Volunteering 2021

March Hare

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Also it's a great way to get into other festivals if you have the time (we all have loads of leave carried over right?!)

Once you pay one deposit you can choose as many festivals as you want.

unfortunately many companies won't carry over leave ... we have had to take any we have booked 😞 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

? I didn't know that ? 

The law says -

10) Where in any leave year it was not reasonably practicable for a worker to take some or all of the leave to which the worker was entitled under this regulation as a result of the effects of coronavirus (including on the worker, the employer or the wider economy or society), the worker shall be entitled to carry forward such untaken leave as provided for in paragraph (11).

(11) Leave to which paragraph (10) applies may be carried forward and taken in the two leave years immediately following the leave year in respect of which it was due.

It's vague enough to be arguable, but I argued it with partial success.

Problem is that it's one of those things where arguing it is probably going to cause too much friction than is worthwhile which is why I didn't push it as far as I wanted to.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, incident said:

The law says -

Problem is that it's one of those things where arguing it is probably going to cause too much friction than is worthwhile which is why I didn't push it as far as I wanted to.

ha ha ... im probably not going to win employee of the year with my covid discussions .... might leave that one .... or it might also be something that if people ask is available , but we have not been made aware of ...... 

49 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Also it's a great way to get into other festivals if you have the time (we all have loads of leave carried over right?!)

Once you pay one deposit you can choose as many festivals as you want.

Some places allow you volunteer for a day in works time if it’s for a registered charity.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Already had this chat with work! They've said I could use the volunteer day for a festival once. I think in their mind it was things like painting school gates and cleaning up parks.😂

I think it’s a real backward step to exclude festivals from that initiative.  I know some organisations do. It’s comes from a place of thinking that volunteering for charities shouldn’t be fun or you shouldn’t benefit in any way.  If you are working in an Oxfam shop at a festival or on the high street, it’s still helping them massively.

Have been volunteering at Glasto for several years now, and will at the next one, in my case with Shelter doing bar work. Can only echo the thoughts of others in this thread that it's a great experience and, for me at least, it feels to know you're contributing, even in some small way, to helping keep Glastonbury such a beloved and positive experience for people.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Ozanne said:

For anyone without a ticket I can say that volunteering is a great way to get into the festival, help out and meet new people too. I’d thoroughly recommend it. 

As someone who goes to Glastonbury solo, I'd say that volunteering is an ideal way of doing it. Usually a good community of people to slot into 🙂 

• Upvote 1

On 12/20/2020 at 12:04 AM, deepkittycaz said:

As someone who goes to Glastonbury solo, I'd say that volunteering is an ideal way of doing it. Usually a good community of people to slot into 🙂 

Absolutely agree with this.  I’ve got plans to do other festivals with mates I met in the Oxfam field at Glasto.  The campsites have a really community feel to them.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:01 PM, waltere said:

Have been volunteering at Glasto for several years now, and will at the next one, in my case with Shelter doing bar work. Can only echo the thoughts of others in this thread that it's a great experience and, for me at least, it feels to know you're contributing, even in some small way, to helping keep Glastonbury such a beloved and positive experience for people.

What shifts do you do with Shelter?

On 12/19/2020 at 1:01 PM, incident said:

The law says -

For most people who have still been working it has been practicably possible to take the leave though.  It’s not the employers fault that there’s nothing to do when you are on your leave! 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

For most people who have still been working it has been practicably possible to take the leave though.  It’s not the employers fault that there’s nothing to do when you are on your leave! 

While I can't be arsed to dig it out, there's an accompanying guidance document that gives a cancelled holiday as being an example of when the law can be applied.

It's not clear cut in either direction.

I have volunteered 6 times now on the recycling crew and great way to experience the festival- yes the work is hard and mucky at times (I did recycling centre last year for the 1st time).

Good campsite and facilities and I have made some good friends over the years who I meet up with when  I am there.  I also meet up with my friends that get ordinary tickets too which is great as I go solo, which overall I don't mind.  I have tried a couple of times to get ordinary tickets- not because I didn't want to volunteer but just so we could go as a family but wasn't successful.

• Upvote 1

Would just point out that if Glastonbury were to be cancelled again, the way the Oxfam priority system works is that anyone doing 2 festivals gets themselves on the list for the following year - so anyone who chose to could not-technically-but-nearly guarantee themselves a place at Glastonbury 2022 by signing up for / working at any 2 events in 2021. Precedent is that if the worst happens and those events don't go ahead, they still count towards priority status.

8 hours ago, March Hare said:

What shifts do you do with Shelter?

As a general rule shifts run 11am-7pm and 7pm-3am, you'll likely have one shift across weds/thurs and an afternoon and a night during the weekend. This is isn't always the case (e.g. last year me and my group had Thursday night and then saturday and sunday afternoons), but is by far the most likely outcome.

I will point out though that if you haven't done it with them before getting a place for the next one is going to be very hard - they always give priority to those who have done it before and on top of that for next year anyone who was signed up for 2020 has first refusal on places.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, incident said:

Would just point out that if Glastonbury were to be cancelled again, the way the Oxfam priority system works is that anyone doing 2 festivals gets themselves on the list for the following year - so anyone who chose to could not-technically-but-nearly guarantee themselves a place at Glastonbury 2022 by signing up for / working at any 2 events in 2021. Precedent is that if the worst happens and those events don't go ahead, they still count towards priority status.

Normally I struggle with annual leave to do this. But if Glasto is cancelled I’ll definitely look at getting 2 with Oxfam in. 

Oxfam was a great experience last year. Would still always rather be a general ticket holder, but it’s certainly a good option