Volunteering 2021

March Hare

23 minutes ago, incident said:

The law allows for up to 20 days to be rolled over into either (or a combination of) 2021 or 2022.

But it seems that lots of employers are being selective as to how much of that (if any) they make available to employees hence the huge disparity - I know of people who've been allowed to take full advantage of the law, and I know people who've been told none whatsoever. That's the problem when the legislation on the subject has been drafted (probably deliberately) in such a vague way.

I was initially told I could only carry 5 days across, and after protesting it I've been allowed to roll 10 days over but only as far as December 2021.

We're not allowed to carry any over unless there are exceptional circumstances and it has to be authorised by the area manager rather than the manager like usual. Essentially that means most of us taking it while furloughed. Bit frustrating, but I've got numerous other issues with my employers, decided this wasn't the hill I was going to die on. Pick your battles

2 hours ago, incident said:

The law allows for up to 20 days to be rolled over into either (or a combination of) 2021 or 2022.

Only if you have been unable to take it, isn't it? You can't simply choose to do that because it suits you.

There are temporary provisions under the amended WTR Act re Covid, but the employer still has a duty to ensure you take your AL in any particular year.

The exception would be if you were not permitted to take leave due to Covid demand, or of you were sick/injured/pregnancy etc.

Edited by Copperface

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Only if you have been unable to take it, isn't it? You simply can't choose to do that.

And that's only temporary provisions under the amended WTR Act.

The way they've written the part about if someone is unable to take their leave is (again, presumably deliberately) vague, and the guidance document published alongside the legislation does include cancelled/changed holiday plans as an example of when it might be applied. So I'm not sure that the distinction matters - the net effect is that most people will be able to choose to do so to the extent laid down by their employer.

In all honesty I could have easily found time within the year to take the 10 days I'm carrying over. I chose not to do so because I see them as more useful in 2021 (actually, I wanted them in 2022 but they flat out weren't prepared to do that and to push it any further would have meant going external which isn't a realistic option).

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, DeadAmos said:

There will be plenty on the priority list as there are many ways to qualify,

Oh yeah it won't be zero. How many people usually qualify under the 8+ festivals rule over five year? My assumption is that most get it under the 2 festivals last year rule but no data to support that.

They'll definitely need to re-jig the rules for it.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Oh yeah it won't be zero. How many people usually qualify under the 8+ festivals rule over five year? My assumption is that most get it under the 2 festivals last year rule but no data to support that.

They'll definitely need to re-jig the rules for it.

That appears to have changed to 7 festivals in 7 years?? Which means I only need to get one under my belt this year to qualify for priority in 2022. Things are suddenly not so bleak! 

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 15.58.51.png

26 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

That appears to have changed to 7 festivals in 7 years?? Which means I only need to get one under my belt this year to qualify for priority in 2022. Things are suddenly not so bleak! 

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 15.58.51.png

Oo interesting.

They used to have 2 multi year priority.

8 in five years or 10 in ten years. This looks like they've combined them into just the one window.

So if I managed to do 2 festivals this year (god knows how) I'd "only" have 3 to go. Lovely stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...