Volunteering 2021

March Hare

39 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Ahh this actually made me cry with happiness!! Probably wud have been one of the team!! We were stood at the road bit near block 9 and the entrance in just as you come through the gates!! I absolutely love it people are so friendly and having a good time!! We are usually dancing around and generally making fools of ourselves!! Ive usually lost my voice by early morning lots of tired people going home absolute carnage tears tiredness all sorts!! We are generally there to make sure people are ok give directions to get somewhere else show them where the toilets are!! We get many random requests!!! You should give it a go it’s great fun!! 

Definitely sounds like your team! Always were really helpful. Who do you volunteer/steward with? 

We love it when we see people enjoying them selves and having fun!! It keeps us going especially at the 4am slot when we are knackered and sober!! I think the interaction and talking keeps us awake!! It’s directly with the festival!! They have their own teams they train up etc and you work with them and the festival donate your wages to a local charity!! If I hear of any updates I will let you know! 

Edited by funkychick2007
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 3:55 PM, marathonsteve said:

I think we are all talking about the same bar. Yes Its the crew bar we seem to spend most time in

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

nice shots - never saw it that quiet

I know the WBC are planning to move Crew Camp ' again ' { its the 8th time they have moved } but to where I am not so sure - 

for some years we were near ' The Outdoor Cinema '  { red dot }

Very handy location but one year as it was windy the screens were lost from part of the fence which then exposed some of the supply trucks full of drink which then caused lots of Jokers trying to climb in and steal some alcohol so we moved again to a better hidden location.

I suspect the new location will be further away from the Tow and hitch - time will tell .  

Glastonbury-Map-2008.jpg.623091b0519ecfdfb07617ee86fe691e.jpg

12 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

We love it when we see people enjoying them selves and having fun!! It keeps us going especially at the 4am slot when we are knackered and sober!! I think the interaction and talking keeps us awake!! It’s directly with the festival!! They have their own teams they train up etc and you work with them and the festival donate your wages to a local charity!! If I hear of any updates I will let you know! 

Exactly, I had the Saturday night shift on the worthy view gate and I really enjoyed it ...apart from missing the chems but asking people who they'd watched and seeing them buzzing was great. Also having my dinner at 3am in the posh eating place was fun 😊

16 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

im considering oxfam .... maybe ....

If you do end up volunteering I can't see you ever wanting to buy a ticket again. Until experienced, nobody can imagine the pleasure of being on site during the last few days before the show opens. Many crew say that those days are the best part of the festival.

Obviously I'd say absolutely go for it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

If you do end up volunteering I can't see you ever wanting to buy a ticket again. Until experienced, nobody can imagine the pleasure of being on site during the last few days before the show opens. Many crew say that those days are the best part of the festival.

The extra days and a back issue are something I need to balance out ... apart from that I think I’d be jumping at it ... 

51 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

44 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The extra days and a back issue are something I need to balance out ... apart from that I think I’d be jumping at it ... 

I agree Sawdusty I love it I start packing in January and get invovled in January when they start planning and decision making it’s a whole different world you come across seeing and being part of it coming together is great!!! I’m
I really suffer with my health and was worried but interestingly cope much better working as you have a longer time to explore!! Happy to pm you with a bit more detail how I manage it also the recovery time after is a lot quicker! 

9 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

Ive never found any of the other crew bars!! I think we found the entrance to Macios but it was just before we went on a shift so never went in!! It’s another part of Glastonbury exploring all the hidden places!! Always somewhere new to enjoy!!! 

The one in the Unfairground (entrance is on the right as you enter the field from the old railway) is a personal favourite. Oddly enough I don't think I've ever actually made it to Maceos, although I do know where it is!

11 minutes ago, waltere said:

The one in the Unfairground (entrance is on the right as you enter the field from the old railway) is a personal favourite. Oddly enough I don't think I've ever actually made it to Maceos, although I do know where it is!

Thts confused me I thought tht was Maceos!!! I’m hopeless!!! 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, waltere said:

1 hour ago, funkychick2007 said:

Thts confused me I thought tht was Maceos!!! I’m hopeless!!! 🤣🤣

I found it hard to find at first but its a lively place

IMG_0189.jpg

3 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I tried to tempt him with ‘parking the next field over from your tent’ 😂

Ha ha!!! Don’t be saying tht !!!! No wonder @crazyfool1 hasn’t made a decision I’ve probably scared him off!!!! 
I wonder how many different teams/work we all volunteer or for on here. 

6 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Ha ha!!! Don’t be saying tht !!!! No wonder @crazyfool1 hasn’t made a decision I’ve probably scared him off!!!! 
I wonder how many different teams/work we all volunteer or for on here. 

I think quite a few which is great if anyone has questions about how to get into it. Without the forum I wouldn’t have thought to give it a go.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:21 AM, glasto-worker said:

nice shots - never saw it that quiet

I know the WBC are planning to move Crew Camp ' again ' { its the 8th time they have moved } but to where I am not so sure - 

for some years we were near ' The Outdoor Cinema '  { red dot }

Very handy location but one year as it was windy the screens were lost from part of the fence which then exposed some of the supply trucks full of drink which then caused lots of Jokers trying to climb in and steal some alcohol so we moved again to a better hidden location.

I suspect the new location will be further away from the Tow and hitch - time will tell .  

Glastonbury-Map-2008.jpg.623091b0519ecfdfb07617ee86fe691e.jpg

I came on site Sunday last time. I was gob smacked by how many people were already there and I was blown away how much they still had to do building wise, even the Ribbon Tower wasn't complete. All came good in the End.

Edited by marathonsteve

24 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b87e3458d4169bb722b964af450f9de1.jpegThis was Monday evening at 10.45pm!!! It was incredible watching it all come together!! The sky was beautiful too! 

Yes still not done, but as you say its incredible watching  it all come together. Your thinking to your self, why have they left it so late, but off course they know the completion date don't they  !!!

26 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Yes still not done, but as you say its incredible watching  it all come together. Your thinking to your self, why have they left it so late, but off course they know the completion date don't they  !!!

I hadn't really thought but I guess it's like doing any big DIY project, the cosmetic stuff at the end doesn't actually take that long but it's the structural stuff you can't really see that takes ages.

34 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I hadn't really thought but I guess it's like doing any big DIY project, the cosmetic stuff at the end doesn't actually take that long but it's the structural stuff you can't really see that takes ages.

I do a fair few festivals but the Girls and Guys are working up to the last minute till the Paying customers come in. Truly wondrous.