Volunteering 2021

March Hare

Just now, Pinhead said:

All I've read says that there will be stewards there, but not necessarily from Oxfam, but you'd think that they would engage them to do it given their experience and relationship with the festival.

In all honesty, I wouldn't expect them to draft in Oxfam - it'd just be easier and more local-friendly to call in some of the PTAs, sports clubs, community groups, etc that steward venues and campsites during the normal festival. Between them, they've got access to more people than Oxfam normally bring.

Oxfam and water aid generally do the festival the local groups have supported pilton party!! Behind the scenes of the festival there is a huge team of volunteers from local community groups who steward to raise money for their groups!! There is a lot of local support from festival funds which is not always portrayed in the media!! 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had anyone heard back from water aid about worthy pastures volunteering?  They say they’re doing a rolling recruitment so no actual closing date but would be good to know whether any places had been allocated yet. 

Just had an email from water aid saying they’re not sending out offers for festivals and worthy pastures yet as they’re waiting on the government decision on 14th June lockdown easing.. but if you applied for worthy pastures you almost definitely have a place.  Sounds positive!  Quite excited about the chance to spend 5 days on the farm 🙂

On 6/9/2021 at 1:34 PM, Pipine said:

Just had an email from water aid saying they’re not sending out offers for festivals and worthy pastures yet as they’re waiting on the government decision on 14th June lockdown easing.. but if you applied for worthy pastures you almost definitely have a place.  Sounds positive!  Quite excited about the chance to spend 5 days on the farm 🙂

Makes sense, few of the Oxfam festivals released their places later for the same reason

12 hours ago, Pipine said:

Got my offer of a place at Worthy Pastures with Water Aid today… massively excited to spend a few days on the farm this year and see how lovely it is minus the festival 🙂 

What shifts did they give you out of interest? We are hoping to take kids and will get our offer next week.

27 minutes ago, ormondroydste said:

What shifts did they give you out of interest? We are hoping to take kids and will get our offer next week.

Doesn’t say in detail just that they’re between 7.30am and 8.30pm .. 

• Like 1

Also on the WaterAid shopkeeper role for a week or so. Late July. Will be interesting I reckon.   Intending to make the most of a week away from the last 16 months of weirdness and meeting people from far and wide.

I went down my pub shed last night and a quick glance at Glastonbury corner gave me a bit of a neck mohican.

On the Tor Monday evening 26th July with a flagon of Hecks. Last one to the tower is less fit than I am ☺️

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Oxfam are still looking for volunteers at Wilderness, Reading, Leeds, Shambino, and NASS if anyone is interested.

https://oxfamapps.org.uk/festivals/

That’s a decent choice so late in the summer. I can only do one with Oxfam this summer but would normally bag two to keep my priority for glasto

Edited by March Hare

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if Emily Eavis talks to your referees herself, if she likes them; or thinks they’ll be good for her career. I sent in an application to Oxfam a few years ago and I put a lecturer from St Andrews on it. I did this because I hadn’t had a job , since attending that University. 

I didn’t get the reference. I didn’t want to make a nuisance of myself so I didn’t contact the guy. But I reckon Emily saw his name on the Oxfam form somehow. Then I reckon she thought I’d given her an introduction to my lecturer. I reckon she then rang him. And then told him not to send the reference. Does anyone else suspect such foul play.

Edited by stt11

4 minutes ago, stt11 said:

Does anyone know if Emily Eavis talks to your referees herself, if she likes them; or thinks they’ll be good for her career. I sent in an application to Oxfam a few years ago and I put a lecturer from St Andrews on it. I did this because I hadn’t had a job , since attending that University. 

I didn’t get the reference. I didn’t want to make a nuisance of myself so I didn’t contact the guy. But I reckon Emily saw his name on the Oxfam form somehow. Then I reckon she thought I’d given her an introduction to my lecturer. I reckon she then rang him. And then told him not to send the reference. Does anyone else suspect such foul play.

I mean honestly do u think she has the time or inclination to recruit the volunteers ? … that are being recruited by charities … I think her inbox might be a little full to be going through individual applications 😂

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I mean honestly do u think she has the time or inclination to recruit the volunteers ? … that are being recruited by charities … I think her inbox might be a little full to be going through individual applications 😂

I don’t know. But I wouldn’t put it past her. My academic life has been quite unstable with regard to references. One lecturer, that had refused me a reference, many years ago, actually, invented wormhole theory. Emily has a whole stage devoted to the theory of wormhole time travel; at the festival. 

On 9/5/2021 at 12:11 PM, stt11 said:

The Oxfam reference process is very simple, a few tick boxes about the persons trustworthiness and then name, email and profession.  No free text reference required and no phone calls.

2 hours ago, March Hare said:

The Oxfam reference process is very simple, a few tick boxes about the persons trustworthiness and then name, email and profession.  No free text reference required and no phone calls.

I preferred the old system. Where decent, hard working individuals were given an honest wage for a hard days graft.