? 😬

2 minutes ago, missnutmeg said:

Any thoughts on when ‘Day 1’ is likely to be? I have a ski trip booked end Jan/first week of Feb so hoping it won’t be then as it may be tricky to apply from a remote location.

I already have an Oxfam volunteering account, do I need to update it/change anything to apply for Glasto next year? 😬

2020 (the last normal year) was 29 Jan for priority and a week later for everyone else.  They announced that on 23 Jan so you get a week to get organised and this thread tends to come alive around then.

Having an account is the main thing, you update it after you have registered for a festival/paid a deposit.  It’s worth “registering your interest” each year as it makes sure you stay on their mailing list - at least that’s the advice from the Facebook group.

1 minute ago, March Hare said:

2020 (the last normal year) was 29 Jan for priority and a week later for everyone else.  They announced that on 23 Jan so you get a week to get organised and this thread tends to come alive around then.

Having an account is the main thing, you update it after you have registered for a festival/paid a deposit.  It’s worth “registering your interest” each year as it makes sure you stay on their mailing list - at least that’s the advice from the Facebook group.

OK thanks, I volunteered at Latitude this year with Oxfam (other events I applied/got accepted for got cancelled in the end but still count towards priority I believe), so was just wondering if I could use that same account to apply quickly for Glasto next year as I’m likely going to be in the mountains somewhere 😬

1 minute ago, missnutmeg said:

OK thanks, I volunteered at Latitude this year with Oxfam (other events I applied/got accepted for got cancelled in the end but still count towards priority I believe), so was just wondering if I could use that same account to apply quickly for Glasto next year as I’m likely going to be in the mountains somewhere 😬

You will need to use the same account as the priority will be linked to it 👍🏽

If for any reason you don’t get the priority email, just phone the office and they sort it.

Edited by March Hare

22 minutes ago, March Hare said:

You will need to use the same account as the priority will be linked to it 👍🏽

If for any reason you don’t get the priority email, just phone the office and they sort it.

Many thanks, just one other question, when applying for Glasto via priority, do I have to commit to another festival at that same time, not a problem to do other festivals, just that next year is already looking pretty full with festivals rolled over from the last two years (as a punter), so I’d need to be sure I can actually make the date for another festival (limited annual leave unfortunately) 🤔

8 minutes ago, missnutmeg said:

Many thanks, just one other question, when applying for Glasto via priority, do I have to commit to another festival at that same time, not a problem to do other festivals, just that next year is already looking pretty full with festivals rolled over from the last two years (as a punter), so I’d need to be sure I can actually make the date for another festival (limited annual leave unfortunately) 🤔

Nope. Some organizations do that (Festaff for one) but not Oxfam