Volunteering 2021

March Hare

10 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

yes it is - the plan was to see the CO-OP shop but I received a message from a friend saying they were in that Bar so we took a wander up - we got in but  it was so busy we failed to find the friend.

Later on a message was sent by my Tent Manager who has asked for some of my Team to work that night {on the Tuesday it was likely that some of us would work as its a Crew bar} but each Year I allow one of the team to make up the rota but she had not arrived by that stage so we all showed up.

it all got sorted out.

We normally head down to the bread and Roses { Glasto 2011 night before the gates open } but as I cant walk very far and all the buggy drivers were busy we decided to skip it in 2019. 

2011-wbc-20.thumb.jpg.234a0615fdb48618a0ae7c6e646c6464.jpg

I seem to remember there were a load of Security people on the door as well at that bar from the Sunday I think. The coop  is Big

6 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

I seem to remember there were a load of Security people on the door as well at that bar from the Sunday I think. The coop  is Big

which bar  ?

The staff on the Tuesday  {crew bar near Arcadia} were handing out tokens when people returned their glasses - forget what the deposit was but lets say £2 each 

on the Wednesday the staff  claimed ' they did not hand out tokens on the Tuesday ' 

Now I know the token came from that bar and lucky enough I spotted the female who handed out our tokens so I called her over.

Turns out ' they were running two systems on the Tuesday '

1/2 the bar was handing back the cash deposit and 1/2 was handing out tokens

## its a good way to make money as they know most people would not have the time to return on the Sunday ##

Tuesday and Sunday night is our two very busy nights so I certainly did not have time to get the cash back { as I bought the first round I have ended up with 6 plastic tokens }

so provided I don't drop down dead ' I will be using them the next time Glastonbury is on '

I am sure they will claim they did not come from that bar but I know they did. 

there was no Notice up warning people ' tokens had to be cashed in on the Sunday ' { as they are supposed to do }

Yes that CO-OP shop was big 

14 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

which bar  ?

The staff on the Tuesday  {crew bar near Arcadia} were handing out tokens when people returned their glasses - forget what the deposit was but lets say £2 each 

on the Wednesday the staff  claimed ' they did not hand out tokens on the Tuesday ' 

Now I know the token came from that bar and lucky enough I spotted the female who handed out our tokens so I called her over.

Turns out ' they were running two systems on the Tuesday '

1/2 the bar was handing back the cash deposit and 1/2 was handing out tokens

## its a good way to make money as they know most people would not have the time to return on the Sunday ##

Tuesday and Sunday night is our two very busy nights so I certainly did not have time to get the cash back { as I bought the first round I have ended up with 6 plastic tokens }

so provided I don't drop down dead ' I will be using them the next time Glastonbury is on '

I am sure they will claim they did not come from that bar but I know they did. 

there was no Notice up warning people ' tokens had to be cashed in on the Sunday ' { as they are supposed to do }

Yes that CO-OP shop was big 

I seem to recall it was the Acardia Bar because I was so surprised as Security are normally on there when the festival gets going. I bring my own reusable pint cup.

20 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

I seem to recall it was the Acardia Bar because I was so surprised as Security are normally on there when the festival gets going. I bring my own reusable pint cup.

well 100% it was a Crew bar as the outside wall was covered in warnings about it being a Crew Bar - the times I was in there was lots of Security checking the wrist bands { right hand side } although the guys at the exit { left hand side } were not really paying attention - I was even able to get up on the viewing platform which was interesting.

The tow and hitch benhind Pangea is amazing crew bar viewing platforms sofas beds fire pits etc!! Spent from Monday to Tuesday pretty much in there!! My favourite days are Monday Tuesday Wednesday watching the site being built and the atmosphere is great!!! Then another atmosphere working the rest of the week!! Love it so much!!! 

10 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

The tow and hitch benhind Pangea is amazing crew bar viewing platforms sofas beds fire pits etc!! Spent from Monday to Tuesday pretty much in there!! My favourite days are Monday Tuesday Wednesday watching the site being built and the atmosphere is great!!! Then another atmosphere working the rest of the week!! Love it so much!!! 

I think we are all talking about the same bar. Yes Its the crew bar we seem to spend most time in

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

7 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

What do you all actually do to qualify to get into these crew bars? 

Work two 10hr shifts in the south east corner 8pm to 6am stewarding!! It’s the best fun ever!! There also lots of other crew bars scattered around!!! Depends which area you work in where you can get in!! There are also the catering tents and hot showers!!! 

8 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

I suppose essentially you need a wristband that will get you on site before it opens to paying customers. It doesn't matter about the hours you work or volunteer for.

It does vary a bit by bar, and by whether it's before or after gates open.

For example I've always understood it that the T+C, JazzWorld, and Acoustic Stage bars tend to be a bit more choosy about who they let in and when, and so it helps if you can get a dedicated wristband from them which may be easier to do before gates open.

But yeah for some of them (specifically Arcadia and the SE corner), any wristband that isn't General Public or Hospitality should usually be enough to get entry.

6 minutes ago, incident said:

It does vary a bit by bar, and by whether it's before or after gates open.

For example I've always understood it that the T+C, JazzWorld, and Acoustic Stage bars tend to be a bit more choosy about who they let in and when, and so it helps if you can get a dedicated wristband from them which may be easier to do before gates open.

But yeah for some of them (specifically Arcadia and the SE corner), any wristband that isn't General Public or Hospitality should usually be enough to get entry.

It does vary from crew bar to crew bar. We turned up at the Acoustic crew bar one year before the festival got going and they were very happy to take our money. Once it started we weren't allowed in. So our cash will be going elsewhere. 

Just now, March Hare said:

When the punters arrive I don’t tend to go to the crew bars. So much other stuff going on and other places to hang out.

Yeah, but if you happen to be near one and you want a drink, they're usually cheaper and some have a better selection than the public bars.

I went the crew bars Monday and Tuesday night but didn't go again once the festival started but alot of other Oxfam volunteers asked for wristbands from the crew bars so they could get back in from the Thursday. I'll do the same in 2022 because like mentioned above it can be closer to get a beer 🍺🍺🍺

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

That viewing platfrom was great for watching Pangaea.

IMG_20190625_221111921.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2020 at 6:17 PM, funkychick2007 said:

Work two 10hr shifts in the south east corner 8pm to 6am stewarding!! It’s the best fun ever!! There also lots of other crew bars scattered around!!! Depends which area you work in where you can get in!! There are also the catering tents and hot showers!!! 

Were you high fiveing people at the queueing gates on the way in?

I remember that steward so clear, was in 2 minds about heading to bed and it cheered me right up!

19 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Were you high fiveing people at the queueing gates on the way in?

I remember that steward so clear, was in 2 minds about heading to bed and it cheered me right up!

Ahh this actually made me cry with happiness!! Probably wud have been one of the team!! We were stood at the road bit near block 9 and the entrance in just as you come through the gates!! I absolutely love it people are so friendly and having a good time!! We are usually dancing around and generally making fools of ourselves!! Ive usually lost my voice by early morning lots of tired people going home absolute carnage tears tiredness all sorts!! We are generally there to make sure people are ok give directions to get somewhere else show them where the toilets are!! We get many random requests!!! You should give it a go it’s great fun!!