Y Not 2021

Jack.194

2018 was a massive improvement with metal trackways all around the car parks. In 2019 the weather turned crap with high winds and rain but they kept everything going and they were constantly putting woodchips down but faced a loosing battle so couldn't fault the effort. 

6 minutes ago, Zebes said:

I've heard talk of them returning to the old site but using some of the fields on the current site for parking

Just had a look at the plans. It looks like they are using 50/50 old site and new site. Straddling between them. Car parking and half the camping in the new site they took on in 2018. Arena and other half of camping in the old site pre 2017. Considering the capacity is 10k less that might reduce the amount of space they actually end up using. 

2 minutes ago, Zebes said:

Cheers for that!

Looking at where the car parks are it's still going to be a fair trek for some. Not me though, campervan field now at my age 😂

Yeah the car park to some camp sites looks a bit of a ball-ache especially if its bad weather. Looks like have to walk through or at the side of the arena. Suppose its not Glasto / Boomtown massive so won't be much of an issue. 

On 3/3/2021 at 9:17 PM, Rumblestripe said:

It's on the top of a hill and very exposed if it rains. In music terms it is very "indie" with not much in the way of variety. Might be a plus for you might not. I went in 2019 weather was pretty lousy, the arena was late opening on the Saturday but it drains well and doesn't get as muddy as some festivals. I gave up on the Sunday and drove home as they were even later opening the arena, there was a strong rumour that they were going to abandon and it was absolutely chucking it down. They didn't in the end but a lot of artists were sacked off as main stage acts were moved into tents.

On the plus side it is quite relaxed with reasonably priced bars and an acceptable number and variety of food vendors. Security is fairly relaxed no problem smuggling a little booze into the arena as long as you don't take the pizz. The car parks are farmers fields but I had no problem getting my mini off on Sunday although the fields had taken a lot of rain.

Thank you for this, pretty much the evaluation I was after. Does it stay open late or shut off at 11/12? 

Is it worth a go? 

8 hours ago, Samjones said:

Stereophonics didn’t headline that long ago, bombay bumped up from sun to headliner this year and blossoms are a pretty weak headliner imo when they are thursday at truck and sub at tramlines. Plenty of people I’d see just a bit underwhelming for me

Bombay are a stable festival band. I prefer Blossoms live compared to their albums. 

Have you been before? What's the vibe like? 

ie, loads of kids running around or a good mix? Truck used to be an ace fest until they sold out. 

As a first timer, the weather is my main concern.

I'm absolutely fine at carrying on in the rain & mud so that doesn't bother me, it's more that this festival appears to have a habit of calling things off when the weather turns. Would hate to make the effort to travel there to have the festival axed halfway through or bands abandoned. Looks like that's been issue 3 years on the bounce.

Have they been over-reacting or is it a micro climate issue at the location?

10 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

As a first timer, the weather is my main concern.

I'm absolutely fine at carrying on in the rain & mud so that doesn't bother me, it's more that this festival appears to have a habit of calling things off when the weather turns. Would hate to make the effort to travel there to have the festival axed halfway through or bands abandoned. Looks like that's been issue 3 years on the bounce.

Have they been over-reacting or is it a micro climate issue at the location?

To be fair apart from 2017 which was shit it's not been that bad. Yes 2019 some bands had to be moved inside tents which meant some bands got cut but this was mainly due to the wind. I live and work nearby and it's not any different weather to anywhere else it's just been a bit unlucky at times. That's the good old British weather for you!

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Zebes said:

To be fair apart from 2017 which was shit it's not been that bad. Yes 2019 some bands had to be moved inside tents which meant some bands got cut but this was mainly due to the wind. I live and work nearby and it's not any different weather to anywhere else it's just been a bit unlucky at times. That's the good old British weather for you!

The problem is you don't really hear of this happening to other festivals - they seem to be able to cope with wind and rain...

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

The problem is you don't really hear of this happening to other festivals - they seem to be able to cope with wind and rain...

When the weather becomes extreme no British festival can cope tbf. I've been to Glastonbury when stages had to shut down on a couple of occasions. Boardmasters got fully cancelled in 2019. Boomtown carried on the same year but the first day was ropey with stages being blown on to festival goers and had to put the acts on smaller stages. Been to Leeds where they have cancelled all the late night entertainment because of rain. IOW has had issues over the years. 

1 hour ago, Zebes said:

Ah this is reassuring to hear, cheers. 

I was starting to get the impression that, whilst they have been unlucky with the weather, they aren't really very prepared for it or it doesn't take much to cancel bands.

Really hoping this can go ahead. Have been thinking about going for years and 2000 Trees being cancelled has encouraged me to give this one a go. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Found some bits of info on days from artists websites:

Friday

Stereophonics
Manic Street Preachers
The Lathums
Sorry

Saturday

The Levellers
King No One

Sunday